Author Topic: No Audio  (Read 3509 times)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
No Audio
« on: April 06, 2016, 01:25:43 AM »
In both Paragon Chat and Icon (regular and NPC edit modes) I have no audio. There does not appear to be any issue in CoH's settings or my computer's settings. I have an HP Windows 10 laptop.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
Re: No Audio
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 03:07:34 AM »
Well, messing around with the sound mixer seems to have done it. Steps:

Opened PChat. No sound.
Opened volume mixer (right click audio speaker icon in system tray).
The only two things are the device (speaker/hp) and applications, under which only "system sounds" was showing.
Right clicked speaker icon, clicked "Sounds".
Got an error:

Windows has detected that audio enhancements for the following device are causing problems:
Speaker/HP (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Would you like to disable Driver Enhancements for this device?
Yes / No

I clicked yes, and the normal sound options window popped up. It didn't seem useful, so I closed it.

Now, as I recall, I did not have sound in CoH at this point.

I right clicked the audio speaker icon, clicked "Troubleshoot sound problems." It opened a window I thought would take some time, so I read Titan forums, clicked a link to a sea shanty, and made sure YouTube on chrome was playing properly (it was).
At this point, I decided to see if Chrome would show up in the "applications" section of the sound mixer. It did... along with "Name Not Available." Could this be CoH?
Apparently it was, because now I have sound.

However, the troubleshooting appears not to have finished. I now have a window open:

I clicked "cancel" and sound is still working, and Name Not Available is still in my sound mixer. So because I'm not entirely sure if I had sound immediately before the troubleshoot (after the disabling of driver enhancements) or after, I'm not sure what worked. I'm 75% certain I had no sound before the troubleshooting.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 01:36:13 AM »
So after last night, in which I gained sound, flew around PC, and logged off and shut down my computer, I have just turned my computer back on. I started up Paragon Chat, and now, in the sound mixer, City of Heroes shows up, properly named and thumbnailed. Oddly, CoH was set to 0 when it started; I changed that. I closed it, restarted it, and the volume level appears to be working properly, and is where it was set to before I closed CoH.

Edit: Is there music in the first character select screen we get sent to? Button clicks (well, mouse over on the character rotate button) make a noise, and last night, when I went to character creation, there was music, but I'm not hearing any when I first log in, which is disconcerting.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 02:01:03 AM »
Edit: Is there music in the first character select screen we get sent to? Button clicks (well, mouse over on the character rotate button) make a noise, and last night, when I went to character creation, there was music, but I'm not hearing any when I first log in, which is disconcerting.

Not currently. The login screen was rebuilt more or less from scratch with the PC 1.0 client (there is a reason for that which will become clear in future updates), but there was an oversight and the music wasn't added back in. The music from the login screen normally continues into character creation as well.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 04:57:51 PM »
I realized that it is likely worth noting that my HP laptop came with B&O speakers. It seems that there's some sort of program or software or something that B&O has installed / bundled on the laptop. I suspect that it is the "effect" or "enhancement" that the error message talked about. I've had no issues with anything other than the initial (solved) CoH issue, so I haven't bothered to look into it. I do tend to remove "bloatware" as a matter of course, but with things like audio, I stay away since I don't want to not have sound at all, and the issue was resolved.