Author Topic: Meeces  (Read 4956 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Meeces
« on: April 17, 2016, 02:46:51 PM »
Sooooooo... The last mouse I played CoH with and that was recommended to me by The War Mage, from Liberty, is finally becoming useless. Two more buttons decided to not only stop working yesterday, they fell off. LOL. The left-click has been going out for awhile - that's the main prob. L-click is kinda handy..

I'm shopping for a replacement and first off I want to warn people about Logitech's latest (it's kinda old now) wireless gaming mouse the g700(s). This is a Great wireless laser gaming mouse, however, some of the buttons can be relatively delicate for a gamer. Left and right clicking of the Scroll Wheel was the first thing to go out - don't put anything intense/frequently used here - I used them for targeting. The top buttons started going next, and two of the side buttons are the ones that fell off and after looking where they were mounted I can see that it is just cheap, flimsy, interlocking plastic holding things together.

Logitech gaming mice over the past couple of decades have been extremely reliable and durable, for me. I would say the g700, although very nice to play with when it is fully functional, is an exception. I may well end up getting another one, but, this time I'll know better how to use it to make it last longer.

Anyway, there ya go. That's *my* advice  : )

Anyone have any advice for me what would be a good replacement? I might get another g700. It's cordless and responds just as fast as a corded mouse and even though I had bad luck with the buttons it does have a decent amount of them and in the right places. I've seen them new for as low as $50 but it's rare - E-bay had refurbs for sale for $40, delivered, yesterday. If You get one of these.. don't pay $100...

The corded (ugh) g600 MMO button monster mouse is another mouse I'm looking at. The buttons look fairly easy to use and there's tons, and, it's Logitech.

Do you have a wonder mouse? What is it??

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Canine

• Lieutenant
Re: Meeces
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 08:33:33 PM »
My Logitech G9x finally got past the point of no return.  Still worked fine mechanically, but became less comfortable as the rubberised components disintegrated with the effects of sweat and time.

So, I went to the Logitech G502 (proteus Core).

Its appearance can be... challenging (i.e. it looks ugly as sin to some people), but it feels solid in the hand - especially with all the tuning masses installed, and I've had good luck with Logitech mice over the years.  Also, It's a wired mouse; this is important to me as I really don't like wireless mice.

:edit: Oh, and it moves the latch on the scroll wheel ratchet to the top of the mouse, making it *far* more useful.  Combine that with the nice heavy scroll wheel, and you can scroll allllll the way down long webpages in one flick of the wheel once you've clicked off the ratchet.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:57:00 PM by Canine »

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 09:48:50 PM »
I went cordless keyboard/mouse since before they were good, and then came back and stuck with them since they got good. Cords are kryptonite to me. All cords. Everywhere. To get a good gaming mouse back, and due to a cord would stretch to where I sit for a change, I'd go corded again at least once.

I considered the G502 already. It's a similar design to what I'm using now but with more thumb buttons and those thumb buttons on my mouse are nice and I miss the two I lost. A lot. The G502's look well placed for easy access and thumb memorization/navigation. Well, and there's more of them.

The scroll wheel on the G700 is very nice out of the box (mine's still nice for surfing and scrolling in games) and it feels substantial too but I mashed it left and right too many times until the left and right button functions went away. I wouldn't mind having another something similar and that could stand up to more use.

Anyway. Cool. This mouse was already on the watch list and just got bumped up. Off the top of my head the only other Logitech I'd consider is the G600 'MMO mouse' - the one with like 20 buttons. Not only would it satisfy my urge to try a mouse with 20 buttons.. It just went on sale here locally for under $50. And it's Logitech. It's corded too but I'm being open.. To tripping, and tangling and things people who aren't cord (cursed) challenged can't imagine.

I have a house of cards budget going atm but that doesn't stop me from window shopping until I know I can grab something awesome. Asap. Thanks much. You've reinforced my likingness of this mouse with your testimonial  : ) I don't mind how it looks btw.. Not a bit. It looks just right to me. I can see me barrel rolling in one of my favorite games again in no time with a 502.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »
This is what I use:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1KT1AK0035

It have been so far a wonderful mouse. Currently on sale for $13.69

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:23:42 PM »
That is not a bad looking mouse for the money. L./R Scroll wheel and two side buttons for 14 bucks. I mean. come on..

Really tho, it has to have at least 2 more side buttons for me to get a new mouse. I mean, I waited this long... Two of mine are still working, too.

I was just about to order a Logitech MMO mouse, the 20 button jobbie. 12 of them are thumb buttons *purr* and if I read it right there is a button to switch to 12 alternate hotkeys which would be situational but possibly useful. The main thing that makes me want to pounce is I can get it for 41 bucks delivered. 40 bucks has been my target price and I haven't hit that target since some months now..

14 bucks! wow. That's a nice looking mouse, too. I've been ordering from Newegg almost eggsclusively since ~ 10 years now because of their prices and reviews and due to having no problems with them on orders. I've been exclusively Logitech since just about their first retail meeces, but, yeah, there are other nice mice out there. That looks like a really good deal. Thanks for the tip  : ) I'm going to see what else they have with more thumbies.

--------------------------------

Hmmmm.... had I not just sold myself on 12 side buttons I would probably be sold on these 5..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZZ34G7634&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

The obvious solution is to wait a day or two to make up my mind and at that time neither should be on sale!

I see cords in my future but oh well..
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:51:58 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 07:25:51 PM »
Quote from: Xev

The obvious solution is to wait a day or two to make up my mind and at that time neither should be on sale!

I see cords in my future but oh well..

The way I look at it is there are three things you use *every* single time you use your PC.  The Monitor, the keyboard and the mouse.

Don't skimp on them.

Save up if you have to, over a few months if necessary, but get the peripherals that you feel comfortable using.

I'll happily pay 70 quid for a mouse, 120ish for my keyboard, and 400ish when I last bought a monitor for decent quality gear.

Oh, and wireless peripherals are the tools of satan.  A battery running below usable level will always happen at an inconvenient time.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 11:41:07 PM »
I'm not gonna get into wireless vs. cords because we obviously have opposite nemesis's and I'm gonna choose to respect yours.

I totally agree with everything you are saying, otherwise. My PC is my entire entertainment world outside of the work I do outdoors and the time I spend with my doggies. My PC has been the center of my home entertainment system for ... long, so, yeah, I agree. Don't skimp on the important things in life if you can possibly avoid it.

I've had the money to buy a replacement since before last Christmas I'm just afraid to let it out of my death grip in my current situation, so, I continue to just window shop instead.

This thread has helped me make up my mind btw.

I want to try that MMO mouse.. 12 thumblies.. There's no wireless equivalent that I've seen, either. There are other wired versions from other manufacturers but they are the same price so why not get the original and a Logitech. I went to order one yesterday but ... it didn't work out. Technical difficulty with the shopping cart of the seller's webpage.

Death-grip mode: (back) /on. For now at least.

I REALLY want to get back to.. a certain game, though, and I can't do it with the limping slowly towards death mouse I have and have fun. And dangit, I've waited long enough. Maybe. That mouse makes my eyes glaze over when I think of playing Star Trek Online with it.. Champions Online, too.

When I go to order again this is probably the mouse I'll choose due to I want the buttons. Luckily I can also justify the price due to what you have said above and that I have waited so long. My current one falling apart helps in loosening the death grip I have on some savings, too.

Anyway, thanks for all input - wired or not  : )

Some Faves:

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:25:27 PM »
One advantage to the wired mouse you might not have considered--the moment that you drop a wireless mouse (and you will) it immediately runs away and hides under furniture, causing a curse-embellished hunt for it.  Where a wired mouse all you have to do is reel it back in on its tether.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »
If I were elected ruler of this reality the first thing I would do is abolish the need for all cords. Next thing, hills will only go downhill (this is mainly for bicyclists and those running irrigation). Also, cleanliness will spontaneously occur - much like how it works with messes in this reality. Messes will never spontaneously occur, like they do in here and now. FOR now....

*plots*

Oh yeah, and if you're a jerk to any other living thing and get a kick out of it your head explodes. When you are out of sight. So as to not gross out the rest of us.

Some Faves:

Fireheart

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 07:52:56 PM »
I have a friend that Swears they MUST have a wireless mouse and keyboard or nothing.

Then they regularly swear and mutter and drop out of games, because they need to change the batteries.

This makes me want to laugh, uproariously, and I continue on, with my illuminated mechanical keyboard and mouse - both with nice long cords.

Be Well!
Fireheart

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 10:09:59 PM »
I don't want to get dragged into a whole wireless vs. wired thing. I mean, whatever is your thing is your thing. Enjoy. That's what it's all about.

I will tell you right here and now though. If you know what wireless equipment to buy (I'm talking specifically about mouse and keyboard) and how to use it you will never run out of batteries for more than a few seconds, and rarely even that will happen, and you will never have reception less than what a corded user enjoys. Or close enough to never that it doesn't matter.

This is coming from someone who has enjoyed this experience since more years than I even remember.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 07:02:37 PM »
I finally ended up with a Logitech G600 and have had some time to test it out.

It has to be a tempting gaming mouse if you ever see a picture due to it has the most buttons of any I've seen and... it comes from Logitech and says MMO... So... I thought I'd come back and report my experience so far after well over a hundred hours of use.

There are lots of pros and cons about this mouse but as far as actually using it to dominate your favorite game goes I think the major consideration is the thumb button shape. On most gaming mice the thumbies are thin and kinda wide. This makes them easy to find and punch and most importantly - keep separate.

The thumbies on the G600 MMO mouse are like the buttons on a cell phone.. They're shaped friendlier but the concept is the same. There's a million pics on Google. Now, imagine playing your favorite game with your cell phone at your thumb for buttons.. It works, but, not as good as the thinner, wider, more separate buttons that normally occupy the thumb button spaces on gaming mice. The G600 buttons can be easy to push two at the same time, and, I can only reach half of them quickly - so, I only end up using half of them for normal play. The other half of the buttons I use for non time critical stuff like opening interface menus such as queue menus or whatever else that I do regularly enough that it would be nice to have a mouse button for.

This is coming from the perspective of playing a fairly fast paced mmo in a ... err.. often prominent role.

Would I buy this mouse again....? Hmm. Yeah. On sale. Like I did this time. I got mine for 40 bucks delivered and it is definitely worth that.

Would I switch my primary mouse to a (Wireless preferably tyvm) mouse with the more common wider & thinner thumbies if I could? Hmm. Yeah. Probably. For some reason they almost all only have 4 or even just 2. 4 would have to be the bare minimum otherwise I'll just stick with the G600 and its 6 of 12 thumbies that I can fairly reliably reach.

For playing a non fast paced game the g600 is hard to beat. The highly customizable illuminated buttons easily configured with Logitech Gaming software make this thing a Cadillac.

Something else worth mentioning about this mouse is that it has not just a left and right button but a Left, Right, and Other Right. I'm kinda getting addicted to the Other Right button. Fitting that it would be on a Logitech mouse, too.

Anyways. That's my review.
Some Faves: