Author Topic: State of the Game?  (Read 3317 times)

princezilla

• Boss
State of the Game?
« on: July 07, 2016, 02:34:22 AM »
I gave CO a few tries over the the years, particularly right after the shutdown, but aside from the amazing character creator the overall impression of the game I got was..... well lame. When I played I found that the setting was alright but the stories were very cheesy, there was zero endgame content and the NPCs ranged in quality from 'meh' to Jar Jar Binks. My most recent go at the game was really marred by the key based micro transaction system that seemed to have completely invaded every aspect of it. However its been about two years since I gave it a try and a lot can change for an MMO in that time so I'm wondering what the game is like now and what do those of you who play it enjoy about its current incarnation?

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: State of the Game?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 01:35:13 PM »
CO is as Mutha Effing awesome as ever.

Minus some needless nerfs and fumbling with its core by .... whoever is currently steering the ship. CO with a team that has love for the game and a vision for its future and the means to make that dream happen is all this game needs to move it forward.

I LUV THIS GAME....!

I was on last night and joy and love exuded from my every pore.

Ymmv.

It was good to see some familiar @'s last night, too. I teamed with the first person I ever teased (or addressed, period..) in Zone last night and I was glad to see them.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 09:21:28 PM »
As Xev said "Your mileage may vary".  I don't particularly care for the new skinner box grinds they've been focusing on the last few months, and haven't played the game in a long time.  Much of it though is due to my distrust/dislike of everything to a point it went past a point of no return for me.

Overall, there hasn't been much that has changed.  They nerfed and then released more powerful vehicles, but keep going half down pay to win with the lock boxes, had locked powers behind lockboxes(yes, they did that) and price hiked some things.  They are apparently improving the costume system but, at this point that isn't going to get me back into it.

They also keep nerfing powers endlessly to pander to the stop having fun/try hard/scrub types who dislike people using anything popular.  Often at the expense of variety in gameplay and crowd control/buffs/debuffs continue to be neglected in favor of trinity gameplay which defeats the whole point of freeform and general choices.  Lastly they are changing powers to make freeform a meaningless factor.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:39:44 PM »

They also keep nerfing powers endlessly to pander to the stop having fun/try hard/scrub types who dislike people using anything popular.

I said that stuff about a team? Really, all CO needs is people (whoever's steering, I don't care) to stop screwing it up.

CO is so freaking awesome all by itself that as long as you don't (keep) screw(ing) up what a wonder of gifted creation it is..... people will play it. And they will maintain friendships and run Costume Contests and run the same Alurts over and over and over and over and etc and so on.

(Whoever is always) Changing the game in a negative way is what hurts CO the most. Not the nothing-ever-changeyness, nothing-to-do`ness, poor community...................... (PFFT!), not anything else.

I would still be posting here daily if the negative changes didn't finally get under My skin.

CO is still a great backup game, for me. I'm glad it's still around and will continue to root for it and the people who live there.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 11:17:41 PM »
So in other words the game's potential continues to be squandered by horrible mismanagement and that doesn't seem likely to change.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 11:54:33 PM »
I dunno. All I know is I was having fun, lots, for a long time... and then I wasn't   : )

They had me immersed. That's not an easy trick. It's a great game. I still highly enjoy playing it and would be crushed to see it go.

They just have me shy on *investing* myself in it again, for awhile, at least. Every time I say things like this I think of the Real CO players. The ones who were running Costume Contests and making and helping newbs and (Tradeskilling and) running Alurts (I guess those weren't soo long before my time) long before I started playing, and, are still there keeping the game alive.

CO is what you make it. Some people make it home and have done so for quite awhile.

Some Faves:

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 12:03:57 AM »
I just never found that it had anywhere near the community CoX had and honestly the setting was just so cheesy never seemed to change or progress at all so I had a hard time immersing. The world never felt alive like CoX did which was a shame because the options for customization of both appearance and powers were just amazing. I was really hoping that in the time I had been away someone had finally brought some real passion to its development but it sounds like the opposite happened.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 12:06:00 AM »
If you didn't like cheeseburgers yesterday... most likely, you won't tomorrow.

CO is still CO at its core core.
Some Faves:

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 12:22:21 AM »
I liked CO at its core, I just felt like next to no effort or passion went in to anything /other/ then the core.

The patty was great but the buns were stale and the cheese smelled funny.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 01:58:14 AM »
The only way you'll know if you'll like it now is to give it a try.  :)

I do enjoy the game for what it is-- the character creator is absolutely top notch and although what they did with auras at first left me dubious I have to admit that now I think it's awesome. I also like the COX channel as it's given me a chance to make friends with some great people.

It's not COX. It will never be COX. Sadly, much of its own potential has been strangled by Cryptic's resource allocations, but it is a game that I enjoy. When I no longer enjoy it, I'll consider playing something else more often. (Star Trek Online has varying moments of fun depending on how you feel about large amounts of ship combat.)

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 11:50:25 PM »
(Star Trek Online has varying moments of fun depending on how you feel about large amounts of ship combat.)

Woot! Not to derail the topic but that's cool you're playing STO. I bounce out of STO into CO sometimes when Rampagers is looking for more in a PQ - it's great to be able to check CO channels from STO.

I do All ship combat. No ground combat. No mishes. Thing is, STO has a way of distracting me with pushing all kinds of buttons (R&D button is flashing! Rep button flashing! Gotta go hit up the Fleet Research Lab for that daily R&D mish.. Oh yeah, better contribute some to the Fleet today, too. Wait, I got mail!) until my game time is over...

We need to get ATyger to 40 and get some more people that like the game so we can knock out some TA's, F & I's,  and whatnot.. when the mood strikes. Is a recurring fantasy I have.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 06:24:19 AM »
Here's the State of the Game, Baby!

~~~

I want to frame this....

It gives me that pore exuding feeling from above...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:09:54 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 07:29:14 PM »
Just a brief STO thing..

Kaos, if you wanted you could skip Space or Ground combat completely.

It helps to be in a big Fleet, too. The thing with Fleets, as far as I can tell with my limited experience with them, is if you are in a low level Fleet - that is good because I think it's way easier to get Fleet Credits as the Fleet levels its various assets. (So a newb Fleet is good for newb toons?) I'm in a Fleet where everything seems to be about maxed out and it seems expensive to get Fleet Credits as compared to how it was in my brief time in a low level Fleet. But. There is plenty to do at the various Fleet assets in a high level Fleet - places like the Fleet Starbase, Spire, Dilithium Mines, etc. There's above average shopping, highly rewarding mishes that don't require any combat (Duty Officer, R&D..), all the conveniences like access to the Exchange, mail..

How I leveled Xev, was, I did PWE queues for Rep and XP and *some* highish end newbish loot - this is what I did/do the most of as far as combat goes. Then comes Patrol mishes (there are Ground Or Space ones), and those random Alerts, which, I think are the only thing I used to do (I very rarely run them anymore) that is all Space (I think there are no random Red Alert ground queues?)... When I wasn't doing that I was running around doing Fleet stuff, R&D stuff, Duty Officer stuff, selling and buying stuff....

This is one thing I really like about STO. It's kinda open ended. It can be played to endgame more than one way, and, in very different ways. You're kinda left to figure out how You want to get there. Its Build system is pretty strong, too. Meaning, I can (hope to..!) make fairly sophisticated and varied Builds.

Some Faves: