Author Topic: Can't get 1.0 to work. Help!  (Read 4539 times)

Mr. DNA

• Underling
Can't get 1.0 to work. Help!
« on: April 12, 2016, 02:49:33 AM »
I keep getting the message "Some critical components of Issue 24 cannot be found." Then, the bootstrap is automatically deleted. When I try to re-download, I'm told I have "Insufficient permission" to download.

Where is Issue 24 supposed to be placed?
What critical components am I missing?
Is this a Nemesis plot?

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
Re: Can't get 1.0 to work. Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:53:30 AM »
Sounds like you are running this from a non-administrator user.  Login as an administrator account and try it.

OH, here is something from Codewalker in a different thread:
"That's certainly bizarre... the check that has to fail to get that message is the same one that it has to pass in order to recognize it as an I24 install in the first place. The only way that should be able to happen is if the contents of the COH directory have somehow changed since then.

If you're comfortable using the registry editor, try deleting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ParagonChat\CohDir. That will force the setup pages to run again. See if they are able to find it anymore."

Mr. DNA

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 05:12:10 AM »
I am the only account on this computer. Also, I tried running the bootstrap as an Admin, but still got the same thing.

Is there a specific place I24 is supposed to be put?

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 08:32:14 AM »
I24 files should be in the Tequila Folder.  The Tequila Folder should not be in the Games folder or the Program Files Folder.  I have mine in the Documents Folder and everything works fine.  Good Luck!
I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 01:58:24 AM »
Particularly on Windows 10, don't put things in the program files folder. Older versions would just deny outright or throw up a UAC prompt but Windows 10 likes to silently put things in a virtual folder instead, or so I've heard. Which really screws with anything expecting files to actually be where the system says they are.

Also on Windows 10, supposedly if you copy files in from another computer it'll mark them as potentially unsafe and screw with them anyway regardless of where they are.

It doesn't generally much matter where they are, it's just a couple of places they shouldn't be.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 03:08:20 AM »
That advice no longer applies to Paragon Chat 1.0. It was redesigned specifically so you don't have to worry about UAC, running as administrator, and whether or not Windows is silently redirecting files written to the COH game folder. It puts its own files in your user profile where you don't need any special permissions, and it only ever reads data from the COH folder, never writes.

The best thing to do for the 'critical files cannot be found' error is to delete the ParagonChat registry key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software. If you aren't comfortable with regedit, you can also try modifying the shortcut to add -nux to the end of the command line (after the .exe, and make sure there is a space).

Future versions of Paragon Chat will handle this better and give you a way to find your COH folder again if the one that was initially used got moved or deleted.

Mr. DNA

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 05:02:25 AM »
Ok, I've gone into the registry and deleted the ParagonChat. I have installed a clean copy, went to my BitDefender widget, and allowed access to the bootstrap and ParagonChat.exe.

I now get the error "Unable to launch client process. Access is denied."

Frustration level: 12

I KNOW I'll get this going, but for the life of me, I can't figure out where I'm going wrong!

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 12:00:10 AM »
You'll have to allow access to ParagonChatClient.exe as well. By the sound of it that might be all you need to do now.

That advice no longer applies to Paragon Chat 1.0. It was redesigned specifically so you don't have to worry about UAC, running as administrator, and whether or not Windows is silently redirecting files written to the COH game folder. It puts its own files in your user profile where you don't need any special permissions, and it only ever reads data from the COH folder, never writes.

Right... I forgot about that, sorry. Ignore me, everyone.

Mr. DNA

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 05:13:11 AM »
GOT IT! See you in game! Thanks much for all the input!

It was my BitDefender that kept sanitizing the paragonchat.exe. I kept allowing it, but once I tried to run it again, it did the process over again. No other way to fix it, other than to turn off AV while in-game.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 05:27:58 AM by Mr. DNA »

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 12:54:52 PM »
Once you've successfully run it once, you might try adding ParagonChatClient.exe to the exceptions list. That's the file that several scanners take issue with because of the way it hooks into the COH client. Since it's one that has to be created dynamically at first run, some of them make it painful to add the exception before it exists.

If you have an option to submit that file as a false positive, please use it. The more people complain about it, the greater the chance of the AV vendors fixing their software to not panic.