Author Topic: Press Release: Paragon Chat Realignment  (Read 46310 times)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Press Release: Paragon Chat Realignment
« on: April 01, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
Important Announcement!
For immediate release.

Over the 9 months that Paragon Chat has been in operation, we have been closely observing the demographics of our target audience so that we can take their preferences into account. One thing we didn't expect was how much attention the project received from non-City of Heroes roleplayers, especially those hailing from a superpowered metropolis set in Michigan.

With the aid of several supercomputers, we used advanced datamining and hyperbolic extrapolation techniques to get a better feel for the situation. This data suggests that non-COH roleplayers using Paragon Chat outnumber former COH players by as much as ten to one. That certainly shocked us!

To help make these players feel more at home, we're rolling out a series of changes to Paragon Chat.

Phase 1 is already complete. Not only has the user interface been simplified, but with the 1.0 update we have introduced extra lag and stuttering in player movement.

Phase 2 involves upgrades to the game's graphics engine. The look is just dated, and not very representative of the source media. We have hired a crack team of graphics engineers, and they have spent literally tens of minutes coding a new graphics engine to replicate that unique comic book aesthetic that everyone knows and loves. We expect to integrate this new engine into Paragon Chat very Soon(TM). Here are some teaser images to whet your appetite - click on a thumbnail for a close up look!

If the population keeps growing at its current rate, we will consider a Phase 3 and possible rebranding of the project to Millennium Chat. These are exciting times!

AnimeMoose

• Underling
Re: Press Release: Paragon Chat Realignment
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:27:28 AM »
So the artwork will be this instead of the classic COX game?  I will admit that I am not a fan of this cell-shading style of artwork and it is one of the reasons I never got into Cham.... or however we are suppose to call  that other game.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 09:45:06 AM »
So the artwork will be this instead of the classic COX game?  I will admit that I am not a fan of this cell-shading style of artwork and it is one of the reasons I never got into Cham.... or however we are suppose to call  that other game.

Dude... Look at the date...

alltrueist

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 12:20:15 PM »
This is savage, but hilarious

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 12:34:16 PM »
You'll need to update the character models too to make them look properly subhuman.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »
Thanks for this. It's just what I needed.

Mothers_Love

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 04:16:17 PM »
Nice try guys!  ;)
Dropping my knitting to buff you whilst hitting - Proudly protecting Paragon City's little ones since 2004

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 04:20:11 PM »
I'm looking forward to the new Paragon Chat Cash Shop, too.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 04:33:46 PM »
The graphics do remind of champions, but that's ok.  It still looks like home.

Thank you for all your work and effort.   

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »
Ok.  Even Codewalker has a sense of humour.

However, if he goes for a 'frogman' stoop main character animation there'll be a mob with pitchforks and flaming torches...

Seriously though, just maybe Codewalker really is teasing here.  He's showing his 'chops' around the CoH engine.  Perhaps he can leave the render style as an option for those that like/dislike it to turn it on and off.

I'm surprised how effective it looked.  But CoH has better artwork and design underneath supporting it.

Hmm.  Intrigue.  What else could Codewalker and the team do in the future...if he can 'merely' do this to celebrate Apple's 40th birthday... :P

Azrael.

AjD

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 07:44:14 PM »
I've gotten to the point in my life where I can't stand april fools jokes, but I approve of this  ;)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 08:41:57 PM »
Oh god it's horrible. Funny ha ha joke, but can you please turn it off now? I don't have a sense of humour on April 1st. It's the first into the wood chipper, just before the damned pranksters. :P

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 09:31:28 PM »
But this can only be done AFTER all good things are brought to dust, yknow..build diver-I mean-balance reasons :P(Don't know how you nerf chat but I believe in you, CW :3).
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 01:46:03 AM »
I admit it, I laughed.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 02:05:07 AM »
Barbaric but so funny.  I guess CoX had to load up on hallucinogens sometime :).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2016, 02:05:51 AM »
But this can only be done AFTER all good things are brought to dust, yknow..build diver-I mean-balance reasons :P(Don't know how you nerf chat but I believe in you, CW :3).

A limit on the number of chat messages sent per day, so that everyone has a fair chance to be heard.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 02:19:35 AM »
Make sure to also release over powered items, wait a while for the cash from them to flow in and then nerf them to cater to some people everyone else hates :).  After all, lockboxes are the be-all-end all! :)
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 03:19:28 AM »
By the way is the unreliable local chats part of the joke?  Now i'm getting bad memories :(.  My local text keeps disappearing on everyone elses screens.

Edit: NVM doesn't seem to be any more than 1.0 transition, derp.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:33:59 AM by LaughingAlex »

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 12:02:19 AM »
Should of took full advantage of april fools and posted a convincing article about the deal being done. It would of been mean but still funny.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 12:46:05 AM »
Should of took full advantage of april fools and posted a convincing article about the deal being done. It would of been mean but still funny.
I think "cruel" might be the word, actually.  Glad you didn't.   :)