Author Topic: AVG-related Issues  (Read 3222 times)

DoctorEvilface

• Underling
AVG-related Issues
« on: April 01, 2016, 02:24:18 AM »
This is technically my first post in the forums, (I'm sort of a lurker.) sorry it has to be a technical issue.

Mainly, my anti-virus absolutely refuses to let me use Paragon Chat after the latest update. I haven't had problems with it before, but for whatever reason, it doesn't like the new format.

I've gone through and added all of the Paragon Chat-related files I could find to my Exceptions, but it's still blocking the client. I know it's not malicious, but I'm not willing to deactivate my anti-virus just to get in.

If nothing else, at least attention has been brought to a potential issue.
Steam: Doctor Evilface / TheCapeRadio: DoctorEvilface / Paragon Chat: Wildfire / Cryptic Handle: @doctorevilface

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: AVG-related Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 02:42:35 AM »
Not even temporarily? Most of the people I've seen who had to do that turned it off, ran it once, then turned it back on and added the client to the exception list.

The biggest issue is the ones that block the client exe from being created in the first place, making it difficult to add an exception for. Once it's been created it's easier to exclude.

DoctorEvilface

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 05:01:16 AM »
Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I meant was, I don't want to have turn it off everytime I use it. I know zip when it comes to computer repair, so I'm a little paranoid when it comes to virus protection. I trust PC enough to know it's not dangerous, but just leaving my computer unprotected for any reason makes me twinge.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow though and see if it works. Thanks.
Steam: Doctor Evilface / TheCapeRadio: DoctorEvilface / Paragon Chat: Wildfire / Cryptic Handle: @doctorevilface

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 03:25:59 PM »
Oh, right, that would be annoying.

Hopefully all you need to do is add an exception: https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en_US&urlName=How-to-exclude-file-folder-or-website-from-AVG-scanning

I'd try the whole folder exception first, and if that doesn't work, the individual files.

Once it's up and running, what would also help is if multiple AVG users submit it as a false positive using their form: http://www.avg.com/submit-sample
Would probably need to submit ParagonChatClient.exe and ParagonChat.exe separately. Especially the client since that's the one it hates more.

Gunnarsvard

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 10:05:08 PM »
AVG currently picking up ParagonChatClient.exe as a trojan.

After a temporary disable I managed to restore it and get it into an exceptions list.

DoctorEvilface

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 03:10:41 AM »
After dealing with the i24 folder issues, I finally managed to get AVG to cooperate. Deactivated AVG and let the client do it's thing, then added the folder to exceptions (And the client exe and ParagonChat exe seperately for good measure.) as you suggested. Works like a charm now, thank you Codewalker.