Author Topic: Alien life theories  (Read 14379 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Alien life theories
« on: January 26, 2016, 04:24:04 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-havent-we-found-aliens-yet-2016-1

Or, as is often suggested, it is possible that extra-terrestrial life is taking great pains to avoid us.

YES! finally my theory makes it into the spotlight! although as a little snippet at the end...
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Alien life theories
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 04:55:09 AM »
what a letdown. when I saw a thread called 'alien life theories' started by Joshex i immediately lamented there not being enough mice in the universe to click that link as much as it deserves. then it's just a link to an article.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 08:34:36 AM »
what a letdown. when I saw a thread called 'alien life theories' started by Joshex i immediately lamented there not being enough mice in the universe to click that link as much as it deserves. then it's just a link to an article.

lol, it's true I have a few theories that are way out there about aliens, most were developed as story or game premises for fictional universes then made me think if they couldn't be somewhat true.

If you would like to hear some of those I'll gladly supply some, I just thought If I was too manic here the thread would get too much flaming and eventually locked by agge.

#1: Life on Jupiter. You'd think that with Jupiter being so far from the sun it would be pretty cold, especially since it's not in the so called habitable zone of our star. A not very well known fact however is that we have tried to send a probe to Jupiter in the past.

the probe descended into Jupiter's atmosphere to find that it was actually warm, then hot, then 115 degrees Centigrade hot before the probe's instruments failed. and even in all that time of descent (hours) it never hit the surface. Several theories have been produced from this information, 1; the probe failed when it hit the surface (which is how scientists have somewhat given a probable distance to the surface of the planet from), 2; Jupiter doesn't have a surface it's just a big ball of gas like a very very small star, 3; (the theory no one will talk about) the surface is much further down, meaning the actual planet is much smaller than visibly suggested making the gravitational pull under the clouds much less that on the exterior, the probe also descended at the equator meaning there might be lower temperatures on the planet near the poles which would be habitable.

the reason 3 is refuted is because our understanding of gravity requires the mass of the planet to be the generator of the pull force, but what if we're wrong?

The famous storm on the southern hemisphere of Jupiter (it's been spinning non-stop for over 100 years) was recently recorded in high definition by a passing satellite we sent out. There's a massive perfect triangle in the middle (presumed to be a glimpse of something on the surface), and it's rotating. Me thinks it's a GIANT wind turbine taking advantage of upper atmospheric currents to power the planet.

However with all those layers and layers of electromagnetically charged storm clouds no signals will be able to get through and no light can be seen through such a thick horde of clouds.

there could be neighbors much closer, and for that matter stronger and possibly larger than we've ever thought.

but again it's a wild idea, and definitely has no proof behind it, and with the hostility and temperature of those storm clouds there is no interest in losing more equipment and thus no interest in any more missions to find out whats below those clouds.

the heat however could and most likely is internal, it could be a greenhouse gas effect trapping the heat below the thick clouds so even slow amounts of heat gain add up, it seems way to cold to be any sort of solar/compressed burned gas/exploding atoms activity. It could be more like prehistoric earth to put it in context. maybe that's where the dinosaurs came from? (for the sake of nostalgia; the terrible thunder lizards style) DINOSAURS, with semi-automatics!

ok I troll. it was just too tempting not to troll.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 08:47:12 AM »
I see no reason not to extend this to say we've not encountered other life because it was all wiped out by the Jupiterian(?) dinosaurs.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 01:33:17 PM »
I see no reason not to extend this to say we've not encountered other life because it was all wiped out by the Jupiterian(?) dinosaurs.

yeah it could be!, maybe they ate it all!, after all, if they made it to earth that means they were space worthy! heck maybe they can only inhabit hot planets, maybe global warming is caused by undetectable energy waves from the Jupiterian Dinos as they attempt to reclaim earth! maybe we are all just a crop that's grown overripe! they may have multiple planets they colonize with "puny humans" and other "puny animals" and come to them in a cycle to harvest!

and after they harvest they clean up, by removing all signs of knowledge and civilization except the most primitive, so the next batch of humans and animals have to start from the basics all over again! but when they clean up sometimes they are sloppy! that's why there's evidence of prehuman civilizations!

and here we sit, thinking we're all tough with our heavy artillery and nuclear war heads, heck even attempts at getting superpowers are futile, cause before they come, they raise the temperature so all we can do is lay on the ground panting.

too hot to fight back.

why us? we are convenient, firstly by nature we produce hordes and warehouses full of food, we do all the effort and gathering for them, and we are conveniently geared to evolve our practices and knowledge so that by the time they come to harvest we have invented preservatives and methods of mass food storage that make it last nigh forever and have so much in storage that it can last for hundreds of years, because we know the people that own it wont dare give it away or sell it cheaper if they are over stocked, greed is inbred into us. Secondly we all have the inbred habit to array ourselves neatly into confined harvest areas called cities and neatly into drawers called houses separated out by things we call bedrooms.

imagine a row of apartment buildings like corn in a corn field, gotta pick all the ears, window by window.

isn't it convenient that there was some "clean wipe" right before we came around but then there were no more dinos?

heck maybe all those "land glyphs" on earth and other planets were the doings of past humans who figured it out and wanted to leave some sign to those after them of what had happened so we don't befall the same fate! or maybe it was left by the dinos as some sort of marker over where past cities used to be to better cover it up.

all that greed, all those IPs and monopolies and ownerships, all that greedily stored money, they will all disappear, and the next batch will start fresh without overbearing ownerships restraining people from competition, people can just go get their own stuff as they want it for a while.

heck maybe that's how they justify using us as livestock, we are just so corrupt and wicked that eating us is doing the universe a favor.

hehe and that's how quick trolling can lead to way far out conspiracy theories!

Edit; and all those alien abductions! they are samplings! and the anal probings are testing for sugar levels in our bloodstreams! and those bits of metal people say the aliens left in them, they are tags that leave a traceable genetic marker or change the genetics so the offspring of that person will be best for harvest!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:02:21 PM by Joshex »

Baaleos

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 04:22:01 PM »
Statistically speaking, the chances of there NOT being life out there besides our own, is very, very,very low.

The chances of that race being advanced enough to reach Earth however is remote.
It is true that our own understanding of the universe is still 'in-development'
But given what we know about the universe - relating to the maximum speed an object can reach. (Only neutrino's have been observed to have the potential to out run light).

So the only realistic (if not theoretical) way for an object or other intelligence to reach Earth would be to work around the laws of relativity, using a sub-light propulsion that bends space, instead of trying to outrun light.

So, once again, this is another criteria we are putting on any alien life out there.
If they are to reach Earth in less than a few 100 years, they would need to have developed the holy-grail of space travel, some sort of wormhole propulsion - or put themselves into stasis.

If they put themselves into stasis just for the purpose of coming to Earth.
The question would be : Why?
They would have to have had a really good reason for coming all the way from their planet hundreds of light years away - on a journey that most likely would take upwards of 500 years.
The only conceivable reason I can think of for an extraterrestrial race to justify the expense of such a journey would be desperation.

Eg: Their own planet was at risk.
or
      They were short of natural resources.

Both of those scenarios would suggest the aliens would want to either coexist ON earth, or to conquer Earth.

The only reason I could think for an alien race to make peaceful contact with us, would be if they did come to a peak in their evolution where they achieved the apex of technological advances.
Making exploring the universe cheap and fast.
If you can get from Earth to an alien planet in the blink of an eye, for 0 cost, your more likely to be in a happy mood.
If it took you 500 years to do so, and cost a shit load of resources, then you might be a bit pissed off and want compensated.

The other potential way of alien contact being made, is the avoidance of physical contact, but instead the theory of mental contact.
If it were possible to transmit a consciousness - or some sort of transcendence from physical form to 'beyond' form.
Then the laws of relativity may not apply - making it possible to explore the universe at fast speeds.

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 06:13:52 PM »
There would be no shortage of natural resources.Anything on earth would be most likely be found in the asteroid belt or other planets or the stars themselves.If they are smart enough to travel through space
they would watch us first.I know I would not be in a hurry to help us into space.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 11:47:03 PM »
Statistically speaking, the chances of there NOT being life out there besides our own, is very, very,very low.

The chances of that race being advanced enough to reach Earth however is remote.

The problem with both statements is that we do not yet have enough information to calculate those odds accurately.  The error bars for both calculations are about 100%.

We currently extrapolate from an example of one, which is statistically dangerous.  We look at how life developed on Earth, and conclude that because life began so soon on Earth after it formed, the odds are good that the statistical likelihood for life to develop in any environment hospitable to it is high.  If the odds were low, it is more likely that life would form much later, because in effect we'd have to wait long enough to "beat the odds."  But again: that's extrapolating from an example of one. Similarly, we look at the history of life on Earth and note that while life has existed for about three and a half billion years, intelligent life capable of sustaining a technological civilization took almost all of that three point five billion years to arise, which suggests that either the odds of it happening are low, or it requires a lot of things to happen in a particular order that simply take a lot of time.

Suggests is about the best we can do, given a sample size of one.

But given what we know about the universe - relating to the maximum speed an object can reach. (Only neutrino's have been observed to have the potential to out run light).

Neutrinos have not been observed exceeding the speed of light.  That turned out to be what most scientists were betting on: a subtle flaw in calibration of instrumentation.  Given that neutrino oscillation has been confirmed, the odds of neutrinos being superluminous or even light-speed particles drops substantially.  Neutrino oscillation implies neutrinos have mass, and thus cannot move at the speed of light (they can, however, move so close to the speed of light that it is currently impossible to measure the small speed difference - this fact is what makes it possible for neutrinos to sometimes *appear* to move faster than light: they move so close to the speed of light that any tiny error in measurement can tip the measurement in favor of superluminal velocities).

So the only realistic (if not theoretical) way for an object or other intelligence to reach Earth would be to work around the laws of relativity, using a sub-light propulsion that bends space, instead of trying to outrun light.

The Fermi paradox does not rely on advanced civilizations gaining the ability to travel faster than the speed of light or have any other way around the light speed limit.  It postulates that even if a civilization uses relatively slow spaceflight options, the ability for that civilization to *eventually* reach our part of the galaxy starting from anywhere else becomes a certainty on galactic timescales, if they exist at all.  If the best we manage to achieve is 1% of the speed of light, and furthermore it takes us a century to colonize a planet once we reach it at 1% of the speed of light, we can still cross the galaxy from end to end on a time scale of about twenty million years.  Note that if it takes us ten thousand years to reach that level of technology before we can even try, it still takes us twenty million years to accomplish this, because twenty million years plus ten thousand years is twenty million years.

If they are to reach Earth in less than a few 100 years, they would need to have developed the holy-grail of space travel, some sort of wormhole propulsion - or put themselves into stasis.

You're assuming aliens need to reach us from their home planet in one lifetime jump, but the Fermi paradox takes into account colonization.  And it doesn't presume all intelligent life tries to colonize the galaxy or even wants to.  It asserts that it only has to succeed once.

The other potential way of alien contact being made, is the avoidance of physical contact, but instead the theory of mental contact.
If it were possible to transmit a consciousness - or some sort of transcendence from physical form to 'beyond' form.
Then the laws of relativity may not apply - making it possible to explore the universe at fast speeds.

You don't need to presuppose violations of the laws of physics.  You could simply presuppose an alien race builds artificially intelligent robotic explorers.  That's the scientifically possible way to "transmit consciousness" across large distances and timespans.  Technology can create immortal explorers.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 11:51:55 PM »
There would be no shortage of natural resources.Anything on earth would be most likely be found in the asteroid belt or other planets or the stars themselves.If they are smart enough to travel through space
they would watch us first.I know I would not be in a hurry to help us into space.

Everything on Earth is plentiful in the rest of the galaxy except the lifeforms on it.  Raw resources like water and atmospheric gases are not just plentiful throughout the galaxy, but plentiful even within our own solar system.  There's just as much water on Europa as on Earth, but without any pesky infestations that want to argue over the right to it.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 11:57:50 PM »
Everything on Earth is plentiful in the rest of the galaxy except the lifeforms on it.  Raw resources like water and atmospheric gases are not just plentiful throughout the galaxy, but plentiful even within our own solar system.  There's just as much water on Europa as on Earth, but without any pesky infestations that want to argue over the right to it.

I'm sure someone here will call dibs on it as soon as Brita technology advances enough to deal with heavy radiation :P

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 12:38:40 AM »
I'm sure someone here will call dibs on it as soon as Brita technology advances enough to deal with heavy radiation :P

In space, no one can hear you scream "dibs."

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 12:41:22 AM »
Somewhere Michael Collins is saying 'too soon'.

worldweary

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 01:33:29 AM »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:42:43 AM by worldweary »

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 03:14:55 AM »
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 03:37:49 AM »
And yet it moves.

Except there's a dark side to that quote, and its name is "Apollo One."

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 03:56:01 AM »

Actually I'll have to correct you,

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/4-cosmic-phenomena-travel-faster-190300819.html

this article provides facts that there are actually 4 confirmed cases of objects traveling faster than the speed of light, however it also lies and attempts to explain away this fact with a terrible strawman. It says that only particles with no mass can travel at the speed of light because according to Einstein's theory of relativity if it had mass would have to have limitless infinite energy to do so.

Electrons have mass, electrons in a nuclear reactor travel faster than light. BUT NO! they can't possibly /REALLY/ be traveling faster than light because Einstein said so! if general relativity and special relativity were proved broken our entire physics model would collapse for a while. and no one in the scientific community has the balls to deal with that situation.

Planets in the universe have a mass, some planets have been observed traveling faster than the speed of light, it has been explained away as "they only appear to be traveling faster than light! we suspect they are moving around the universe in the opposite direction from us at a speed less than light speed and thereby look like they are moving faster due to the direction of travel". Bollocks.

I've actually run tests, using light, light can travel slower and faster than the speed of light it all depends on what you do with it.

for example it was confirmed in labs in the 1940s that light has no mass because it cannot carry a pigment from one surface to another and deposit it. This has been proved wrong, light can indeed carry and deposit pigments meaning it has a mass that current science doesn't understand, or it confirms light can move slower that the speed of light and thus gain a mass yet still move at a speed greater than electromagnetic waves. In fact that's how solar panels work, silicon has a naturally high number of electrons but not enough to be radioactive, it's the fact that it is a transparent material that makes it work, light can go in and when it does the mass of the photon will bump an electron out of place and into motion from where it can be harvested as electricity, in theory this creates a hole in the material and the material will adjust it's matrix to fill the hole. However from my studies this is false, this would mean that the material would grow smaller as it's matrix adjusts and as it is in majority electrons, that shift in size would be visible (at one point it would fit snugly on the face of your calculator, and when it's burnt out it would have a distance between it and the edge). For this reason it is safe to assume that the hole is being filled, with what? a slowed photon from refraction and impact, however it's not guaranteed that the photon will become an electron, and thus the hole is filled but not always with a usable component. Photons are part of matter. yeah I know that adds to the theory that we are all just holograms, and it's technically true if my hypotheses are correct.

not many people actually know what makes a material radioactive, I do, it's easy to know as well, the periodic table is conveniently arranged by atomic composition, the ones on the far left and right are radioactive albeit by either too many electrons or too few.

Nuclear waste that is left over after it goes through a nuclear reactor is a case of too few electrons, a nuclear warhead is the opposite, and a nuclear meltdown or radiation leak could be a combination of the two.

the way to fix it is to take responsibility, (something no one in charge will do) and find out what the case is, if it's a case of "too few" the proper method of disposal is to make the material inert by subjecting it to electromagnetic radiation for a very short period until it has a balanced number of electrons to the safe threshold capacity of it's neutron(s). instead, they just find a pond to bury it under there for hundreds of years till the radiation causes a sinkhole and the pond collapses.

if it's a case of too many electrons, then it needs to be drained a bit but not completely, using energy to spin a faraday disk (or a brush disk from a newer generator) over the affected area is actually the best method to collect excess electrons, the only consolation is both methods of making a material inert require energy that is either equal to or exceeds the energy created by the initial nuclear reaction. so no one wants to spend the money to make that energy to clean up after themselves.

It's a bad loop. A greed driven catch 22. The methods to clean it up exist and could be done over the course of several years per place, but instead we just leave it to naturally regulate over millions of years at the cost of environmental damage. and yes it could have an effect on the global temperature. Could it be the real cause of global warming?

In space, no one can hear you scream "dibs."

Indeed, IP means nothing in the galactic federation, in fact it may be against the constitution. Life, liberty and happiness, no wait that's the US constitution (the american dream). Life, liberty and happiness has records explaining it, liberty is the right for every citizen to own land and carry out business, even competition.

IP was developed in Britain under the monarchy (before the days of prime ministers), to quote "as a right to monopolization", monopolization is supposed to be illegal in the US of A according to the constitution. The way liberty was defined was basically that if you could make it, and someone else figured out how to make it, they could legally do so and sell it for a better price without paying any royalties (called royal due to their origin) or usury. It's called valid competition, and was a mechanism to still greed and keep the economy balanced between poor and rich and to keep the economy growing. We can thank ourselves for not sticking up for our rights, now we have a system were everything goes to the top and they have decided they only need us in small amounts, we have inflation and our financial analysts see deflation as a terrible thing. in the UK they underwent a short period of economic deflation last year, guess what, they apologized for it and said they don't expect it to be for long.

We were technically supposed to reject and refuse to acknowledge IPs held by other nations to allow free use of technologies etc. in our country without paying royalties, but our politicians got all chicken on us and gave in to international demand. Plus there were a bunch of people in the US who preferred to have the international rights to their inventions, so really we did bring it on ourselves, we got greedy and though it was protecting us so we allowed IP to be registered in our country, nay, we demanded it.

If only we hadn't, the CoH battle wouldn't even be happening, we'd have reverse engineered it a long time ago because there would be no legal consequences and no way for anyone to seek action against us in US court. It's just valid competition after all, that and marvel could never sue NCSoft, heck the whole legal system would be much simpler. But people would have to lower prices to keep in the market (which was the intention, that companies would fight based on quality, quantity /and/ price, they don't fight on price any more, not till they've already made millions off it and I wouldn't call a small reduction /once/, a price fight). Meh I could rant of how it could have been for pages, but it's no use because it isn't that way now, or at least no one would or would want to fight for it.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 04:03:11 AM »

Technically AS-204 since it was a ground test and not the actual mission, but I fully support NASA bending the rules on that one to retcon it "Apollo 1".

There's a reason that I start a new game of KSP, I always name my first three long-term orbital shuttles Grissom, White, and Chaffee.

/salute

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 05:17:14 AM »
To be honest i was referencing the apocryphal quote attributed to Galileo Galilei (in a single book 120 years after his death), as a way of commenting on how amazingly successful the space program was despite that, but yes, there is a dark side.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2016, 08:04:03 AM »
Technically AS-204 since it was a ground test and not the actual mission, but I fully support NASA bending the rules on that one to retcon it "Apollo 1".

Technically, it wasn't really a retcon because the Apollo test flights known as Apollo 1 and Apollo 2 were only given that designation unofficially, as they (and all Apollo launches) were officially known by their flight designations. 

And actually, although the terminology is sometimes used loosely, AS-204 wasn't given the designation of Apollo One, that designation goes to the mission officially intended to launch AS-204 with the Grissom, White, and Chaffee crew, which never launched.  AS-204 actually did eventually launch, as part of the Apollo Five lunar module test mission.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 09:57:03 AM »
for example it was confirmed in labs in the 1940s that light has no mass because it cannot carry a pigment from one surface to another and deposit it. This has been proved wrong, light can indeed carry and deposit pigments meaning it has a mass that current science doesn't understand, or it confirms light can move slower that the speed of light and thus gain a mass yet still move at a speed greater than electromagnetic waves. In fact that's how solar panels work, silicon has a naturally high number of electrons but not enough to be radioactive, it's the fact that it is a transparent material that makes it work, light can go in and when it does the mass of the photon will bump an electron out of place and into motion from where it can be harvested as electricity, in theory this creates a hole in the material and the material will adjust it's matrix to fill the hole. However from my studies this is false, this would mean that the material would grow smaller as it's matrix adjusts and as it is in majority electrons, that shift in size would be visible (at one point it would fit snugly on the face of your calculator, and when it's burnt out it would have a distance between it and the edge). For this reason it is safe to assume that the hole is being filled, with what? a slowed photon from refraction and impact, however it's not guaranteed that the photon will become an electron, and thus the hole is filled but not always with a usable component. Photons are part of matter. yeah I know that adds to the theory that we are all just holograms, and it's technically true if my hypotheses are correct.

I was going to post a correction.  Then I read this.  You guys are all punking me, right?  This is some sick revenge for making you all read a statistics lesson.  You know, if my posts make your eyes bleed that badly, just report me to the moderator or shoot me.  Don't do... whatever this is.  I knew that once Stuxnet weaponized the internet, it was only a matter of time before the Geneva protocols on torture were thrown out the window.

I'm going to save this post, and one day when Neil deGrasse Tyson bad mouths Star Wars again I'm going to tweet it at him, just to see if he swallows his own chin.

The really sad part is that if physics was even half as weird as Joshex thought it was, we wouldn't have to wait for CoH to return.  We could all just stand outside during lightning storms with spearmint lifesavers in our ears and eventually acquire superpowers.

When I read the part about the photovoltaic effect causing solar cells to shrink, I actually thought about explaining band gaps and semiconductor junctions and electron-hole tunneling for a moment**, and then realized I was trying to fix a broken television by hitting it repeatedly with a working television.  I have two nieces and a nephew.  The younger niece and the nephew are at the age where they love to ask "why" repeatedly.  I'm the only person that will sit there with them and answer that question, over and over again, about anything.  No matter how tired I am, no matter how busy I am, I will try to explain any question they ask, even when I know they are less interested in the answer and more interested in seeing how long I will last.  Everyone asks me why I do it.  If they saw my face when I was reading this post, they wouldn't need to ask.

** Got a B+ in semiconductor physics.  The only B+ I'm proud of.  One of the only grades I ever cared about ever, actually.  That B+ got me my first real job in my chosen profession in a roundabout way, and a free vacation in Sequoia National Park.  It's a long story.