Author Topic: Mouse Won't Work  (Read 6285 times)

cmats4020

• Underling
Mouse Won't Work
« on: February 09, 2016, 05:54:43 AM »
I hope this is more of a problem than I am making it out to be (I'd hate to waste anyone's time), but my mouse won't work when I'm on the title screen. The program recognizes my mouse when I hover over "Login" or "Accept," but if I try to click anything, nothing happens. I can bypass the login screen by hitting the "Enter" key, but I can't get past the user agreement page. And then I'm afraid I won't be able to create a character without my mouse. What do I do?

EDIT: This thread is for trying to access Paragon Chat. Icon itself won't work for me. I try to press the blue play button in Island Rum, but then an error message pops up:

Couldn't write process memory: Message 0x%1 not found in file %2.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:14:31 AM by cmats4020 »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Re: Mouse Won't Work
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 06:52:43 AM »
I hope this is more of a problem than I am making it out to be (I'd hate to waste anyone's time), but my mouse won't work when I'm on the title screen. The program recognizes my mouse when I hover over "Login" or "Accept," but if I try to click anything, nothing happens. I can bypass the login screen by hitting the "Enter" key, but I can't get past the user agreement page. And then I'm afraid I won't be able to create a character without my mouse. What do I do?

EDIT: This thread is for trying to access Paragon Chat. Icon itself won't work for me. I try to press the blue play button in Island Rum, but then an error message pops up:

have you tried giving it a bit of cheese?

Spoiler for Hidden:
trollolol

seriously though it sounds like a driver version or hardware incompatibility issue, have you tried updating your mouse's driver version? what kind of mouse is it? (not just brand, is it a trackball, lazer, 3D mouse etc.)
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

cmats4020

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:13:26 AM »
have you tried giving it a bit of cheese?

seriously though it sounds like a driver version or hardware incompatibility issue, have you tried updating your mouse's driver version? what kind of mouse is it? (not just brand, is it a trackball, lazer, 3D mouse etc.)

XD well I'm using my MacBook Pro, so it's just the trackpad.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 09:11:41 AM »
XD well I'm using my MacBook Pro, so it's just the trackpad.

Ah those, I use a similar mouse for it, but not a mac.

is this a 2006 macbook pro, or a 2013 third gen macbook pro?

if 2006, I'm really not sure why it wouldn't work, unless it's some new driver messing things up, but I kinda doubt that. it sounds like a case of the client software not being able to read/interpret the movements.

it works outside of the game right? I mean obviously it would if you are using it to reply here.

codewalker, agge or leandro will have to field this one, I'm not sure how the client reacts to mouse input mostly because I only have a user's knowledge of the client software. I'm also not sure if there is some known issue with macbook pro trackpads.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »
Nothing to do with the mouse. The screen scaling is wrong. Combinations of certain video cards on certain operating systems set to certain resolutions can cause problems with the client where part of the screen gets cut off and the mouse cursor position displays wrong.

I *think* it tends to happen more often on OS's that do built-in screen scaling when set to very high display resolutions, such as 4k monitors. Either way, it's a COH problem in general.

The quick and easy workaround is to run the game in windowed mode. Pressing ALT+Enter should clear it up.

That message + Island Rum + your later mention of it being a macbook = Is this Mac OS? It might be Cmd+Enter, then, but I don't have any experience with the emulation layer that the Mac COH client uses.

cmats4020

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 08:32:52 PM »
is this a 2006 macbook pro, or a 2013 third gen macbook pro?

It's a 2013 MacBook Pro.

The quick and easy workaround is to run the game in windowed mode. Pressing ALT+Enter should clear it up.

I tried, but it still doesn't work. I think I'm going to try using a different mouse.

That message + Island Rum + your later mention of it being a macbook = Is this Mac OS? It might be Cmd+Enter, then, but I don't have any experience with the emulation layer that the Mac COH client uses.

Yes, and where would I use Cmd+Enter?

EDIT: So I was able to make it into the game, but after every few seconds I disconnect from the map server.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 10:36:22 PM by cmats4020 »

cmats4020

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 06:08:30 AM »
So, I was able to get into the game when I used a Logitech mouse. My second time trying to get in, the same thing started happening: the mouse can't click any buttons! Why is this happening? The game is windowed, and I don't know what else to try.

cmats4020

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:22:17 AM »
Is no one able to help me out with this problem?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 07:01:13 AM »
I pinged Manga. None of the Titan folks are Apple people. Manga's the one that figured out how to get it working on a Mac and wrote Island Rum. Hopefully they'll be able to help.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 07:28:11 AM »
I had a similar problem with some software before (midimaker), the newer model screen resolution of my laptop was not supported by the program, the fix was to manually change the screen resolution to a lower 'non-wide-screen' resolution when using the program.

Record your current resolution settings first then try changing it to a lower setting, if it doesn't work just switch back to your old resolution. that's the best I can offer for a quick possible fix. I may be wrong but don't let that dishearten you keep checking back periodically for Manga's response he will know more.

cmats4020

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 07:40:05 AM »
I pinged Manga. None of the Titan folks are Apple people. Manga's the one that figured out how to get it working on a Mac and wrote Island Rum. Hopefully they'll be able to help.

Okay, sorry for my impatience. I'm just really eager to step foot into Atlas again after how many years. Thank you for all the help!

I had a similar problem with some software before (midimaker), the newer model screen resolution of my laptop was not supported by the program, the fix was to manually change the screen resolution to a lower 'non-wide-screen' resolution when using the program.

Record your current resolution settings first then try changing it to a lower setting, if it doesn't work just switch back to your old resolution. that's the best I can offer for a quick possible fix. I may be wrong but don't let that dishearten you keep checking back periodically for Manga's response he will know more.

Okay, thank you. I'll try that out and see if it will work!

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 03:02:38 PM »

Wine currently has an issue where it won't accept mouse clicks when a game is running.  There doesn't appear to be a fix from them right now - and it's open-source, so it could be years before they get around to it - so I'm working on making up my own.

cmats4020

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:31 PM »
Wine currently has an issue where it won't accept mouse clicks when a game is running.  There doesn't appear to be a fix from them right now - and it's open-source, so it could be years before they get around to it - so I'm working on making up my own.

Oh, well that's disappointing. Thanks for the info and all your hard work!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 05:25:49 AM »

Wine? I thought mac had it's own client? never mind.

I used to use SuSE Linux in the old days, in fact I switched to windows primarily for city after reviewing Wine's emulation of City of X. Apparently they got it working on ubuntu in the early days, the only real problem back then was wine wouldn't natively run other Exe files or read exterior libraries ect. when told to in the original Exe's instructions. they fixed that by telling it to do so but apparently though it ran I remember there was a graphics problem, most likely due to missing or outdated graphics codecs and missing openGL.

it was my choice, I was going to switch OSes on a spare hard drive for city one way or another (SuSE 10.0 couldn't be updated to a version with the right glibc without writing my own kernel, and because of that couldn't install the newest wine). I decided if I was goign to switch OSes for a game I was going to have the full experience, so I got on wind doze.

anyways I know for certain they emulated the mouse correctly, their only problem was the display of names in the chat system and a few costume texture errors. It might help to take a look at (or ask) how they managed to get the mouse working.

I realize this information is ages old by now so it's probably buried and I'm not sure there will be anyone around to reply, but it's worth a shot.

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 05:38:17 PM »
Is no one able to help me out with this problem?

Yes, I am having the exact same issue.  It's nothing to do with wrong screen size resolution like many windows users are facing.  With Mac's it's some sort of bug via wine.  Manga, mac expert, is looking into creating a solution to the problem.  Follow this thread to keep up with the progress:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,11557.msg203037.html#msg203037