Author Topic: How happy would you be if you found out it was coming back just as it was?  (Read 15860 times)

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
I don't know if people here are familiar with the game Istaria. Istaria started out as Horizons. Horizons was a fiasco in many ways for several reasons, but at the core of it there was some good stuff with some die-hard fans. Over the years Horizons changed hands a few times and limped along until eventually landing in the hands of people who wanted to do right by it and being renamed Istaria. Now it's basically a game ran by some fans for the fans. It hasn't changed much though they try to fix the problems and keep the lights on. It's never going to be a big thing or likely to evolve much, but for those that like the ancient sandbox they play in, they're happy. I kind of think something like this would be the best case scenario for CoX.

Ultimately, as I said above, how much I played the game would depend on the community. Community is what makes an MMO more than any other factor for me and CoX had the best community of any MMO I've played in 18ish years. That's the thing I miss the most about the game. So without community I don't think I would play CoX much, but I would still play it because it's CoX.

RGladden

• Boss
Dated...schmated!  The graphics were, and always will be, secondary to the game play and the community.  IF Issue 23 were to come back I predict that the response by the old fans would dwarf all current expectations.  Certainly, there would be a falling away later, but there would also be enough loyalists to keep CoH profitable.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
How happy would I be?
Very.

hindimjr

• Underling
Re: How happy would you be if you found out it was coming back just as it was?
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 05:03:47 AM »
I would return to playing immediately. Though It would be nice if there was something that could be done about my heroes hands. They look like flesh colored oven mitts.  ;D

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 11:02:56 PM »
my brain would explode.  I would play maintenance mode until the next thing came along... and pay $15 a month

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 11:06:44 AM »
I would be so ecstatic.

Power Play

• Minion
  • Liberty Eagle-Virtue/Power Play-Guardian
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2016, 08:37:41 AM »

I wouldn't go near it as long as it still had crafted "sets" of enhancements and the incarnate system.  Those two things ruined the game.  The devs said no one HAD to use them, but a character was massively underpowered compared to others of their level if they didn't include them.  I refused to use "set" or special enhancements, using only SOs.  I couldn't even take my character into the arena to spar with my SG mates, he was so gimped.

The one thing I LOVED about CoH for the first few years is there was NO crafting.  Crafting is an intentional time sink which takes time away from gaming so the characters can't level up too fast.  It had NO place in CoH.

-Pat/@Power Play

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
I'd return in a microsecond and would be fat, dumb, & happy playing I23 Maint. mode (actually I would rather I24. Played on Beta the last couple of months the game was live.)  I'm an avid soloer, so, if I were the only player on a given map, would not make any difference to me.  So much PVE stuff to do.  So much I haven't done!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:50:26 AM by Styrj »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2016, 06:37:55 PM »
One word: tears.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2016, 09:06:51 PM »
One word: tears.

No doubt. That first level up and heading to Ms Liberty would be something special.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 04:37:37 PM »
I wouldn't go near it as long as it still had crafted "sets" of enhancements and the incarnate system.  Those two things ruined the game.  The devs said no one HAD to use them, but a character was massively underpowered compared to others of their level if they didn't include them.  I refused to use "set" or special enhancements, using only SOs.  I couldn't even take my character into the arena to spar with my SG mates, he was so gimped.

The one thing I LOVED about CoH for the first few years is there was NO crafting.  Crafting is an intentional time sink which takes time away from gaming so the characters can't level up too fast.  It had NO place in CoH.

-Pat/@Power Play

Unless you did a lot of PVP I don't see why it mattered what other people did with their heroes as far as crafting or incarnates. I stayed away from PVP completely. I only did maybe one or two raids with my SG and that was it. Plenty of PVE stuff to do without worrying about how overpowered everyone else was compared to me. In PVE - the stronger other players were on the team, the better for all of us.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 03:46:14 AM »
I would be sad.
That I had to go to work the next day, booyah, baby.

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 10:49:58 PM »
I would be all over it.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 07:04:02 AM »
I honestly anticipate that even if we did get it back, they'd likely already purged all our characters and everything.

That said if, for whatever reason they brought it back in eternal maintenance mode, and we had to start from scratch?

It's a no-brainer. I'd happily level up my namesake (and all my alts, as allowed) from the ground up, all over again.

I'd even still pay a subscription to do that... even if there were no further development. There were so many things I liked about the way it was that I have yet to recapture in any other game, that I'm sure I'd still love it, warts and all.

I know this because I still hop on Paragon Chat to explore and find solace in, when there are so many other games out there... and Paragon Chat  obviously doesn't have all the features the original did...

Lyc~

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2016, 07:23:53 AM »
If CoH came back I'd want ALL of it back, not just the leftover scraps. A full dev studio, regular issues and updates, new zones and stories, the whole shebang.
Anything less would be a desecration of the brilliance and love the devs put into it originally.

*ahem*... IMHO
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 09:56:31 PM »
I dont care for even a second if my old characters are gone. I would remake them and start from the beginning happily. Start every element the game has to offer from level one.

I would, without hesitation, take at least a week off work to play, and probably forget to feed myself unless my fiancee intervenes.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

solari

• Underling
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 01:15:57 AM »
I have actually mailed NCSoft begging for a resurrection in the past, giving AC2 and EQ as examples of a revival, despite the potential embarassment.

I would pay a king's ransom to play CoH as it was now. None of their other franchises interest me. I don't think many CoH players went to other NCSoft games. I tried a few and hated the grind.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 02:42:26 AM by solari »

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 01:56:21 PM »
I have actually mailed NCSoft begging for a resurrection in the past, giving AC2 and EQ as examples of a revival, despite the potential embarassment.

I would pay a king's ransom to play CoH as it was now. None of their other franchises interest me. I don't think many CoH players went to other NCSoft games. I tried a few and hated the grind.

I tried to play another NCSoft game or two after CoH went dark, but I just couldn't do it. None of them gripped me the way City of Heroes did, and they all seemed so bland and cookie-cuttery to me. Same ol', same ol'. I wasn't an MMO player, or really much of a gamer at all; I was a City of Heroes player. Aeon, I didn't make it past level 5. Wildstar didn't interest me at all. Boobs and Swords... well... I think you can tell how I feel about that one. They all lacked the heart, energy, vibrancy, and originality that City of Heroes had.

I've also penned a couple of letters to NCSoft, but never got the courage to send them out. It's awesome that you did.

I've played a couple others, chiefly Final Fantasy XIV and The Secret World, but I would drop those in a heartbeat if it meant returning to CoH.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Byakuya523

• Underling
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2017, 01:50:53 AM »
I would be ready to put in long hours of game play again if COH returned. I've played the other two superhero MMO's but either has that COH feeling. The story arches, customization, powers, and community is what made COH fun to play for me.
Nahar 50 Energy/Energy Blaster
DraconicSins 50 Fire/Fire Tank
Chaotic Princess 50 Robotics/Thermal Radiation MM
Kugari 50 Titan Weapon/Super Reflex Brute

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 06:40:59 AM »
Long hours of play.

Admittedly, the community is key.

Not a tech guy, but I am guessing the graphics are not the only thing that would be dated.
Code rot.

While I was very happy with the character creator, my understanding was that adding any
new bits was becoming unimaginably work intensive.

PvP was broken in the eyes of many, although at the end (last 3 years) I dipped my toe in it
was developing a taste.

I'd enjoy seeing it return, but I have kinda moved on to console gaming. No other MMO scratched the CoX itch for me.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"