Author Topic: Paragon Chat 1.0  (Read 108281 times)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Paragon Chat 1.0
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2016, 05:18:54 PM »
IIRC the Mac equivalent does a lot more, since it also sets up the compatibility layer* needed to run the game on MacOS. It tries to automate what would otherwise be a very complicated process. That's what Manga was talking about getting people to test.

* Either the old Cider wrapper that came with the COH Mac version, or Wine through either wineskin or homebrew. I seem to remember that Cider doesn't like something about Paragon Chat and refuses to run it, so newer versions use Wine.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2016, 06:41:30 PM »
Could we get patch notes please?  Be nice to know what this badges thing is all about...

Just for you:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,11843.msg204775.html#msg204775

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2016, 06:54:33 PM »
Just for you:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,11843.msg204775.html#msg204775

Thanks!

Add 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th anniversary badges for the event. These are hardcoded and all characters are considered to have them, regardless of when they were created.

But... I have no badges?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2016, 07:08:17 PM »
Rarely, something can go wrong with the update process from 1.0.0.4 to 1.0.0.5 and it will fail to delete the extra pigg that contains the patched bin files (seems to still be in use somehow). If you still have the old one, the COH client won't have the badges.bin that includes the new badges, or the new textures for them, and it won't know how to display what Paragon Chat is sending it.

For the next version I'm planning to more aggressively check if it contains out-of-date contents and needs to be refreshed instead of depending on the updater to delete it.

In the meantime, try deleting %APPDATA%\ParagonChat\Piggs\ParagonChat.pigg

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2016, 07:12:02 PM »
I see badges 9 through 12 and I can see the badges on other characters in PC.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2016, 07:17:27 PM »
Rarely, something can go wrong with the update process from 1.0.0.4 to 1.0.0.5 and it will fail to delete the extra pigg that contains the patched bin files (seems to still be in use somehow). If you still have the old one, the COH client won't have the badges.bin that includes the new badges, or the new textures for them, and it won't know how to display what Paragon Chat is sending it.

For the next version I'm planning to more aggressively check if it contains out-of-date contents and needs to be refreshed instead of depending on the updater to delete it.

In the meantime, try deleting %APPDATA%\ParagonChat\Piggs\ParagonChat.pigg

Ah ha! that did the trick!! Badges! Badges my precious!!!  We wants it we does, yes! *gollum!*

More! More!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2016, 07:24:41 PM »
I see badges 9 through 12 and I can see the badges on other characters in PC.

Note that being able to see them on other characters doesn't actually mean anything. There is no protocol for querying other players' badges (or for any kind of persistent badge state at all).

Paragon Chat knows that only those 4 badges exist, and that everybody is supposed to have them, so it cheats and just displays them in everyone's info. It was a quick fix to get things working in time for the anniversary.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2016, 07:30:29 PM »
So, does this mean you have plans to implement badges properly, or is this something special for the anniversary?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2016, 08:18:36 PM »
It's something special for the anniversary.

Badges are something that would be nice if time allows, but aren't on the priority list at the moment. The main problem is that without some kind of central authority, it would be all too easy to just edit the database and give yourself all the badges, and that ruins the experience for many people.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2016, 08:46:40 PM »
I thought I saw a post earlier from someone that said to stop using using Tequila? Also I didn't know if Codewalker or Manga wanted me to test any new install package before I did anything since I have a clean system.
Once you have CoH, you will not need Tequilla again. It's ONLY purpose, which it's good at, is getting i24 for you.  Pretty sure there's no need for further testing on that as it's well tested.

The reason Tequila is not needed after you download the I24 client is that Paragon Chat is self-updating. Tequila checks to make sure what it downloads (Icon, Paragon Chat, and the I24 client) is up to date. If it is out of sync with the main Paragon Chat download it causes issues: there was a brief amount of time where running Tequila would auto-download an old version of Paragon Chat, and then it would have to re-update itself when you opened it. This is why people were told to stop using Tequila - what was meant was "stop *opening* Tequila," because that caused the issue.

As I recall, Tequila now downloads the paragon Chat bootstrapper, which just installs the latest version of PC. You can then open PC as its own .exe, skipping Tequila after the first use.

This is not an issue with the I24 client, since it has not updated in 3.5 years, and should be the same no matter what source you get it from. Icon is also not being further developed, since its functions will be eventually included in Paragon Chat.

Without Tequila, you would need to download Paragon Chat from this thread (not hard), and then also find a place to download the I24 client (not that hard) and Icon (if you want it). Tequila just makes it easier to get all post-sunset CoH programs in one easy download.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Ectokin

• Minion
  • Paragon City lives in me
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2016, 03:08:42 AM »
Replying to Felderburg:
"Ahh, It would be nice if Tequila was in the installer Codewalker created so all you would have to run would be the installer and that would be it. It would determine if you have Tequila or not, install it if you don't, bypass it if you do and update/install anything else next. But I'm not a programmer so maybe its not as easy as my mind thinks it should be, LOL."

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2016, 03:13:47 AM »
It's not in the official installer because the COH client is considered to be NCSoft's intellectual property, and making unauthorized copies of it is copyright infringement. Therefore the only officially supported scenario is if you still have the files from when the game was live. We neither endorse nor recommend using third-party launchers that download the client files.

Ectokin

• Minion
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2016, 03:29:10 AM »
Oh would putting Tequila in the installer make it an "official" installer? While we are at it when we say Tequila are we referring to the ParagonChatBootStrap.exe file? Sorry still a noob here.

Ectokin

• Minion
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2016, 03:36:37 AM »
Codewalker I may be a noob but I would like to thank you for all your hard work that you put into this. From the day those bad people at NCSoft shut down the CoH servers, I have been looking for a replacement Superhero MMO and I'm sorry but nothing can replace CoH. It's something that was very special to us and by bringing us this. All those good memories come back and we have you to thank for it, so don't think for one moment that your hard work is anything but a miracle to us.

Thank you!

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2016, 04:34:12 PM »
Oh would putting Tequila in the installer make it an "official" installer? While we are at it when we say Tequila are we referring to the ParagonChatBootStrap.exe file? Sorry still a noob here.

This may help with the difference between Tequila, Icon, and Paragon Chat: http://imgur.com/a/TDCyB Paragon Chat Boot Strap is the program that installs Paragon Chat. Tequila downloads it, and you have to run it by itself (not through Tequila).

Putting Tequila or some other way to download the City of Heroes client in the Paragon Chat installer would not make it an "official" installer (the "official" that Codewalker was talking about was his official Paragon Chat installer). The only legal way for people to have the Issue 24 (or any) City of Heroes stuff is if they had downloaded it originally while the game was live. And because Paragon Chat is doing its utmost to avoid anything that could be construed as a legal violation, it won't give you files illegally.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Ectokin

• Minion
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2016, 06:24:11 PM »
Wow Felderburg that does help me out a lot. Now I understand. So I should Download Tequila to get the base code (i24) on my system. Then run Codewalkers installer to get the Paragon Chat installed.
I checked through all the posts and didn't see anything for a download link for Tequila. Anyone know where the latest Tequila download link is?

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2016, 06:58:32 PM »
Wow Felderburg that does help me out a lot. Now I understand. So I should Download Tequila to get the base code (i24) on my system. Then run Codewalkers installer to get the Paragon Chat installed.
I checked through all the posts and didn't see anything for a download link for Tequila. Anyone know where the latest Tequila download link is?

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9531.0.html

Ectokin

• Minion
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2016, 03:54:47 AM »
Installed Tequila and it went ok. AVG prevented putting a shortcut icon on the desktop so I added the Icon folder to the exception for AVG but still getting ParagonChatBootstrapError message
I made a screenshot but not sure how to attach it here. "An error occurred while attempting to download Paragon Chat. Please ensure you have an internet connection. This may be caused by server issues in which case please try again later. If you encounter this message repeatedly, please post in the Paragon Chat forums on the Titan Network with your system information so that we can hopefully resolve the issue or suggest an alternative means of installation."

My system information is:

Windows 10 Home
Intel Core i5 -4690K CPU 3.5GHZ
64 bit Operating system

Icon installed fine, was able to create a toon and run around Atlas park, YAY !
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:01:39 PM by Ectokin »

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
Installed Tequila and it went ok. AVG prevented putting a shortcut icon on the desktop so I added the Icon folder to the exception for AVG but still getting ParagonChatBootstrapError message
I made a screenshot but not sure how to attach it here. "An error occurred while attempting to download Paragon Chat. Please ensure you have an internet connection. This may be caused by server issues in which case please try again later. If you encounter this message repeatedly, please post in the Paragon Chat forums on the Titan Network with your system information so that we can hopefully resolve the issue or suggest an alternative means of installation."

My system information is:

Windows 10 Home
Intel Core i5 -4690K CPU 3.5GHZ
64 bit Operating system

Icon installed fine, was able to create a toon and run around Atlas park, YAY !

Read this:

https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11851.0

Ectokin

• Minion
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2016, 09:42:31 PM »
I already did that:
"I added the Icon folder to the exception for AVG"