Author Topic: File-downloading program?  (Read 2389 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
File-downloading program?
« on: April 25, 2016, 01:46:39 AM »
Let's say that there are several files that you want to download - audio or video files, so they're nice and big - and, with DSL, downloading them will take over half an hour per file. Is there some sort of batch-downloader program, such that you can tell it what files you want, and click START, and it'll download them for you while you're at work or sleeping? We'll assume that you want them all downloaded to the same folder, and that you don't mind if they keep their original filenames. (BTW, I'm not talking about any kind of file-sharing or torrent-type situation; just the normal type of "right-click the link and choose SAVE LINK AS..." sort of thing.) Thanks for any help.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

System Bridger

• Underling
  • Software Engineer
Re: File-downloading program?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:13:11 AM »
I don't know what OS or browser you use, but generally speaking, there are browser addons that can do that. They're usually called "download managers". Personally, I use the "DownThemAll" extension for Firefox.

Canine

• Lieutenant
Re: File-downloading program?
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 02:50:31 PM »
Let's say that there are several files that you want to download - audio or video files, so they're nice and big - and, with DSL, downloading them will take over half an hour per file. Is there some sort of batch-downloader program, such that you can tell it what files you want, and click START, and it'll download them for you while you're at work or sleeping? We'll assume that you want them all downloaded to the same folder, and that you don't mind if they keep their original filenames. (BTW, I'm not talking about any kind of file-sharing or torrent-type situation; just the normal type of "right-click the link and choose SAVE LINK AS..." sort of thing.) Thanks for any help.

I've used Getright for that for about a decade or so.

I don't use it much, if at all nowadays though, since the differential between file size and transfer speed has reduced.

For huge (multi Gb) downloads, I tell my NAS to download it overnight.