Author Topic: To all my RP friends :'(  (Read 5173 times)

remyfanboi

• Underling
To all my RP friends :'(
« on: March 11, 2016, 04:42:41 PM »
Today is a sad day. It seems due to technical issues, paragon Chat nolonger works on a Mac and that leaves me unable to join you all online.

I'd like to extend a deep thank you to all the players who helped make my characters feel welcome. I will miss you all and hopefully some day I will get myself a Windows based computer to pick up where I left off, but until then... this is a heartfelt goodbye.

Characters affected, include (but of course not limited to):
Kaneter/Kane, who will spend his IC time cleaning the house and making meals;
Timber Wolf/Alex;
Hadley, the crazy robo-girl who will keep going on as she cares for Wolfy behind the scenes;
And any others I may have created during my time online.

I'm sorry to those who have ongoing plots with my characters and for not being able to wrap things up in the way I'd like. My ingame global, my ParagonChat username can be used to find me on Skype.

Em hotep and goodbye, my friends!

-Kane
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:43:16 PM by remyfanboi »

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
Re: To all my RP friends :'(
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 05:03:36 PM »
Never give up, Remy.  Have you contacted Codewalker to see if there's some glitch than can be resolved? 

remyfanboi

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »
Unfortunately this is not just a bug, but as stated as a forum update in the General Section, Paragon Chat was forced to end their Mac support due to issues with Wine.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,11759.0.html

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:36:42 PM by remyfanboi »

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 05:39:18 PM »
Well, don't update Wine then?  Should work with a version before they screwed it up, surely?

remyfanboi

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 05:51:08 PM »
Well, don't update Wine then?  Should work with a version before they screwed it up, surely?

I worked at it a long time and had no success. If anyone has a confirmed method to do it, I'll take the advice and steps to do so. Thank you all for your suggestions, but this was a conscious effort by the Dev team to discontinue Mac support, due to Wine technical issues. It's not something that I have the coding, or programming experience to resolve.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 08:52:12 PM »

With any luck this will be temporary.  I'm going to start testing some reasonably priced commercial products.  As much as I hate it not being completely free, I do what I have to do.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 09:29:05 PM »
Never give up, Remy.  Have you contacted Codewalker to see if there's some glitch than can be resolved?

Sadly, there's very little I can do about problems on Mac. It's a case of a very complex piece of software that I can't modify (the client piece of COH that talks to Paragon Chat) running inside an even more complex emulation layer (Wine) on an operating system that I don't have access to, so I can't even test it...

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 10:35:25 PM »

I changed Island Rum just now so it won't attempt to install Wine anymore, but it will use it if you already have it installed.  If that causes problems for you, you'll have to remove Wine from Homebrew using this command:

brew remove wine

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 12:10:50 AM »
I worked at it a long time and had no success. If anyone has a confirmed method to do it, I'll take the advice and steps to do so. Thank you all for your suggestions, but this was a conscious effort by the Dev team to discontinue Mac support, due to Wine technical issues. It's not something that I have the coding, or programming experience to resolve.

It was working the other day, right? Then it should continue working...

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 05:09:17 AM »

UPDATE: I have verified that Paragon Chat WILL run in Parallels Desktop at nearly full graphics settings.  Unfortunately Parallels is a commercial product, and it requires a copy of Windows, but it works.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 02:17:59 PM »
has anyone tried virtualbox? of course you would need a valid windows installation disc and key.

Challenger

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 09:46:39 PM »
It sucks man,  But I love this game enough to have gone out and gotten myself a windows machine because I saw the writing on the wall with Mac support.  I really hope you can find a way to get legacy version of your Paragon Chat going again.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 06:37:44 AM »

New information on Paragon Chat for Mac.

Click Here.