Author Topic: Avast-related issues  (Read 5079 times)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
Avast-related issues
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »
Yay! Only.. a few problems..

1. Post install - it made my W10 machine blue screen. :(  Not a good start.
2. Rebooted, and now it says my ParagonChat db is corrupt, doing good.
3. Deleted the DB, and now ParagonChat just crashes OR gives "Failed to launch client!".  Nice.
4. The old client no longer works. Just crashes or tells me my DB is corrupt... :(

Looking in the logfile, it's trying to find "C:\PC\Piggs\ParagonChat.pigg".  Did you leave something hardcoded? :p  Copied that file to that location, still boom.

Also, Avast keeps scanning it ever time I launch it, as if it were the first time it was launched...

Logfile below:

Code: [Select]
160331 11:55:58 -1 Shutting down from fatal error "C:\PC\Piggs\ParagonChat.pigg: Bad flag on fileheader #0

Your data might be corrupt, please run the patcher and try again."
160331 11:57:13 -1 Shutting down from fatal error "C:\PC\Piggs\ParagonChat.pigg: Bad flag on fileheader #0

160331 11:57:24 -1 Shutting down from fatal error "C:\PC\Piggs\ParagonChat.pigg: Bad flag on fileheader #0

160331 11:57:26 -1 Shutting down from fatal error "C:\PC\Piggs\ParagonChat.pigg: Bad flag on fileheader #0

160331 12:01:07 -1 Shutting down from fatal error "C:\PC\Piggs\ParagonChat.pigg: Bad flag on fileheader #0

160331 12:01:54 -1 Shutting down from fatal error "C:\PC\Piggs\ParagonChat.pigg: Bad flag on fileheader #0

160331 12:03:01 -1 Shutting down from fatal error "C:\PC\Piggs\ParagonChat.pigg: Bad flag on fileheader #0

160331 12:03:25 -1 Shutting down from fatal error "C:\PC\Piggs\ParagonChat.pigg: Bad flag on fileheader #0

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Avast-related issues
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:57:42 AM »
I would definitely check your system for stability issues. It's supposed to be impossible for a user mode program (especially one that runs without admin rights) to cause a blue screen. Only drivers and system-level programs can do things that would trigger those. Maybe disable Avast for the initial install -- it sounds like there's something it doesn't like and it could easily be interfering.

What it sounds like happened is that your machine bluescreened while Paragon Chat was in the middle of creating its pigg file, so you ended up with a corrupt file. Try deleted %APPDATA%\ParagonChat\Piggs entirely and letting it recreate it.

You probably could have just removed the *.db-wal and lock files instead of the db file itself.

Ignore references to C:\PC and delete that folder if you created one. That's not what it's really using.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 01:24:13 PM »
OK, after a LOT of buggering around I finally got it to work.  I had to:

1.  Manually delete the ParagonChat folder under %APPDATA%
2.  Completely UNINSTALL Avast, disabling it wasn't enough.
3.  Reinstall ParagonChat
4.  Reinstall Avast.

I should not have had to do #2, this is something you need to look into as less able users will be totally flummoxed by this sort of issue.

Thanks to the earlier mess up, when I tried to install with Avast, i lost my entire DB, and none of my backups of it will load.  Irritating, but not the end of the world.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
Yeah, seems like disabling or whitelisting it should be enough.

If it's causing issues just from being installed, that sounds like a serious Avast bug (and probably is what caused the bluescreen, would have to see the crash dump to say for sure which module it happened in).

Unfortunately there's not just a whole lot I can do about that -- the internals of antivirus and other "security" software are closely guarded secrets. Probably all we can really do is submit the exe files to their reporting service as a false positive and hope for the best.

If you want to dropbox or PM me one of your database backups, I can take a look and see why it won't load.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 01:49:47 PM by Codewalker »

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 02:01:05 PM »
FFM, what version of Avast are you running?

I tried rolling back my test VM to a snapshot with 0.99j, installing the free version of Avast (11.1.2253), then launching paragon chat and letting it update to 1.0. Everything went smoothly and Avast didn't interfere...  ???

The test VM is running Windows XP though, I'll see if I have one running Win10 that I can try it on.

EDIT: I also tried enabling "Hardened Mode" to see what that does. Avast popped up twice notifying me that an unknown program was running -- once for Paragon Chat, one for the client. I clicked yes on both and everything started up fine.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 02:06:21 PM by Codewalker »

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 02:20:02 PM »
I run the same version, but mine is licensed as opposed to the free one.

I also noted that every time I tried to start the new PC, the exe scanner would pop up. It normally only does that the first time you run an app, so I'm guessing this all might have been caused by the blue screen (which, incidentally, I'd never had a single one on W10 since installing it!).

The DB's, I'm not sure what's going on as SQLLite won't open them anymore either, just says invalid file format. It's not the end of the world though as I have all the costumes saved, so I just rebuilt the characters.