Author Topic: How happy would you be if you found out it was coming back just as it was?  (Read 15861 times)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Either NCSOFT brought it back or sold it outright and someone restarted it up just where we left off.

Probably would have to make all new heroes -but hey - that was the fun part of it.

I would delete every MMO I have on my PC trying to find something that was just as good.

And prepare myself for days and days of non stop playing.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
How much I played would directly depend on the community.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
How much I played would directly depend on the community.

I agree with that sentiment.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
I'm with the doc... hours and hours of playing, community or not. A good community would increase that to lots and lots of hours and hours, but in any case it would be at least hours and hours even if it's just me, my family, and some long-term friends.

princezilla

• Boss
I'd be alright with it, unfortunately I believe the game as it was died for good when NCsoft pulled the plug. Had it continued uninterrupted it could have very well still been thriving today but by virtue of its momentum and quality but restarting exactly as it was I don't think it would bring the same crowd as it is very dated now. By the dev's own admission towards the end there were a number of parts of the game that were held together by the coding equivalent of duct tape and chewing gum not to mention that all of the old staff have dispersed in the years since the closure so updating it would be extremely challenging and without updates the game would stagnate. I'd still play it and I know a number of others would as well but I think that it just wouldn't generate the community necessary to sustain itself. It'd be a ghost of what it was before, frozen at the moment it died.

Since we have to start over anyway with all new characters I would rather have a true successor, a game set in the same world we know and love with all associated lore but updated with a truly modern system rather then trying to build on top of one that was over a decade old. The CoX IP has a ton of power and backed by a modern engine with a full team of passionate developers it could truly recapture what it was that made the original so special and be totally unlike anything else currently out there. That would bring back the community and a surge of new players so that it could a game as vibrant and alive as CoX was at its peak.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
restarting exactly as it was I don't think it would bring the same crowd as it is very dated now.

Yes, it's soooooooooooo 2012.
Hey, the game was fun, it would still attract people.
Count me in.

princezilla

• Boss
Yes, it's soooooooooooo 2012.
Hey, the game was fun, it would still attract people.
Count me in.

Try 2004 lol, they may have modernized parts of it as they went along but the core of the game is over a decade old and that limited a lot of what they could do as far as new content. I loved the game, still do, and would play it again in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself but without all their old characters and progress many might not return and there would be nothing at all to draw in new blood. So I say if we are going to restart then restart BIG.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
Nu school, old school, as long as City of Heroes returned, I'd be thrilled.....

A working game is more fun than  being a bar fly in club zero these days.

princezilla

• Boss
Nu school, old school, as long as City of Heroes returned, I'd be thrilled.....

A working game is more fun than  being a bar fly in club zero these days.

Yeah but without people there it still wouldn't be the same.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
I firmly believe that if COH were returned to us, even in perpetual maintenance mode with I-23, that a goodly number of the original community would return.  And there would be curious new players as well, whom it would be fun getting to know as well.  As for me, I would return the very first day, and if we had to start all our characters over at level 1, I would joyfully do so and level them all up again!

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
There may be players out there that think maintenance mode isn't good enough to say that the game is back and because the "band can't get back together" (Paragon Studios), that City of Heroes can't ever really come back.  Even maintenance mode would be as lifeless to them as Paragon Chat.

I for one, do not fall in that camp.  As Days of The New adequately put it in one of their songs: "Anything is everything to me."
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
There may be players out there that think maintenance mode isn't good enough to say that the game is back and because the "band can't get back together" (Paragon Studios), that City of Heroes can't ever really come back.  Even maintenance mode would be as lifeless to them as Paragon Chat.

I for one, do not fall in that camp.  As Days of The New adequately put it in one of their songs: "Anything is everything to me."

I agree...;D If anything, new life could be breathed into City of Heroes...I'm sure folks would make their own  'coffee talk videos', I miss those, silly as some of them were....But I at the moment  it's a moot point.  :-\

mkritsky

• Underling
Back in a heart beat. And I think this time around I'd enjoy it even more.  8)
"When everyone is out to get you, paranoid is just good thinking."
-Dr. Johnny Fever, WKRP

Reaper

• Lieutenant
I firmly believe that if COH were returned to us, even in perpetual maintenance mode with I-23, that a goodly number of the original community would return.  And there would be curious new players as well, whom it would be fun getting to know as well.  As for me, I would return the very first day, and if we had to start all our characters over at level 1, I would joyfully do so and level them all up again!

This.  I've spoken with at least a dozen former players that said they would return in a heartbeat if the game came back.  I've also shown old videos I had of gameplay to people who never had a chance to try it and they couldn't believe they missed the chance to play.  So I do believe we would have a decent community.  It may not stack up quite the same as the old community, but hey, anything is better than nothing at this point.

And with the constant people wandering into different threads and asking "what happened to the game" at random times, I think there is still enough interest.  A good portion of these people stick around and wait with us while we figure out how to preserve the community and/or game(s).
Patiently lurking from the shadows...

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
I would be extremely happy, it would not matter if it was in maintenance mode or not, as long as I am able to log in a play.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

princezilla

• Boss
If we got the rights to it would we try to update it? As far as I can tell all the game files are readily accessible and there are people here with experience towards that sort of thing as all the post closure projects show.

The biggest boon would be if we could get the server data but I have no idea if anyone still has access to that. I do know that somehow someone copied it and tried to make a private server but got shut down, after that I heard nothing not even who allegedly did it.

Vee

• Elite Boss
I do know that somehow someone copied it and tried to make a private server but got shut down, after that I heard nothing not even who allegedly did it.

The Illuminati have become increasingly sectarian of late. The CoH private server is yet another casualty of their infighting.

princezilla

• Boss
The Illuminati have become increasingly sectarian of late. The CoH private server is yet another casualty of their infighting.

Who knows :p

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
A tough one. Since the game ended, I've found other things to do with that time. I think I'd probably let my Netflix sub lapse and play CoH instead. But, I think I'd keep going to the gym and probably only play a couple of hours a day at most. Aside from badge events, that is.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Reaper

• Lieutenant
...only play a couple of hours a day at most. Aside from badge events, that is.

I'd have to agree with this.  I don't think I would put in nearly as much time as I had before shutdown.
Patiently lurking from the shadows...