Author Topic: Spambot Rampage  (Read 22708 times)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
Spambot Rampage
« on: February 23, 2016, 05:06:03 PM »
So I went to the wiki, and noticed that the recent changes list is filled with spambot articles. I've also seen several mod deletions of spambots and their articles in the last few weeks. What's going on?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

LateNights

• Elite Boss
Re: Spambot Rampage
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »
You mean you missed the three pages of spam they had here yesterday?

All within an hour or so...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 06:14:59 PM by LateNight »

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 05:27:30 PM »
Apparently. Turns out the rampage is ongoing right now, as we type.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 06:12:35 PM »
Thanks for pointing it out. The wiki is set to read-only, cleanup is ongoing and for now new user registration has been disabled.

Apologies to anyone who registered for a Titan account in the last couple days. It was impossible to separate the hundreds of spambot accounts from any real ones, so I locked out every account created in the last 2 days. If you got unintentionally swept up in it, you can use the 'reset password' feature to send an email to the address you registered with and unlock your account.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 08:52:14 PM »
I discovered it yesterday afternoon and started going at blocking the accounts as they kept creating new ones. Once it finally stopped, I started going about deleting the spam posts -- manually, mind you. At least 80 different accounts and 1500 articles, first showing up late Sunday night, but hitting full-force Monday morning. I planned to work on it more tonight, so I'm glad an automated process took over. My mouse-clicking hand was getting preeetty sore.  :P

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 09:28:48 PM »
I saw that in the recent changes when I went to search to see if there were any that I'd missed. Your name came up in the delete log with about 1500 entries and my jaw dropped a little...  :o

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 12:19:21 AM »
Wait, you mean there's not one phone number you can call for everything ever?

On a positive note it did lead me to discover how useful the mark all as read button is.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 12:23:26 AM »
On a positive note it did lead me to discover how useful the mark all as read button is.
I use this every day. It's so useful. I start at the thread list of "unread posts since last visit" (here). I read pretty much everything in new efforts, then poke my head into threads at random if they've got more than a few new posts (generally indicates excitement or conflict), then mark everything else read. Especially the forum games threads. Especially.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 12:42:04 AM »
...then mark everything else read. Especially the forum games threads. Especially.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 01:47:58 AM »
Is there no captcha when people create a titan account? Or is there, and it's not working?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 02:12:08 AM »
No. You don't even have to put in a valid email address (there is no account confirmation/validation).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

JoshexProxy

• [citation needed]²
  • Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 04:04:52 AM »
it was probably 4chan. they do this sorta thing as a game, they roll for a target from a list of wikis to decide which one they raid with mass spam edits. they also decide what text to use by rolling from a list of texts supplied by the people taking part in the raid.

it is monstrous of them, this is the kind of trolling I don't support.

Did they remove description text on enemy types? (I was looking at some the other day and noticed orange text saying there is no description. I also noticed some images weren't loading).

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 05:01:23 AM »
Did they remove description text on enemy types? (I was looking at some the other day and noticed orange text saying there is no description. I also noticed some images weren't loading).

Unlikely, as they were mostly creating new pages. If you see orange "missing information" it's there so people know to edit the page and add in the missing info. Which images weren't loading?

Also, it likely wasn't 4chan, per TonyV's post about it.

JoshexProxy

• [citation needed]²
  • Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 03:25:08 AM »
Unlikely, as they were mostly creating new pages. If you see orange "missing information" it's there so people know to edit the page and add in the missing info. Which images weren't loading?

Also, it likely wasn't 4chan, per TonyV's post about it.

some of the AVs, not sure which ones now (and don't have time to go look at present), I was mainly crawling through the low level enemy group pages.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 06:34:56 PM »
It is possible that the images were never there to begin with: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Category:Articles_Missing_Images

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 10:08:41 PM »
Spammers are back. Starting to work now at shutting them down again...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 10:37:12 PM »
Limited this time at least. Did they get around the new login restrictions somehow? Huh.

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 10:39:37 PM »
Probably by paying somebody in a third world country less than minimum wage to solve captchas and register dummy email accounts to send the confirmation to.

At least that takes longer to do, so it's easier to keep up with and they can't mass create hundreds at a time.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 11:10:54 PM »
They're using disposable email addresses. I'll try to update registration to block those today or tomorrow.

EDIT: Correction, only some are using disposable addresses. Others are using gmail/yahoo. Sigh.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 11:20:56 PM »
Okay, I found an alternate solution. I'm using the autoconfirmed feature. Users are now autconfirmed after 24 hours. Prior to that, accounts have the same lack of permissions as anonymous users. After that, accounts have the normal user permissions.

So spammers will have to wait a day to spam. If that doesn't work well enough, I can increase it to a week.