Author Topic: Blizzard just shut down the biggest independent WoW server, and they're ticked  (Read 6965 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Not that it's likely to do anything, but they're demanding Blizzard change their policy about such servers.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/7/11384154/world-of-warcraft-nostalrius-shutdown-blizzard

Anybody know anyone who played there? We can always use some more irate voices who want some changes made to the DMCA. One of these days, WoW will close, and on that day, the shizzle is going to hit the fan.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Ah the great trimming happened.  Good perhaps this will actually open up a conversation.

Is this the "WoW Classic" server that everyone seems to play on?  I had quite a few friends play that server if it is the same one I am thinking of.

Seems strange they would do it now after all this time.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
Yeah it's the classic server. And I thought the same thing, Blizzard took their sweet time. Which might be intentional as a message to say, "Not only is it not worth it, but look at how much of your lifetime we just erased right before your eyes?"

Though when you think about it, given the poor success rate of them, that same deterrent is beginning to apply to official servers...

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
  • The one The only Alpha Protocol V2.9
I played on it for a time, it is truly sad. The amount of effort the Nostalrius team put in was astonishing, I just find it curious how blizzard pick their targets. As most private/independent WoW Servers are left/swept under the carpet
Daoc CoH and WoW

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
They only go after well known and very popular servers or those that are secretly selling items that get caught doing so. Best defense is to avoid selling items for cash and keep the server population under 1000 players.

Blizzard also likes to do this around the time a major expansion is coming which just so happens to be this summer.

Graydar

• Lieutenant
Blizzard also likes to do this around the time a major expansion is coming which just so happens to be this summer.

This. In response, many of the people who were actually subscribed and pre-ordering Legion cancelled. The Nostalrius database is being released, though, so the characters of the people who played there are going to live on in a sense and people will get another home. This time, hopefully without the weird lag. :)

Surelle

Not that it's likely to do anything, but they're demanding Blizzard change their policy about such servers.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/7/11384154/world-of-warcraft-nostalrius-shutdown-blizzard

Anybody know anyone who played there? We can always use some more irate voices who want some changes made to the DMCA. One of these days, WoW will close, and on that day, the shizzle is going to hit the fan.

The difference here being that WoW is still up and running, not to mention still getting whole expansions added to it on a timely basis (the newest of which, Legion, launches this very summer).  There's no DMCA issue there at all.  Of course Blizzard would want an emu shut down.  Wouldn't you if you were in their shoes?