Author Topic: Technical discussion of bases  (Read 49613 times)

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
Re: Technical discussion of bases
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2016, 07:10:02 PM »
I really doubt it. Base items aren't spawned. When you place one, the entire "world" map is rebuilt in order to have that item in the correct place. They aren't entities like NPCs but static props just like the Atlas Statue or City Hall. It's also done clientside and only works in a base map.
Which explains why bases were so awful with flashing while someone else was editing them?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2016, 07:15:36 PM »
Yes, that's the base being rebuilt. It takes a frame or two for all of the vertex lighting to be recalculated.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2016, 08:36:43 PM »
Drats.  I mostly want the regular furniture items.  Thanks for the explanations.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2016, 06:11:09 AM »
Back when COH was up and running, I know around the holidays each year many base-builders would ask the Devs if we could ever import "Christmas Trees" into the bases (even like the white-lit ones around the Ski Chalet,, but it never happened.  Once the bugs are worked out and the bases are up and running again in Paragon Chat, might there be any chance of importing lit fir trees like the ones in the Chalet, or will we only be working with what was available at shutdown?

War-Base

• Underling
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2016, 07:30:14 AM »
Back when COH was up and running, I know around the holidays each year many base-builders would ask the Devs if we could ever import "Christmas Trees" into the bases (even like the white-lit ones around the Ski Chalet,, but it never happened.  Once the bugs are worked out and the bases are up and running again in Paragon Chat, might there be any chance of importing lit fir trees like the ones in the Chalet, or will we only be working with what was available at shutdown?

Even if we can't ever get actual trees imported, with a little creativity using the limited trees, lights, plants and colored bottles we had to play with, some pretty nice custom Christmas trees could be built.  They tended to be a bit on the large scale, but they were still passable and obvious as to what they were.

Though, an actual tree in the proper scale without the hours of work needed to make it look pretty might be a nice option...

:)

-WarBase-
He who had a Christmas tree up year round in his main base...  Mainly because he didn't want to spend a few hours re-making it every holiday season....

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2016, 05:07:16 PM »
Like this one:
I was quite proud of it, but yeah a lot of work.

War-Base

• Underling
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2016, 03:22:57 AM »
Like this one:
I was quite proud of it, but yeah a lot of work.

Beautiful work!

Are one of those presents for me?

Is is a base tour?  Nicely wrapped in a shiney bow?

-WarBase-
He who was always on the naughty list and never got the presents he wanted...