Author Topic: Vote for the best MMO of all time: let's keep CoX on top!  (Read 9723 times)

princezilla

• Boss
Vote for the best MMO of all time: let's keep CoX on top!
« on: July 07, 2016, 09:30:46 PM »
http://www.ranker.com/list/all-mmorpgs-list/reference?format=GRID&action=tab&type=comment

This was first brought up in the New Efforts thread but I think it might warrant it's own topic.

Right now the three CoX games make up three of the top four slots with WoW sitting at number two. Currently Going Rogue has an absolutely dominating lead with its 93% positive rating to WoW's 62%. It is also the only expansion on the list to be ranked higher then it's base game. This isn't exactly uncommon as CoX shows up every couple months in an article from one site or another it's still significant and signal boosting it can only help.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:31:09 PM by princezilla »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: MMO Rankings
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:51:28 PM »
Aye, it was spread all over facebook to the city of heroes pages.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Balince

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 02:52:32 AM »
http://www.ranker.com/list/all-mmorpgs-list/reference?format=GRID&action=tab&type=comment

This was first brought up in the New Efforts thread but I think it might warrant it's own topic.

Right now the three CoX games make up three of the top four slots with WoW sitting at number two. Currently Going Rogue has an absolutely dominating lead with its 93% positive rating to WoW's 62%. It is also the only expansion on the list to be ranked higher then it's base game. This isn't exactly uncommon as CoX shows up every couple months in an article from one site or another it's still significant and signal boosting it can only help.
Do you think it matters in negotiations? I doubt it.

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 03:24:02 AM »

Probably not but its always nice to remind people that this is still one of the most highly regarded MMOs ever produced.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 06:02:25 PM »
It's important because it keeps our story alive and, I hope, continues to undermine NCSoft in the minds of current and future gamers.

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 10:30:15 PM »
It's important because it keeps our story alive and, I hope, continues to undermine NCSoft in the minds of current and future gamers.

I think it is nice to see, but the chances that it makes any difference whatsoever to any other game company, or for that matter, anyone not already a big fan of CoH, are almost non-existent.  Polls like this probably carried a little bit of wait in the immediate aftermath of the shutdown, but at this point I doubt it even registers at all.

I've really never understood the desire to paint NCSoft in such a negative light.  Probably not a bad idea to remind people of their bad habit of cancelling games.  I've never really felt that any of their cancellations were done with an eye to screw people.  They were just a corporation doing things by line items.  It sucked, because I got screwed on Dungeon Runners, Tabula Rasa and CoH, all of which I enjoyed quite a bit.  None of them stung quite as much as losing CoH of course.  Maybe it is a side effect of working for a large software corporation.  I can't tell you how many times in the past 2 decades that my well-reasoned recommendations have been ignored, purely from a budgetary standpoint, with no view to long term benefits.  A lot of companies are interested in what makes them money NOW, or saves them money NOW.  Pretty much, they don't look past the next quarter.

I just don't think large companies are the equivalent of Cobra.  They don't have some guy steepling his fingers while he plots for the best way to dash the hopes of their customers.  :) 

Luckily there ARE still people who are pushing for the game to come back.  I know I eagerly look forward to the day that I see CoH is coming back.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 11:48:35 PM »
I would tend to agree that there is seldom, if ever, a "personal" side to a company like NCSoft cancelling a game (like CoH), and that it is more of a budgetary move.  However, in retrospect, is seems more like a budgetary decision made to improve their bottom line in more of a short-term, rather than a long term way.  In fact, I would say that there are many governments, and large business that suffer from similar shortsightedness, but that is a another thread altogether.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 04:16:25 AM »

Probably not, but thsi keeps CoH alive in the minds of the players that loved it and in the minds of those players that want it back and it spreads the story of the game.

If by chance this also helps make NCsoft realize they were stupid to kill the game, so much the better
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 07:31:25 AM »
It also tell developers who are making new games the kind of things that players enjoy which while not directly helping return CoH could lead to new games in the future incorporating some of the things we loved about it.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 02:15:46 PM »
If other developers notice it at all, they'll probably notice the wrong thing.  I expect they'll see "superheroes", and stop there.  They'll ignore CoH's lack of gear, they'll ignore the fantastic teaming system, they'll ignore the huge variety of builds, they'll ignore the huge variety of character concepts, they'll definitely ignore how flat-out broken we could make our characters, and so on and so forth.  Instead, they'd probably just slap superheroes into a bog-standard WoW clone and call it a day.

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 04:23:04 PM »
If other developers notice it at all, they'll probably notice the wrong thing.  I expect they'll see "superheroes", and stop there.  They'll ignore CoH's lack of gear, they'll ignore the fantastic teaming system, they'll ignore the huge variety of builds, they'll ignore the huge variety of character concepts, they'll definitely ignore how flat-out broken we could make our characters, and so on and so forth.  Instead, they'd probably just slap superheroes into a bog-standard WoW clone and call it a day.

I would hope if other developers are taking the time to look at this poll, they will do more research than look at the cover of the game and see "superheroes".

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 07:51:15 PM »
I would hope if other developers are taking the time to look at this poll, they will do more research than look at the cover of the game and see "superheroes".

Particularly given the state of certain other superhero games in the genre :p

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 09:19:38 PM »
Strange, the whole list just got massively reordered without a great deal of actual vote changes

Edit: Ah, it seems that reranks have a disproportionate weight in the scale, meaning that if someone tanks the time to use their the rerank function to make their own full list and put a game on the bottom you can effectively sandbag it if only very few people do it. It looks like only 12 people have done reranks and that they are really trying to knock Going Rogue off the top. I suggest everyone here do a full reranking if we want to stay on top.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:36:57 PM by princezilla »

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »

In negotiations, no. But just the fact that a franchise dead for several years is getting higher rankings than World of 800-lb Gorillaquest has to be some kind of message to video game manufacturers, to take a 2nd look at CoH and why it has engendered such a loyal fanbase.

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 09:12:16 PM »
In negotiations, no. But just the fact that a franchise dead for several years is getting higher rankings than World of 800-lb Gorillaquest has to be some kind of message to video game manufacturers, to take a 2nd look at CoH and why it has engendered such a loyal fanbase.

I wonder though, how important is that really?  I mean, prior to this post, I don't know that I had ever HEARD of Ranker.com.  Are they a known enough quantity that a popularity poll really has any weight?  They appear to be a generalist ranking site.  Is their ranking really relevant with regards to an MMO?  I don't generally think too highly of internet polls as any real measure, since we all know how these polls can be gamed.  Heck, we essentially are gaming this very poll right here.

Honestly just curious.  Like I said, I know nothing about this site, other than the little I just read on their About Us page.  :)

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 10:05:03 PM »
That's correct, but on the other hand, is there reason to think that this is NOT a representative site, and that if you went to some site that is better known and ran the same poll, CoH would not score high? It may not be a big sign, but just the fact that it's showing CoH as rating higher than WoW, on a site that's not specifically affiliated with the superhero genre, implies that CoH would rate highly on many different gaming sites, and for a game that's 3 years in the grave going against the champion, that's seriously impressive.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 03:03:11 PM »
I wonder though, how important is that really?  I mean, prior to this post, I don't know that I had ever HEARD of Ranker.com.  Are they a known enough quantity that a popularity poll really has any weight?  They appear to be a generalist ranking site.  Is their ranking really relevant with regards to an MMO?  I don't generally think too highly of internet polls as any real measure, since we all know how these polls can be gamed.  Heck, we essentially are gaming this very poll right here. 

We at least know that it's been seen by a number of people on FB, which is how we got COH pushed up from 22nd place to 1st.  If anyone else is watching this site, that should show that the members of a MMO shut down 4 years ago are still passionate about their game, and that could, as has been said, lead to taking another look at what it was about COH that made it so immensely popular.

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 11:51:47 PM »
That's correct, but on the other hand, is there reason to think that this is NOT a representative site, and that if you went to some site that is better known and ran the same poll, CoH would not score high? It may not be a big sign, but just the fact that it's showing CoH as rating higher than WoW, on a site that's not specifically affiliated with the superhero genre, implies that CoH would rate highly on many different gaming sites, and for a game that's 3 years in the grave going against the champion, that's seriously impressive.

I don't generally think that you wouldn't get similar results on some other site.  I was more thinking about the prestige of the site itself.  The reason being, regardless of the level of support shown, if people in the actual industry, don't use that that site, or consider them a somewhat authoritative source, then those same industry people that might be interested in supporting a CoH rebirth, are unlikely to even see the poll in the first place.

Like I said, I know nothing about that site other than what shows up on their About Us page.  I don't think of myself as any kind of authority, but I do spend a good amount of time on gaming type sites, and I don't recall ever really hearing of them.  Not that no one references them, just that I don't recall them.  Looking at their about s page, they do appear to be referenced by a lot of large companies, but I didn't see much that was directly related to MMOs.

I just think that we are a somewhat isolated group.  I mean, we tend to look for references to the game.  That means that no matter how obscure the location, we are likely to find references to the game.  Possible investors etc, aren't quite as likely to see something like this poll and even realize what they are seeing, or that it is indicating a "thriving" community.  You know what I mean?

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 02:53:30 PM »
Still, World of Warcraft denizens must be chewing their nails over the results....

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 07:09:48 AM »
WoW is looming uncomfortably close again.

Btw, Princezilla, I recommend re-titling the thread something like "Cast your vote for CoH as the #1 MMO." It'll attract more attention that way.