Author Topic: Powerball Odds and Statistics  (Read 25548 times)

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: Powerball Odds and Statistics
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2016, 04:45:16 PM »
I've gotta say, that whole paragraph comes across a little defensive over an honest question.  I'd think just about anyone else participating in this thread would find a dedicated CoH fan not having heard of Arcana almost as odd as, say, not knowing what IOs are.  Its just part of the cultural background noise.

If there was one fault I'd assign to the CoT team its that their customer facing has been a bit rough.  I'm sure they are an excellent team of developers, programmers, and graphics designers but the public relations could use some attention as well.

Good to hear it!  Arcana, anyone from the CoT team approach you if for nothing else than a rough consulting session?

they will collaborate(or not) depending on desire and or time constraints. He may very well not have heard of arcana if he did not frequent the forums. I knew of her because she kept on putting out thos posts with inconvenient(but mathematically sound) facts that I didnt want to hear. too bad for me. If I had not had time on my hands at work I would not have spent near as much time in the forums.

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »
I'd think just about anyone else participating in this thread would find a dedicated CoH fan not having heard of Arcana almost as odd as, say, not knowing what IOs are.  Its just part of the cultural background noise.

I don't find it odd at all. Granted if you hung out in the CoH forums it was hard to miss Arcanaville. But the vast majority of the playerbase rarely set foot in the forums. In my circle of a dozen friends there's one other who knows for certain who Arcanaville is and another other frequent forum poster who might. The rest of them have no clue who she is; this despite the fact that they were actively managing supergroups, building bases, and hanging with the RP community.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
  • Missing Worlds Media co-founder/senior developer.
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 05:58:53 PM »
I've gotta say, that whole paragraph comes across a little defensive over an honest question.  I'd think just about anyone else participating in this thread would find a dedicated CoH fan not having heard of Arcana almost as odd as, say, not knowing what IOs are.  Its just part of the cultural background noise.

If there was one fault I'd assign to the CoT team its that their customer facing has been a bit rough.  I'm sure they are an excellent team of developers, programmers, and graphics designers but the public relations could use some attention as well.

Good to hear it!  Arcana, anyone from the CoT team approach you if for nothing else than a rough consulting session?

It wasn't an "honest" question. It was an accusation and it shifted the burden of supporting or denying the claim to the accused.  It assumed specific knowledge based on circumstance without establishing the particular situation substantially contributed to the likely existence of such knowledge. If the activity in question (playing the City of Heroes game or any of its connected products) required knowledge of certain persons, or if these peoples' identities were placed in a prominent position for an extended period of time then there would be substance to that question but clearly there wasn't. The game credits that appeared during game start only reflected the studio name or the name of the parent company (Paragon, NC Soft). The team might have been reflected in an "About" menu or on an online site in a relevant section but during normal play there would be no reason to examine these items outside of personal curiosity. Then it didn't just stop there. The accusation was then extended to an entire team of people who had invested a great deal of personal time and money into the project. And then to compound the mistake it was compounded further by trying to mask the inappropriate nature of the accusation by trying to minimize it as an "honest question". In law this is known as a "leading question" in the areas of logic or philosophy it also known as  a "complex question", "compound question", or similar.  Saying "that whole paragraph comes across as a little defensive for an honest question" is not only victim-blaming but it's frankly, a lie. Then you make an overdrawn appeal to the majority by saying "I'd think just about anyone else participating in this thread would find a dedicated CoH fan of not having heard of Arcana almost as, say, not knowing what IOs are." This is also an example of the "No true Scotsman" argument.  My paragraph wasn't defensive - it was angry. You seriously insulted me and people I'm close to.

Our customer facing is rough? Have you checked such gaming publications as Massively? We have one (1) guy handling all our social media, press releases, and forum announcement follow ups. and he's been doing quite well.  If you check our Facebook page you will see that we have been rated as "Very responsive" to the public. This is also said by the people who regularly frequent our forum.

And, yes, I'm still a bit angry.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 06:14:25 PM »
CoT sounds like it's only going to be for smart people.Guess I'm out.

COH and all good games have their math in the background.  I appreciate it, but don't care.  I just want a fun game. 

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 06:22:25 PM »
I don't find it odd at all. Granted if you hung out in the CoH forums it was hard to miss Arcanaville. But the vast majority of the playerbase rarely set foot in the forums. In my circle of a dozen friends there's one other who knows for certain who Arcanaville is and another other frequent forum poster who might. The rest of them have no clue who she is; this despite the fact that they were actively managing supergroups, building bases, and hanging with the RP community.

I regret not learning the names of other players and the developers until the last two years of the game.  I played from beta to close.  I only saw what was on the COH home page and facebook posts.  I thought the forums was more for technical support and just general game announcements. 

I miss not just the games but the official forums for accessible people and helpful players in general.

....I went to paragonwiki FAR more than the official forums for many of my how-to's and questions...

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 06:29:12 PM »
It wasn't an "honest" question. It was an accusation and it shifted the burden of supporting or denying the claim to the accused.  It assumed specific knowledge based on circumstance without establishing the particular situation substantially contributed to the likely existence of such knowledge. If the activity in question (playing the City of Heroes game or any of its connected products) required knowledge of certain persons, or if these peoples' identities were placed in a prominent position for an extended period of time then there would be substance to that question but clearly there wasn't. The game credits that appeared during game start only reflected the studio name or the name of the parent company (Paragon, NC Soft). The team might have been reflected in an "About" menu or on an online site in a relevant section but during normal play there would be no reason to examine these items outside of personal curiosity. Then it didn't just stop there. The accusation was then extended to an entire team of people who had invested a great deal of personal time and money into the project. And then to compound the mistake it was compounded further by trying to mask the inappropriate nature of the accusation by trying to minimize it as an "honest question". In law this is known as a "leading question" in the areas of logic or philosophy it also known as  a "complex question", "compound question", or similar.  Saying "that whole paragraph comes across as a little defensive for an honest question" is not only victim-blaming but it's frankly, a lie. Then you make an overdrawn appeal to the majority by saying "I'd think just about anyone else participating in this thread would find a dedicated CoH fan of not having heard of Arcana almost as, say, not knowing what IOs are." This is also an example of the "No true Scotsman" argument.  My paragraph wasn't defensive - it was angry. You seriously insulted me and people I'm close to.

Our customer facing is rough? Have you checked such gaming publications as Massively? We have one (1) guy handling all our social media, press releases, and forum announcement follow ups. and he's been doing quite well.  If you check our Facebook page you will see that we have been rated as "Very responsive" to the public. This is also said by the people who regularly frequent our forum.

And, yes, I'm still a bit angry.

I am a kickstarter contributer. I have been very happy with MWM communications. admittedly, I dont even look at the lore posts, I prefer to get that in game, but thats just me. I have learned a lot about the nuts and bolts of game design from reading the tech posts, and people like irish girl and VO. I cant wait to see a character creator, but that will come sooner or later. I am curious as to when you will go full time, but thats a big step. VO has become valium online lately, but that is from the outside looking in. they are very busy doing many important tasks to go to alpha. Its easy to sit in my recliner and think that someone should be quicker getting a game going, not so easy to do it.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2016, 06:35:10 PM »
From what I remember, City of Titans is going by a "everyone has even stats and everyone follows the same rules" formula.  So math will not be as huge of a deal like it was in city of heroes.  By following consistency of rules, they'll be able to ensure that powers behave as you always expect them to rather than powers say, changing for pvp.  Thats how games become challenging rather than punishing, and challenging games rarely ever need any math.  They are made so your challenged but your always learning, which is a game I can get behind.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2016, 06:47:15 PM »
From what I remember, City of Titans is going by a "everyone has even stats and everyone follows the same rules" formula.  So math will not be as huge of a deal like it was in city of heroes.  By following consistency of rules, they'll be able to ensure that powers behave as you always expect them to rather than powers say, changing for pvp.  Thats how games become challenging rather than punishing, and challenging games rarely ever need any math.  They are made so your challenged but your always learning, which is a game I can get behind.
We use a system called MEDIC for combat and something called "Lensing" for level differences. The math is simple and uniform involving basic operations. We try to keep things in terms of relative percentages for uniformity.
Missing World Media primary co-founder, senior developer, UI/UX acting lead, and software toolsmith.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2016, 06:57:18 PM »
I am a kickstarter contributer. I have been very happy with MWM communications. admittedly, I dont even look at the lore posts, I prefer to get that in game, but thats just me. I have learned a lot about the nuts and bolts of game design from reading the tech posts, and people like irish girl and VO. I cant wait to see a character creator, but that will come sooner or later. I am curious as to when you will go full time, but thats a big step. VO has become valium online lately, but that is from the outside looking in. they are very busy doing many important tasks to go to alpha. Its easy to sit in my recliner and think that someone should be quicker getting a game going, not so easy to do it.
If you saw the posts about that color picker mockup that was my work (and it's been since improved and had some design issues fixed). And that was part of the character creator design. At the moment we are waiting on an outside contractor to finalize our character base and bill us to complete some stuff. I wish I could say/show more. While waiting I've been working on the login/authentication system (which includes the sign on screen), the game lobby, and maybe the opening cinematics. We are pretty darn close to releasing the character build system as a standalone product but how close is difficult to say when you are waiting on an outside party.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 07:21:35 PM »
The number of people playing actually improves the odds of winning for everyone
What I meant is that increasing the number of players increases the probability that *someone* will win because that means the number of draws goes up directly. If we distribute the win chance across the number of players then, yes, the odds of improve for everyone. The increase is, admittedly, tiny with numbers this large but it *is* there. When the overall chances of a win go up the individual players chances do not remain static.

Your calculations are correct but your math is wrong.  If I put in a single ticket, the odds of my winning on that draw are one in 292,201,338.  Those odds remain constant no matter how many other people enter.  The correct way to think out this is to consider that when they draw the balls is  just a procedural issue for the lottery: the power ball lottery is mathematically identical to a lottery in which the winning numbers were drawn ahead of time and kept secret, and every ticket entered by a participant is a single attempt to match that draw.  When I buy a ticket, the odds of that one ticket matching the winning combination is one in 292,201,338.  Those odds are unaffected by any event that happens afterward.  If no one else buys a ticket, the odds of that ticket matching the winning numbers is one in 292,201,338.  If someone else buys a ticket afterward, the odds remain one in 292,201,338.

There's no such thing as "distributing the win chance among the players."  In this context, that is a statistically meaningless statement.  The chance of a set of numbers matching the winning powerball combination, either in the real powerball lottery or the modified one above, are independent of all other draws.  The only probability that *is* altered by the number of people entering is the chance of having *any* winner.  Those odds increase with more entrants.  But the odds of any particular *ticket* winning is fixed at one in 292,201,338.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2016, 07:35:46 PM »
Try dice tossing for example using a standard 6-sided die.

This is a good analogy to build on.  The lottery numbers are big which make them intuitively unwieldy.  But conceptually speaking, we can reduce the size of the lottery to a single number: one six sided die.  Lets imagine a lottery in which I roll a single six sided die and people are allowed to enter that lottery by entering tickets with a single number, 1 through 6.  The odds for a single ticket to win are one in six, I believe everyone will agree.  Now suppose A enters the lottery and enters a single ticket, with the number three.  A's odds of being a winner are one in six.  Question: if B enters the lottery, does that change the odds of A winning?  Suppose ten, a hundred, even a thousand more people enter.  At this point its almost a certainty that at least one person will win, in fact many people will win and split the pot in that case.  However, what are the odds that A is one of the winners?

In all cases the odds of A being one of the winners is one in six.  It remains one in six no matter how many other people enter, no matter how those tickets are distributed, and no matter how many winners there ultimately are.  It has to be.  In fact, consider that powerball winners are allowed to pick their own numbers, *or* they are allowed to let the computer pick them.  In that case, the odds of a single ticket winning are based solely on the odds of a random number generator picking the same six numbers as another random number generator in a single run.  Once that ticket is printed, that chance is fixed.  Nothing can change the odds of that one ticket randomly hitting the correct numbers.

Some people get stuck on conceptualizing statistical problems, the infamous Monte Haul paradox demonstrates that.  In that case, nothing short of an explicit experiment will convince them, if that.  I would suggest to program one, using smaller numbers to make the runs reasonable.  Imagine a lottery in which you have to correctly guess a number from one to a hundred.  Write a program that randomly selects a ticket, then randomly selects the winning number.  Run a million times, see how many times that ticket wins.  Going to guess that will be about ten thousand.  Now run a second program identical to the first one, but on top of the initial lottery draw, also generate a thousand more random ticket entries.  Now see how often the first one wins.  Its going to still be about ten thousand.  Using your analysis of the math, you should be able to predict what the first entry's odds should be, if your "win sharing percentage" conjecture is correct.  Its going to be wrong.  I suspect, however, that before you finish writing the code for this experiment, the error in your thinking will become evident.  Because algorithmically, you'll start thinking about the ticket entries as histogram buckets, and then voila.

If that *still* doesn't convince you, then I would love to have you play my lottery.  I will engineer it so you have a one in a hundred chance of winning, but because you'll know your win percentage will increase with more entrants, I will computer generate a thousand more entrants.  Your chances will now improve to the point where the odds of you winning are significantly higher than the computed odds, and you'll be able to make a lot of money through repeated plays.  With luck, I could retire before you determine your error.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2016, 07:41:15 PM »

I've fielded a few questions, but nothing recently.  I don't really have the time to be a consistent participant, and so I suspect I would be more of a disruption than an aid: projects like this need reliability of contribution more than anything else in my opinion.

In either case, I don't think it is a reasonable thing to judge any of the development projects on whether or not they include me.  I am always open to discussions of any topic, time permitting.  However, development teams have to have their own vision of what is right for their games, and the will to stick to it without getting distracted.  I have a lot of ideas, having thought about this for a long time and actually put many of those ideas into practice in one form or another, so I'm a really big distraction in that sense.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2016, 07:52:54 PM »

I had no problem playing "anonymously" even on my home server.  It seems the average City of Heroes player not only had never heard of me, but hadn't really heard of anyone: not me, not Pilcrow, not EvilGecko or Stupid_Fanboy, not Troy Hickman or Mercedes Lackey, not Castle or Geko, Positron was the contact that handed out the really long task force, and Statesman was the guy on the box cover.  I'd get a "hey are you..." maybe two or three times a month on global, and of course the other "names" on the server generally recognized me, but if I didn't carry the Paragon Express card, almost no one else recognized my name.

Which, to be honest, was fine with me.  The fact that the vast overwhelming majority of players could play the game just fine without knowing any of us, knowing any of what we did, being totally unaware of the meta-discussions about the game going on, and having practically none of the knowledge most forum readers took for granted was something I considered a measure of success for the casual friendly nature of the game.  You didn't really need to know *anything* to enjoy playing it on some level.  Five year olds did it without any knowledge of the fact that resistance resists resistance debuffs or the difference between accuracy and tohit buffs or what the predicted markov terminus was for SR scaling resistances.  You didn't even need to know what enhancements were to play the game.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2016, 08:00:10 PM »
Your calculations are correct but your math is wrong.  If I put in a single ticket, the odds of my winning on that draw are one in 292,201,338.  Those odds remain constant no matter how many other people enter.  The correct way to think out this is to consider that when they draw the balls is  just a procedural issue for the lottery: the power ball lottery is mathematically identical to a lottery in which the winning numbers were drawn ahead of time and kept secret, and every ticket entered by a participant is a single attempt to match that draw.  When I buy a ticket, the odds of that one ticket matching the winning combination is one in 292,201,338.  Those odds are unaffected by any event that happens afterward.  If no one else buys a ticket, the odds of that ticket matching the winning numbers is one in 292,201,338.  If someone else buys a ticket afterward, the odds remain one in 292,201,338.

There's no such thing as "distributing the win chance among the players."  In this context, that is a statistically meaningless statement.  The chance of a set of numbers matching the winning powerball combination, either in the real powerball lottery or the modified one above, are independent of all other draws.  The only probability that *is* altered by the number of people entering is the chance of having *any* winner.  Those odds increase with more entrants.  But the odds of any particular *ticket* winning is fixed at one in 292,201,338.

The odds of a specific number sequence being generated is 1 in 292,201,338 by any particular randomizer - this is true and this remains constant. That's not the same as the odds of a person having picked that particular number sequence. You actually have multiple independent randomizers here. The lottery mechanism and the players. You are conflating them as one and the same. Each player is an indpendent number generator.  Say I have one standard 6-sided red dice and 100 standard 6-sided blue dice and I roll them at one time. What are the odds that any of the blue dice has the same value of the red dice? if it was 200 blue dice? Those odds DO change with the number of independent trials and they improve with increased numbers. This is the same kind of "lottery" that nature plays with the fertilization of eggs.  ;D Works pretty well despite some really crappy odds!

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2016, 08:08:56 PM »
I had no problem playing "anonymously" even on my home server.  It seems the average City of Heroes player not only had never heard of me, but hadn't really heard of anyone: not me, not Pilcrow, not EvilGecko or Stupid_Fanboy, not Troy Hickman or Mercedes Lackey, not Castle or Geko, Positron was the contact that handed out the really long task force, and Statesman was the guy on the box cover.  I'd get a "hey are you..." maybe two or three times a month on global, and of course the other "names" on the server generally recognized me, but if I didn't carry the Paragon Express card, almost no one else recognized my name.
Those were PEOPLE? You just making up names now aren't you? ;)

I admit I heard of Posi, Castle, and I think I heard of Arcana while the game was up, but never heard of the others. And I played since just before IOs till the end.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2016, 08:22:34 PM »
Seriously game statistics are no joke, by definition they are calculus, where dynamic changable values are compared and processed against other dynamic changable values.

Actually, the calculus most people think of when they think of "calculus" - differential and integral calculus - isn't often used to analyze MMOs.  In a practical sense, I only really used it once, to perform an approximate analysis of the SR scaling resistances.  And to be honest that analysis turned out to be somewhat rubbish which is why I followed that one up with a more discrete precise analysis.

To be frank, most of the math you need to analyze most MMOs out there is simple high school algebra, because to be frank that's all the math most MMO designers are comfortable with.  For complex analysis of dynamic situations, you're looking at statistical analysis as the approximation and Markov matrices and monte carlo analyses (aka simulations) as the less-approximation.

The biggest problem isn't the math, or the calculation part of the math.  Its the conceptual translation and interpretation of the math as it applies to the game.  There were a lot of forum analysts with reasonable quantitative skills that nevertheless could not apply them correctly to the game.  Their calculations were correct but those calculations didn't apply correctly to any part of the game.  Or sometimes they got tripped up on the precision of their calculations without asking whether those calculations were useful.

Here's my favorite version of math-correct, but mathematician-wrong.  Consider the infamous case of stacking resistances or stacking defense.  Question, when we stack equal numeric value resistances, does the benefit improve with stacking?  Here's the case that it does increase in benefit with stacking.

Suppose we have two powers granting 25% resistance each.  If we go from having no resistance to 25% resistance we lower incoming damage to 75% of original.  That means it takes 1/.75 = 1.33x the damage to kill us, relative to having no resistances (ignoring regeneration for simplicity sake).  But when we go from 25% resistance to 50% resistance, we go from 1/.75=1.33x damage to 0.75/0.50=1.5x damage to kill us, going from 25% resistance to 50% resistance.  And in fact if we were to stack one more, we'd go from 0.75/.5=1.5 to 0.5/0.25=2.0x damage to kill us - twice as much with the third stack as without.  So clearly, even though each of those powers is numerically identical, stacking them on top of each other improves their net value.  Each one gives more benefit than the previous one.

However, here's the case that it does *not* increase the benefit.

We start with an entity with no resistance.  We shoot 1000 points of damage at it, and it takes 1000 points of damage (ignoring tohit chance, which just reduces the numbers by a percentage).  We now give it a 25% resistance power.  It now takes 750 points of damage.  The resistance power in effect blocked 250 points of damage.  Now we give it another 25% resistance power.  It now takes 500 points of damage.  That's 250 points less than with just one power.  So that second resistance power did exactly the same thing, it blocked 250 points of damage.  A third such power would do the same thing: block 250 points of damage.  Ergo, when players say stacking resistances gets stronger, they are wrong.  Each is just as strong and does just as much as the previous one.

Who's right?  The first one.  But why?  Where's the math error in the second analysis?  There isn't one.  The problem isn't in the math, the problem is in the head of the second mathematician.  Specifically, it is in the question of what is the value of a resistance power?  The second analyst looks at resistance powers literally.  They block damage.  So the analysis focuses on how much damage they block, and since each one blocks the same amount of damage, the second analyst concludes each stack of resistance must have the same value to the player.  If two things do the same thing, they must have the same value.

But that's not how an MMO player values resistance.  In fact there's no way for that player to directly perceive how much damage is *blocked*.  Instead, MMO players value resistance powers the way they do all damage mitigation powers: do they keep me alive?  The standard of value is *not* how much they block, but in a sense how much they admit.  I called this the admittance effect on the City of Heroes forums.  We don't notice the damage we avoid, only the damage we take.  And we don't directly perceive the damage, we directly perceive *time* - how long we stay alive, how long before we need a heal, how long we can tank this AV.  We directly perceive, in a colloquial sense, "how long does this mitigation work before I die?"  And because that's how players judge mitigation, and that's what goes into their build decisions and that's how they will value a power, that's the standard we have to judge them on mathematically if we want to make a useful statement to players.

As mathematical analysts, we have to be useful to the non-mathematicians.  So we have to figure out what players want, and tune our analysis to match.  In this case, the mathematically correct analysis looks at increasing survivability.  And that survivability varies inversely proportional to damage admittance - the inverse of damage mitigation.  When we go from 1/.75 to 0.75/0.5 to 0.5/0.25 we go from 1.33 to 1.5 to 2.0.  That is escalating return on investment.  The other analysis where we go from 250 to 250 to 250 is quantitatively correct, but its not talking about the same thing players talk about when they talk about "value."  It takes the word "value" and perverts it into something that is mathematically correct but inconsistent with what players themselves mean, and that's deception at best and intellectual dishonesty at worst.

This is the hard part.  Not the calculations.  Have Wolfram Alpha do the calculations for you.  The hard part is translating the world, and people's perceptions of the world, into math in the first place.  You don't need calculus, you need comprehension.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2016, 08:24:33 PM »

I admit I heard of Posi, Castle, and I think I heard of Arcana while the game was up, but never heard of the others. And I played since just before IOs till the end.
Pretty sure Aaron Williams played too (he lives near me and Mercedes Lackey is within about 2-300 miles). He's the creator of Nodwick and he had his characters from that series in strips as CoH characters. That's the only reason I even knew he played. I suspected the developers played and for all I know I might have been on missions with them. I didn't know for sure and didn't care. If they had ever been revealed to me and even given me the time of day I'd at most used them as an information source about the game i.e. strategy guide. At most it would have been the idle chatter I had with anyone else or shop talk. Would I have held them as inspirational? Yes. It's why I'm doing what I'm doing now. They showed what is possible.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 08:26:54 PM »
The odds of a specific number sequence being generated is 1 in 292,201,338 by any particular randomizer - this is true and this remains constant. That's not the same as the odds of a person having picked that particular number sequence. You actually have multiple independent randomizers here. The lottery mechanism and the players. You are conflating them as one and the same. Each player is an indpendent number generator.  Say I have one standard 6-sided red dice and 100 standard 6-sided blue dice and I roll them at one time. What are the odds that any of the blue dice has the same value of the red dice? if it was 200 blue dice? Those odds DO change with the number of independent trials and they improve with increased numbers. This is the same kind of "lottery" that nature plays with the fertilization of eggs.  ;D Works pretty well despite some really crappy odds!

Yes, the odds of *any* matching change with more trials, because the *any* changes with more trials.  But that's congruent to saying that the more entries there are, the greater the chance that there is a winner, that among all of them, there is at least one winner.  But that is not what you said.  You said the odds increase for a single player, that the odds of a specific ticket winning increase with more entries.  That is not the same thing you are saying here.

Because your wording is inconsistent and ambiguous, you should specify what you mean with precision.  I am a lottery player.  I buy a single lottery ticket with a single set of (potential) winning numbers.  One ticket, one entry.  Question: do the odds of me specifically winning change with the number of people who enter the lottery.  True or false.

avelworldcreator

• Elite Boss
    • Basketcase Software
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 08:33:21 PM »
And, Arcana? You got to know I just shared that posting on game play with in our internal gameplay channel don't you?  ;D

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »

Pilcrow was the winner of the first and only "most valuable forum poster" contest.  He edged me out by some number of votes the community people were too merciful to inform me about.  He's also the person who is credited with suggesting a system similar to enhancement diversification before that system was created and released by the devs, among other things.

EvilGeko was a relatively infamous personality on the forums, noted primarily for promoting the regeneration powerset and making controversial (but generally interesting) statements.  He was the generally less curmudgeonly version of Venture, perhaps.

Stupid_Fanboy was less well known generally, but a frequent poster on the forums in the Scrapper forums in particular, and most famous for catching the "discount error" in Claws, which caused the devs to work on a complete revamp of the powerset.

Troy Hickman is a comic book writer who wrote the second City of Heroes comic book series, and more relevant to players of the game his "Smoke and Mirrors" story from the comic books was translated into Twilight Son's task force.

You know Mercedes Lackey as Victoria Victrix here.  She was involved in some Hail Mary activities here, and there are rumors she occasionally writes stuff.

Geko was the forum handle for the original "powers guy" in charge of basically everything you'd associate Castle with, but before Castle.