Author Topic: Urgent Update About Paragon Chat on Mac  (Read 5205 times)

Manga

• Elite Boss
Urgent Update About Paragon Chat on Mac
« on: March 11, 2016, 06:43:24 AM »

UPDATE 4/3/2016:  I think I found a possible solution to this issue.  I'm going to run it through a few stages of testing first so I don't announce something that will bite me in the butt later on.  Click here for more information.

As of now, Mac support for Paragon Chat via Island Rum for Mac is temporarily discontinued.

Mac support for Paragon Chat depended in Wine being installed on Mac.  Unfortunately the update structure in Wine collapsed and many Windows games run on Mac - including Paragon Chat - will not accept mouse clicks any longer, and crash and freeze repeatedly.  Being that Wine is open source, it could be months or years before the issue is fixed, if at all.  So I have to search for a viable replacement.

Rather than make everyone wait until I manage to find a replacement that works, I'm discontinuing Paragon Chat support for Island Rum for Mac.  This does not affect Icon, as it uses Cider instead, which is not compatible with Paragon Chat.

As soon as the situation changes, I'll notify everyone here.

UPDATE:  I have verified that Paragon Chat WILL run in Parallels Desktop at nearly full graphics settings.  Unfortunately Parallels is a commercial product, and it requires a copy of Windows, but it works.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:36:32 AM by Manga »

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
Re: Urgent Update About Paragon Chat on Mac
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 05:45:07 PM »
Surely it should still work on versions of Wine before it got screwed up?

remyfanboi

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
Thanks Manga. Good luck on a replacement and at the very least, I had a blast returning to CoH for the time it was available.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 09:27:38 PM »
Wait... you didn't kill the working ones of people who installed Wine way back when and haven't touched it since, did you?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 10:18:26 PM »
Wait... you didn't kill the working ones of people who installed Wine way back when and haven't touched it since, did you?

That's what I don't get.... How can this have suddenly broken currently working systems? Just don't update!

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 10:30:26 PM »
I didn't think anyone still had it working anymore.  I changed where the code comment-out was placed and re-posted it as version 031120162.  It still won't try to install wine for anyone who doesn't already have it.

If that causes problems for you, you'll have to remove Wine from Homebrew using this command:

brew remove wine
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:35:55 PM by Manga »

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 05:09:02 AM »

As it says in the update above, I have verified that Paragon Chat WILL run in Parallels Desktop at nearly full graphics settings.  Unfortunately Parallels is a commercial product, and it requires a copy of Windows, but it works.

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 02:41:10 AM »
My version of Paragon Chat still seems to be running fine on my Mac. Does this just mean I should avoid updating WINE and keep my fingers crossed that my current install keeps working?

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 06:25:29 AM »
My version of Paragon Chat still seems to be running fine on my Mac. Does this just mean I should avoid updating WINE and keep my fingers crossed that my current install keeps working?

I'm curious what version of OSX and Wine you're using right now.

The latter part you can get by typing "wine --version" in a Terminal window.

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 11:55:39 PM »
I've got Wine 1.6.2 and am running OSX Mavericks 10.9.5.

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 12:32:46 AM »
I use Mac too and I have not been successful yet at getting paragon chat to work. I'm Anxious to get paragon chat running so I can get me back to my community.

Thanks

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 04:16:07 PM »

Click the link in my first post that says "Click for more information".