Author Topic: Any 3D Modellers here? Need Blender Help  (Read 2786 times)

silvers1

• Boss
Any 3D Modellers here? Need Blender Help
« on: April 10, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
I've been trying my hand at modding XCOM 2 and have been trying to create a custom weapon for the last couple days.   I have the weapon modeled ok in Blender, and it looks ok - but the mod needs both the mesh and the UV map to work correctly.   I've tried everything I can think of, but cannot get the UV map to render correctly.   Any experts out there who can help?

Note:  Never done 3d modeling before, so I'm sure it's something simple - but beyond me.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

JoshexProxy

• [citation needed]²
  • Boss
Re: Any 3D Modellers here? Need Blender Help
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 09:52:08 AM »
yeah, I can help but I need more information;

the UV map is the layout of the model's faces saved in the UV face editor. it merely defines where the image goes on the model. there are multiple methods for saving the UV map 1; in the actual .blend file, 2; as an image, and a few others, what file format (ex; .blend, .tga) is XCOM 2 asking for?

if it's in the actual blend itself then it's a simple settings thing. which means I need to know what version of blender you are using and what texture/images you are using or what you want to the images to do.

Example: 1; my image is just to color the object, 2: my image is to make it look more detailed than it is and reacts to light, 3; my texture makes it reflective.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:15:55 AM by JoshexProxy »

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 12:34:23 AM »
Hi Joshex,
I'm using the latest version of Blender ( 2.77 ).   XCOM 2 is expecting an FBX as input.

I don't know how to create the armature for my mesh.   I've looked at several youtube videos, and they all do it differently.
I think I just need a single bone, but darned if I know how to combine it with my mesh.

I'm able to import the fbx as a static mesh, but once I select skeletal mesh, it just gives me an "Import Failed" error.

I have four textures that I've applied to various parts of the weapon.

Would it be possible to send you my .blend files to take a look?  One is the mesh before I merged into a single object.
Thanks.
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

JoshexProxy

• [citation needed]²
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 01:08:50 AM »
Hi Joshex,
I'm using the latest version of Blender ( 2.77 ).   XCOM 2 is expecting an FBX as input.

I don't know how to create the armature for my mesh.   I've looked at several youtube videos, and they all do it differently.
I think I just need a single bone, but darned if I know how to combine it with my mesh.

I'm able to import the fbx as a static mesh, but once I select skeletal mesh, it just gives me an "Import Failed" error.

I have four textures that I've applied to various parts of the weapon.

Would it be possible to send you my .blend files to take a look?  One is the mesh before I merged into a single object.
Thanks.

yeah sure send it to me. I'll pm you my email.