Author Topic: Does real world identity doesn't matter if/when City of Heroes comes back?  (Read 26903 times)

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
After City of Heroes was shut down on November 30, 2012 the community have drawn close together by using social media like Facebook and Twitter to stay in touch. Then, later on there's a site called "CoH Faces Behind the Mask!" where City of Heroes players revealed their real identity.

My question is if/when City of Heroes comes back is it "OK" to use your real name in the game even though some people know who you are in social media? For example, when we global friend someone it will show the @Globalname on your Global Friends list. If the players wants to get to know each other more personal they'll say "My name is ______" or someone will say "Hi I'm _____ from the Titan Network." We all know who Tony V is. I understand we have Paragon Chat but, I don't think that counts in my opinion.

LateNights

• Elite Boss
I am Batman...

I'd share my identity, but I'd rather keep it in game rather than share it on Facebook etc, because I keep Facebook strictly for family and I rarely post there myself...

On most servers I'm @The Ruined Mind

In fact that's my gaming email and Xbox gamer tag, if not that I'm LateNight or LateNights.

Although I only play WoW, Vainglory on iPad or Gta V and rarely Fable 2 on Xbox...

But no - my identity itself doesn't matter - however I'd still like to spare my family from hearing about CoH every other time they checked Facebook.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
The wording of the thread title is very confusing.

As for player identity, the nature of the net is towards anonymity, if you choose to make your identity public, then when (not if), the crazies get personal (and sooner or later they do), you will have no safe refuge.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Surelle

After City of Heroes was shut down on November 30, 2012 the community have drawn close together by using social media like Facebook and Twitter to stay in touch. Then, later on there's a site called "CoH Faces Behind the Mask!" where City of Heroes players revealed their real identity.

My question is if/when City of Heroes comes back is it "OK" to use your real name in the game even though some people know who you are in social media? For example, when we global friend someone it will show the @Globalname on your Global Friends list. If the players wants to get to know each other more personal they'll say "My name is ______" or someone will say "Hi I'm _____ from the Titan Network." We all know who Tony V is. I understand we have Paragon Chat but, I don't think that counts in my opinion.

I wouldn't bother wasting much time thinking about this.  If someday there really is a CoH rez at some point you can decide what to do then.  (Although it's been 3 1/2 years now, during which time multiple groups tried to buy CoH unsuccessfully, between the original dev team, then Mercedes Lackey's Hail Mary group, then a couple years ago Nate Downes and some investors tried again.)  If NCSoft had even the slightest interest in rezzing CoH or leasing the IP for sequels, they'd have done it many years before now, let's face it. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:58:18 PM by Surelle »

Soul Resonance

• Boss
I wouldn't bother wasting much time thinking about this.  If someday there really is a CoH rez at some point you can decide what to do then.  (Although it's been 3 1/2 years now, during which time multiple groups tried to buy CoH unsuccessfully, between the original dev team, then Mercedes Lackey's Hail Mary group, then a couple years ago Nate Downes and some investors tried again.)  If NCSoft had even the slightest interest in rezzing CoH or leasing the IP for sequels, they'd have done it many years before now, let's face it.
Okay, and that's fine to have this pregotive(more power to you!! :)). For others, I implore you to see the front page of New Efforts! Thread and read through the timeline for all your current infoz. :D.

Back on topic: Meh, I'm of the mindset that this community is waaay more mature than pretty much any other out there(my experiences being the basis for this assumption, ofc.). Feel free to post w/e in-game, just, as always with anything pretty much anywhere, be mindful :)
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!

We get it; you think things have stopped in the negotiations... you're wrong. End of story.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss

You have no information and so as humans do you fill it in as your personal leaning takes you. Some turn to despair, some turn to believing it was all a hoax. Others will fill the vacuum believing in the best.

I know people are still working to get the game. How long will it take? I don't know, but I do know they will not throw all the time invested to just violate an NDA to give us an update.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
To a large extent, I feel exactly opposite.

As long as you can get someone to listen, the odds should go up as the amount of time goes by.  The emotional investment in the situation should depreciate with time.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
You have no information and so as humans do you fill it in as your personal leaning takes you. Some turn to despair, some turn to believing it was all a hoax. Others will fill the vacuum believing in the best.

I know people are still working to get the game. How long will it take? I don't know, but I do know they will not throw all the time invested to just violate an NDA to give us an update.
BingoBingoBingo !!!! Drink bingo all the time. (sorry for the Secret World Reference :D ) You nailed it Wolf as always, while I like others would like some new news, I can understand that 3+ years should not be wasted due to a break in the NDA. I personally believe we will be flying once more at some point, just not at the moment. another way of thinking about this, all the enemy groups have to major recruiting due to all of the MIA's we all caused both hero and villain; and this takes a long time. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey

We get it; you think things have stopped in the negotiations... you're wrong. End of story.

I heart you.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
The wording of the thread title is very confusing.

As for player identity, the nature of the net is towards anonymity, if you choose to make your identity public, then when (not if), the crazies get personal (and sooner or later they do), you will have no safe refuge.

Iv'e never had safe refuge. This is something I'm used to and have always lived with.

If there is such a thing as safe refuge, I am an illegal alien and thus not allowed there. There must be big signs out front.

A moving target for some crazies that don't have anything better to do. ho-hum.

I get attacked. Often. I kind of quit caring about the big scary evils out to get me because it got to the point, I can either live my life, or hide in the shadows and never shine.

Also; my secret identity was doomed ....slightly before the moment I got married.

For me... it goes with the territory.

Surelle

You don't have to shrink your font down and hide it, lol.  However, if you take a peek at another thread in this forum, you will find that I am far from the only rational person who thinks the 3rd attempt to rez CoH/lease the IP has failed.  You're entitled to your opinion, like we are to ours.  *shrug*

As always, though, we are no worse off than we ever were, personally I am grateful to Nate and the team that tried (as well as to the previous teams who also tried), and we do still have Paragon Chat.   8)  It's better than nothing.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
When it comes to an MMO, close friends know my name, if someone decides to spread it, I don't really give a damn.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
You don't have to shrink your font down and hide it, lol.  However, if you take a peek at another thread in this forum, you will find that I am far from the only rational person who thinks the 3rd attempt to rez CoH/lease the IP has failed.  You're entitled to your opinion, like we are to ours.  *shrug*

As always, though, we are no worse off than we ever were, personally I am grateful to Nate and the team that tried (as well as to the previous teams who also tried), and we do still have Paragon Chat.   8)  It's better than nothing.
I guess there are two ways to look at it.   Pessimistic or optimistic.    I kinda think it doesn't hurt to be optimistic.   If you ultimately find out you were wrong, it hurts that one time.   If you are pessimistic, you avoid the one big hurt in favor of being in that negative state of mind for years.

And I know pessimistic and optimistic people in real life.   I think the pessimistic people take that route to "never be disappointed".   But optimistic people don't really work like that.....they are just happy all the time.  Any disappointment which comes their way is very temporary as they go right back to being optimistic about life in general.   I think I want to be on their team.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
When it comes to an MMO, close friends know my name, if someone decides to spread it, I don't really give a damn.

I'm not going to speak to the "Is City of Heroes coming back?" point.  It's a sore subject around here and I'm a babe in the woods.  I know nothing concerning any of the Plan Z projects (past what is on their websites, which you have just as much access to) or the "New Efforts" talks (which I'm not a party of... if I signed an NDA, I couldn't even say that much) so I'm out of my element in that regard.

But I'm with Waffles. I partook in the thread when the COH Boards were around, even threw in a grainy photo.  I'm not ever going to think that people will remember my real identity outside of a small handful who contact me more frequently than once per month.  The rest of you, well...  It's not hate, nor apathy, it's just the human attention span.  The City of Heroes community at a point was in the 100s of thousands to million (perhaps millions) level of membership.  Much like a real City, "here" is big enough for two people to be in close proximity for years (decades if NCSoft would have allowed it), maybe possible soulmates, potentially mutual nemeses, and yet never come into contact with each other based on probability alone.

If somebody knows my name, it doesn't matter.  They can search Google for goofy college photos someone posted of me back in the early 2000's that I can't take down now, but that's about all they'll find. 

Or they can find the wrong match of my name, and that's where things get entertaining.  They can learn I'm either a college student on a Football scholarship in Louisiana, a preacher who just got married in Texas, or (if you ignore my middle initial) a woman in Minnesota (My first name is apparently a unisex name, so that's fun) who recently is pursuing Wicca after leaving a Jehovah's Witness church 25 years into her life. 

All three of which is probably more interesting than my life currently is in any regard. :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:38:13 AM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
After seeing what has happened to a number of PvP'ers in multiple games who have let their IRL names be known, anonymity generally seems to be the best policy. Some people don't know how to keep the fighting limited to the battlefield.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
Honestly, after years of being @ukase, I think people would get confused with my real name suddenly being known.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
I am already using my real name. 

I am Mr. Jiwede.  Taceus Jiwede.

ryuplaneswalker

• New Efforts # 17,000!
  • Boss
My given name is Shawn, but my real name is Ryu anyways so I prefer Ryu in real life and on the net.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
Goddangit was an NPC I invented for the role-playing game Superworld.  He was one of a set of NPCs players could choose to take on their adventures for support.  When I decided to Keep It Simple and make a tank as my first CoH hero he seemed ideal.

In short, only a handful of people could possibly link my Real Life identity to this name.  And even if they did it's No Big Deal.  In summation, if they make the connection I don't care.

(P.S. I do come from an era that you DO NOT give out your correct name.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 12:09:01 PM by Goddangit »