Author Topic: Making heroics take longer to get..to encourage more lockbox use.  (Read 2132 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Was bored and decided to look at the forums some more.  Really?  SCR costs increased to 200 per heroic piece of gear?  Hah.  Very typical.

CO truely has lost the beard......it's now back in the days of impossibly long boring grinds for near useless travel powers that'd at best only free 1-2 advantage points up.

Oooooh, wait, I know, they want people to open more boxes so they are cutting off access to the free stuff.

I think PWE and the devs need to see these two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhz9OXy86a0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U

Champions online fails in a lot of aspects.

As it is, with regards of the first video, the freeforms being behind a pay wall, combined with how weak archtypes typically are, it can easily feel like CO is extorting you.  It tries to keep it's gameplay punishing for archtypes to "encourage" you to spend on it.  This makes the game feel like it's trying to "extort" the player.  It doesn't really let you truely experience the games major feature without an already large pay wall of 50 dollars.  Fifty, for one character slot.  It's a pay wall.  But the game also mixes somewhat into Type A: People would rather not spend money and see how far they can get without spending anything.  And many other cheaper items on the store are often items no one wants.

Then there are the whale items.  The lockboxes, what became of the vehicles before they were nerfed into uselessness yet still treated as whale items.

CO also failed in the second video by having tried to pander to whales.  And then backing out and turning itself into a bait and switch.  The same moral line that the second video speaks of is the very moral line I spoke of about the same time the video came out.  Funny, I wish I'd seen it when it was released then, I'd have posted it in the CO forums.  CO has been nothing but a type B game as a free to play, and a pay to win that catered to nothing but whales.  So when it tried to pull out, it ended up in a huge vacuum by baiting/switching due on part of the usual knee-jerk reactions it took.

The game's development path isn't about how to make it funner anymore.  It's about how to squeeze more from the players it has left.

Edit:http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/1204022/fc-31-20151210a-14-teleios-ascendant

In the forums on later pages, people are reporting 200 silver champion tokens per heroic piece and only 5-6 per unity mission.  Really.  Now, they say they'll expand on the availability but, I'm going to be honest, I don't believe them, with the kind of tactics they'd used before I have no reason to.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:56:48 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: Making heroics take longer to get..to encourage more lockbox use.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »
CO's definitely given me my money's worth. The ways they try to make money sometimes is annoying but it has yet to ruin my enjoyment of the game. Knock on plastiform..

I think no one will disagree that wanting to spend money is way better than being forced to and CoH was great at this at the end. I was subbed and Still spent extra on some things. I was on a tight budget and the things I bought didn't help me 'win' the game at all but they were enticing enough that I bought them anyway. *That's* how it's done and they did it up.

Whales... *snicker* well.. hmm.. ha. Yeah. What did he call it? Morally somethingbad? Glad it's not just me being old school about that situation..

Here's what it boils down to for me. Whatever the motivation or cause is I'm just tired of constantly changing my builds or having my builds constantly changed for me.

And.

I'm tired of this heavy, negative, atmosphere in-game that precedes and follows all these big nerfs. Just when everyone gets over what we just lost, it's time to start another round of worrying what we'll lose next that is followed up by a period of adjusting to that loss which is followed by a brief period of fun for those of us who were able to find it again which is followed by ... what was the first thing again..?

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>