Author Topic: X-Men: Age of Apocalypse  (Read 3211 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
X-Men: Age of Apocalypse
« on: May 31, 2016, 02:11:21 PM »
So....

I saw the movie yesterday. Would have expected someone to have started  a thread about the actual movie itself at some point, but here's one now.  :D

For the most part, I liked it. I liked where Mystique was at the start of the movie.

It'll be interesting to see if there's another one ... oh, who I am kidding?! There will be another ... we just have to wait and see if they use the same cast or do another reboot.  :)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: X-Men: Age of Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 03:49:05 PM »
I haven't seen it yet, but I have seen all the others.

It's totally confusing how they tried to tie in 'Days' and 'First Class' with the first three films - it doesn't work no matter how you do it.

Too many discontinues - the origin of Cerebro is told differently from each set of films, the ages and some first meetings of most of the X-Men don't fit from each set of films, in the first trilogy Trask is a large black man while in Days he is a white little person.

Would have been better off in Days not having all the original X-men from the first trilogy show up and just make them a full reboot like the Trek films or the newer Spiderman films.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 06:01:30 PM »
There's no real way that the Prequel series fits into the first series. For one thing, Scott Summers and Emma Frost appeared twice in different time periods with different origins. The future that Logan comes back to prevent in Days of Future Past has Mystique alive and well in 2000 when she's established as having died in 1973 in DOFP's original timeline. (That's not even counting Professor X being alive again and Wolverine having his Adamatium claws after having lost them in his last movie.)

On another tangent, I really do like the movie version of Quicksilver. In the comics he's always come across as being a mediocre mutant compared to Magneto and Scarlet Witch. Nice to see him more powerful for a change.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 06:34:12 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if there's another one ... oh, who I am kidding?! There will be another ... we just have to wait and see if they use the same cast or do another reboot.  :)

They already have another one in the works, supposedly with them in space, which probably means ugh no matter which option they go with.

Oh and a New Mutants and a Gambit and a final Wolverine.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:50:20 PM »
They already have another one in the works, supposedly with them in space, which probably means ugh no matter which option they go with.

Oh and a New Mutants and a Gambit and a final Wolverine.

A Brood story could be good.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 09:52:36 PM »
A Brood story could be good.

theoretically, though they were always an Alien ripoff. I was thinking they'd probably do the Shi'ar and the Vulcan storyline since they ruined dark phoenix already. Not that great a story but at least it has the possibility of purple mohawk.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 11:42:00 PM »
I give X-Men: Apocalypse 7.0 out of 10.

The good:

Michael Fassbender is still the best thing in the First Class continuity.  I wish if anything he was given more to do.

The bad:

James McAvoy's Professor X trajectory from First Class to Apocalypse in my opinion continues downward.  I can imagine the Xavier from First Class one day becoming the Professor X seen in the first X-Men.  The Xavier from Days of Future Past takes a huge step backward, but I could excuse that if the events of DoFP become the catalyst for him to eventually become the Xavier from the first X-Men movie.  But the Xavier in Apocalypse is really hollow to me.  He's a dreamer, but not a leader.  Even Beast doesn't fully buy into his blind optimism, and he's wholly unprepared for basically anything.  And the way the movie ends all but demotes him from the "strongest mind in the world" that Patrick Stewart's Xavier is always acknowledged to be (even in DoFP, and in X-Men Magneto always seems to have both respect and almost fear of Charles' power) to a second class power not on the same level as Msgneto.  I understand why they did it, but they didn't need to: Erik is not made to look weaker just to make Apocalypse look stronger.

One tag-protected spoiler I have to get off my chest:
Spoiler for Hidden:
It would have been so much better if Charles could only deadlock Apocalypse and he called Jean to put him over the top.  It would make Charles less of a punching bag, it would give Apocalypse a reason to need his power, it would preserve his status as a legitimately powerful person, it would portray him better as a real fighter that was willing to fight to protect his students, it would make the theme of team work actually make sense, and if they are heading where we all assume they are heading then it makes Charles a legitimate player to try to control Jean-as-Phoenix.  It would have even given them an opportunity to stage a better fight between Charles and Apocalypse on the astral plane.

Instead, Charles really didn't stop Apocalypse at all.  Jean, Storm, and Erik did, entirely by themselves.  The only thing Charles did was avoid getting taken over long enough for the rest of them to fully engage Apocalypse.  At no point does he really "lead" anyone, much less the X-Men.  Nothing in the McAvoy Xavier looks like it has the potential to become the Stewart Xavier in the future.

The just plain weird:

If you grew up on the X-Men in the 70s and 80s, you might get the sense that Simon Kinberg and Brian Singer binge-read the X-Men comics from the 80s and made a Chris Claremont checklist.  What did Storm look like in the 80s?  Check.  What did the kids do when they weren't fighting bad guys?  Check.  Any memorable supporting characters?  Caliban?  Okay, check.  What did he do?  Wait, he did what with Kitty Pryde?  Well, she ain't in this one: we'll work on that.

I half expected the Starjammers to show up in a post-credits stinger scene: that would have basically blacked out my Chris Claremont X-Men bingo card.  And the ending of the movie felt like the biggest check mark of all.  I didn't mind it, but it did feel like pandering upon reflection.

Overall:

Given Brian Singer's strengths with the previous X-Men movies, and the strengths of the First Class reboot, I found Apocalypse a bit disappointing overall.  Far too much lingering scenes of CGI-powers, not enough focus on characters.  In the first X-Men movie the bulk of the movie focused on character interactions.  Charles and Erik (that one scene sold the entire movie for me right there).  Logan and Rogue.  Scott, Jean, and Logan.  Xavier and Logan.  Even Magneto and Senator Kelly, Kelly and Storm.  If you didn't know anything about the X-Men, you quickly got to know all these characters and basically where they were coming from.  First Class reboots the movies with a focus on the triangle of Charles, Erik, and Raven, but also includes side stories between Raven and Hank, Charles and Moira.  In Apocalypse you just don't get any of that.  There are brief flashes of contact but none which advance any of the relationships between the characters.  It is as if Apocalypse is the final act of a larger story that has no internal story of its own.

Unfortunately, Apocalypse had the bad fortune to come out after Civil War.  None of its flaws would be any less flawed if it came out before Civil War, but Civil War does prove those flaws are not inevitable.

The movie is watchable, and the action is fun, and the mandatory Quicksilver scene is good, but it all felt shallow to me: not just in an absolute sense but compared to previous X-Men movies.  In fact, I dare say that less is going on in Apocalypse than in Last Stand, and that's saying something (granted, a lot that's going on in Last Stand is awful, but it is happening nonetheless).

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 07:38:48 AM »
I just saw it and overall really liked it. Thought it was leagues better than future past. I agree with Arcana's complaint that the characterization isn't there in this one (and a few of the character moments they did put in seemed really odd). But they made up for it as far as I'm concerned by actually making Apocalypse make sense (which the comics have never managed to do) and by weaving a lot of story threads together into a coherent whole.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I loved the integration of the Weapon X storyline, and the after-credits sequence actually makes me look forward to Wolverine 3. I liked the meta wink about how bad X3 was and that they seem to have taken it and the first Wolverine movie out of continuity, especially as that means they can do the Dark Phoenix with the Shi'ar in the next one if they choose.

I did have a few small problems with it apart from the aforementioned lack of characterization. For one, unless it's a bank account fight, an iq test, or a having sex with underage girls contest, Angel isn't going to beat Blob at anything. I hated what they did with poor Caliban, and making Psylocke a pure villain doesn't make sense to me either. Making Scott the ringleader of teenage monkeyshines doesn't seem right, though there was the suggestion that Alex's death would lead to the overwrought seriousness and sense of responsibility we're used to from him. That could actually end up being a decent bit of character building. The psychic plane fight was just all kinds of terrible, especially as the shape-changing stuff was in slow motion. It looked much better in the trailer.

But really I think giving a coherent explanation for Apocalypse's powers, age, and absence for thousands of years covers a lot of minor sins in my book, especially given the trainwrecks pretty much every writer has made of him in the comics over the years.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 10:53:38 PM »
I think it was an Okay X-Men movie.  It certainly wasn't bad like X3.

Spoiler for Hidden:
It does suffer the classic superhero film trope of killing off the villain.

The new "young" X-Men are fine for those who weren't in the background.  The Quicksilver bit midway through was the highlight as the fight at the end was meh.  I know there is a lot of J-Law hate but the very first film of this series lets her step into the role she has.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 03:37:31 AM »
Decided they should have
Spoiler for Hidden:
had Psylocke jump through the siege perilous instead of just slinking off through the shadows. The benefit would be two-fold - give her a meaningful exit and help Arcana to hit Bingo.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 06:24:27 PM »
I agree with FatherXmas. It was an Okay movie. However, after watching the movie this is the second time seeing brutal violence in a PG-13 movie under Batman vs. Superman. It almost seem like the movie was cut short into a PG-13 movie and have a rated R extended version on DVD including the "Jubilee in the mall" deleted scene similar to Batman vs. Superman. For example,

Spoiler for Hidden:
The opening fighting scene in Egypt, the police man killing Magneto's wife and [I believe it's Scarlet Witch] with a bow and arrow, Magneto decapitating the policemen with his chain, Apocalypse decapitating the Egyptians with sand, Magneto cursing at Apocalypse when he arrived at the factory, the death of Havoc and Archangel, and the Weapon X scene. It also seemed like Deadpool could come in and join the fight.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 08:10:46 PM »
Wait, there was violence in that movie? My desensitization-fu is strong.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 10:05:38 PM »
Wait, there was violence in that movie? My desensitization-fu is strong.

This pizza was seriously mauled:

Hedgefund

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 01:29:44 AM »
Other violence includes the millions of people Magneto killed when he was doing his magnet-fu on the whole planet.