Author Topic: rebuild COH  (Read 26432 times)

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
  • Infinity, SG leader of The Moon Dragons
    • Behance
rebuild COH
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:07:37 PM »
Doc Artz

aXe

• Underling
Re: rebuild COH
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 10:29:05 PM »
Its very easy for you to suggest this while letting others take the potentailly life ruining legal flak. As much as we all miss CoH, none of us should expect anyone to get into huge trouble over a video game.

Besides, negotiations for its re release are still ongoing. It would be foolhardy to destroy those efforts, especially since they've been ongoing for years.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:18:48 AM »
NCSoft won't come after you ... for donuts.

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
    • Behance
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 03:26:11 AM »
NCSoft won't come after you ... for donuts.

So someone else sees that NCsoft's a whimp! it would cost them far too much money and there were be the key question, "Why are you suing COT/Paragon if you're allowing them access to the very same zones"? I rest my case. After all it was getting heavy ;D
8)
Doc Artz

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 04:20:16 AM »
Its very easy for you to suggest this while letting others take the potentailly life ruining legal flak.

It's also very easy to suggest someone else putting in all the hard work to recreate something that represents 11 or 12 years of continuous development.

I've yet to see anyone put forward a solid plan to do so that doesn't involve handwaving numerous developers out of thin air who have the chops to reverse engineer something of that scope, forwards engineer something compatible with it, and enough free time to spend on it.

But by all means, if you the proverbial reader have the skills and manpower to do something like that, and the resources to withstand whatever legal assault NCSoft mounts (hint: google Aion private servers in Japan, or the Tabula Rasa emulator), go for it.

Reaper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 08:04:13 PM »
If only someone had suggested this sooner!  All this time...
Patiently lurking from the shadows...

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:42:26 PM »
I propose three teams: team one will remake the game perfectly. hell, go ahead and upgrade the engine etc. and allow for game updates. team two will be in charge of discovering a parallel earth where CoH never existed and a way to transport us all there (the latter might be trivial given Joshex's Beyonder powers). Team three will be in charge of parallel earth logistics such as setting up our identities, housing, funding etc. so that we're all able to play as much as we want when we get there.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 12:37:41 AM »
If only someone had suggested this sooner!  All this time...

DOH!

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
    • Behance
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 12:38:33 AM »
Its very easy for you to suggest this while letting others take the potentailly life ruining legal flak. As much as we all miss CoH, none of us should expect anyone to get into huge trouble over a video game.

Besides, negotiations for its re release are still ongoing. It would be foolhardy to destroy those efforts, especially since they've been ongoing for years.

It may not be fool  hardy if the PR is abandoned  ;):
                                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proprietary software which is no longer marketed, supported or sold by its owner is called "abandon ware" and the digital form of orphaned works.
If the proprietor of a software package should cease to exist, or decide to cease or limit production or support for a proprietary software package, recipients and users of the package may have no recourse if problems are found with the software.  Proprietors can fail to improve and support software because of business problems.  Support for older or existing versions of a software package may be ended to force users to upgrade and pay for newer versions (Planned obsolescence).  Sometimes another vendor or a software's community themselves can provide support for the software, or the users can migrate to either competing systems with longer support life cycles or to FOSS-based systems.
Realistically and for practical purposes, COH has been abandoned.
why would NCsoft ever waste their money or  time seeking  an injunction on something they have abandoned? Neither I  nor does anyone else  know what NCsoft would do. I believe  NCsoft will do what is cheapest and easiest for this mess, which they created, to just go away.
  8)

Doc Artz

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 12:43:39 AM »
why would NCsoft ever waste their money or  time seeking  an injunction on something they have abandoned? Neither I  nor does anyone else  know what NCsoft would do. I believe  NCsoft will do what is cheapest and easiest for this mess, which they created, to just go away.

Tabula Rasa was also abandoned. NCsoft hit them with a Cease & Desist order regardless. We know what they would do, because they've already done it.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 05:38:36 PM »
If you have lawyers on your payroll, then it costs you almost nothing to take these actions.

GladDog

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 09:38:14 PM »
I have read any number of articles on this subject.  All of this has to take into consideration a couple of things;

1) Matt Miller said the code for CoH had devolved into spagetti.  Remaking it would be a nightmare.
2) According to everything I have read, there were legal reasons that they shut down CoH, not monetary ones.  Until those issues are resolved, I doubt we will see CoH reborn or CoH2.

That said, there is a legal precedent in the US.  It was ruled that a game that could not be accessed because there are no authentication servers could be accessed without penalty, assuming there is available server software.  This means that if you have viable server software for a game abandoned by the game creator, you can use your own authentication system and restart the game.

That said, refer back to point number 1.  It would probably take a dedicated team years to rebuild the code for CoH, and there would be no hope at all of regaining your old characters and stuff.

Also, number 2.  While it is obvious that NCsoft has given up on CoH, at least for now, they are still defending the trademark.  This eliminates the abandonment angle and gives them the right to sue anyone that tries to recreate the game.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 01:06:35 AM »
Except a group is working to buy the game and there were no legal reasons it was shut down.

It was shutdown because NCSoft was moving to the Asian market and CoH did not make enough money to keep open. It was business and nothing personal on the shutdown - things got personal on the effort to rebuy.

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
    • Behance
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 02:10:25 AM »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:36:42 AM by Doc Artz »
Doc Artz

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
    • Behance
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 01:51:19 AM »
Doc Artz

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 07:45:41 AM »

Reaper

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 04:29:36 PM »
I have to admit I laughed right out loud when I saw the voting option appear.  If only there was an option that said "I was secretly holding a copy of the rebuilt product and thought it would be funny to sit on it for a while."

Although "Yes" is probably the best answer.   ;)
Patiently lurking from the shadows...

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
Doc, We've already been over this (AD NAUSEUM) in these forums about what we'd like:
- We want the original game running somewhere (the SERVER pieces)
- We want the IP rights so we can include thematic tie-ins (zones, characters, story lines) within the successor efforts
- We want the legal option to write a work-alike of the original with updated graphics (SERVER and/or CLIENT)

Also, there are already 4 efforts to recreate the game or a successor, and an effort to secure the IP and a backup of the server components.

Doc Artz

• Lieutenant
    • Behance
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 03:38:39 AM »
Doc Artz

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 04:04:35 AM »
i don't have the foggiest idea what your poorly chosen metaphors are supposed to invoke but i feel skeevy nonetheless.