Author Topic: Flash Season 3  (Read 63873 times)

Mandu

• Elite Boss
Re: Flash Season 3
« Reply #300 on: May 21, 2017, 05:25:06 AM »
So i'm trying to figure out how the remnant barry from an alternate timeline is affected by changes this barry goes through in a timeline where they neither created the remnant nor were mean to him. When Barry changed the timeline in flashpoint he didn't automatically get the memories of all the stuff that happened in his changed life. /summon mandu

Actually I don't think this one is going to need left field thinking.  Emo Barry didn't defeat Savitar until Traci came up with the speed bazooka after Iris was killed.  So I'm thinking the multiple time remnants attempt was made sometime after her death.  Once Iris died Barry didn't immediately hide away.  Instead his new purpose became to defeat Savitar so he tried multiple stuff including doing a Jaimie Madrox imitation.  It was only after he won and Savitar was locked away that he became the emo recluse.

Here is my left field bit though since this problem will probably never be addressed in the show.  I don't think the Savitar suit gives him any extra speed.  Barry continues to get faster all the time anyway so spending a few more years speeding around plus a long time trapped in the speed force would probably have boosted him up to the level he was at.  My theory is that the purpose of the Savitar suit is to block him from giving off the speed force radiation that alerts the speed wraiths and the Black Flash who should both be after him because that is actually the biggest hole in the plot.  Since speedsters who time travel enough wind up immune to the time alterations then erasing the events that created Savitar wouldn't necessarily erase him but it should send Black Flash after him.  And the wraiths would already be after him for being a remnant who keeps speeding around.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #301 on: May 21, 2017, 06:09:12 AM »
Actually I don't think this one is going to need left field thinking.  Emo Barry didn't defeat Savitar until Traci came up with the speed bazooka after Iris was killed.  So I'm thinking the multiple time remnants attempt was made sometime after her death.  Once Iris died Barry didn't immediately hide away.  Instead his new purpose became to defeat Savitar so he tried multiple stuff including doing a Jaimie Madrox imitation.  It was only after he won and Savitar was locked away that he became the emo recluse.

I don't buy it. If you're going to have time travelers be immune from timeline changes, fine, but you can't have them immune and not immune in the same story, or only have the immunity apply to their existence.

Your wraith point is fair enough though.

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #302 on: May 21, 2017, 03:19:06 PM »
The wraith part makes sense because I'm applying logic to a topic they haven't touched on.  But the more they address something the more convoluted and irrational it becomes so it's harder to explain away.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #303 on: May 21, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »
I don't buy it. If you're going to have time travelers be immune from timeline changes, fine, but you can't have them immune and not immune in the same story, or only have the immunity apply to their existence.

Your wraith point is fair enough though.

They have conflicting time travel consequences in the same episode. Barry loses his memory, so Savitar loses his, and Wally has no powers because Savitar forgets to give them to him. As stupid as that sounds - then everything that Savitar did should be undone - without memories to go and do it - but everything else is EXACTLY the same, except for Wally's powers.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #304 on: May 21, 2017, 11:00:15 PM »
Well yeah, they do have conflicts, just saying they shouldn't. But like Mandu said, logic can only be applied to things they don't directly address. Their actual plots rarely have anything resembling logic.

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #305 on: May 24, 2017, 06:11:26 AM »
I say Barry will be back at latest by episode 2 of next season ;)
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #306 on: May 24, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Yeah that would've had a bit more impact if they'd not reminded everyone of the newspaper. Also I like that they somehow held a teleporter prisoner.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #307 on: May 24, 2017, 12:47:32 PM »
"The one thing Black Flash can't fight: cold" was almost as bad as "do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning?"

But I'll forgive it because they reversed the polarity on the neutron flow.

I won't forgive the cheap feels ending or any episodes with that Wally as the main character, however.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #308 on: May 24, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »
I liked the foolie they pulled at the beginning when Wells showed up.

But once again they conflict their own time travel rules.

Barry doesn't become dark and brooding, so no Savitar, but Julian says it will take time for the paradox to catch up to him and he vanishes.

Yet when Eddie shot himself and died, Reverse Flash immediately disappeared as he could never have been born. (Not withstanding the fact he showed up like 8 more times after that)

Unless because he was a time remnant it made a difference?

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #309 on: May 24, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »
I say Barry will be back at latest by episode 2 of next season ;)
Back on screen, I agree.
Back on Earth might be a while longer.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #310 on: May 24, 2017, 01:25:36 PM »
Hopefully he won't escape by punching reality hard enough to break it.

e-
You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #311 on: May 24, 2017, 03:10:20 PM »
Hopefully he won't escape by punching reality hard enough to break it.

e-

I love the paraphrase line someone had once from "The Kingdom" miniseries explaining Hypertime: "We are all punches, waiting to be thrown."

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #312 on: May 24, 2017, 03:55:44 PM »
So what I'm reading is that this is The Butterfly Effect with the Flash as Ashton Kutcher?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #313 on: May 24, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »
Except the viewer is the one who wants to go back and hang themself in the womb.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #314 on: May 24, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »
Except the viewer is the one who wants to go back and hang themself in the womb.

That's not your natural reaction to seeing Ashton Kutcher?
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #315 on: May 24, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »
Not sure. I don't think I've seen him in at least a decade. But it is my natural reaction to most of the shows we discuss on here.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #316 on: May 25, 2017, 08:58:24 PM »
Not sure. I don't think I've seen him in at least a decade. But it is my natural reaction to most of the shows we discuss on here.

Somehow, this reminds me of Jay Sherman's signature line in reviewing almost any movie, on The Critic: "It stinks!" So, why keep watching them?
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #317 on: May 25, 2017, 10:41:59 PM »
Somehow, this reminds me of Jay Sherman's signature line in reviewing almost any movie, on The Critic: "It stinks!" So, why keep watching them?
Compulsion

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #318 on: May 26, 2017, 06:02:39 AM »
Or because what other choices do you have?

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #319 on: May 26, 2017, 11:29:40 AM »
I liked the foolie they pulled at the beginning when Wells showed up.

But once again they conflict their own time travel rules.

Barry doesn't become dark and brooding, so no Savitar, but Julian says it will take time for the paradox to catch up to him and he vanishes.

Yet when Eddie shot himself and died, Reverse Flash immediately disappeared as he could never have been born. (Not withstanding the fact he showed up like 8 more times after that)

Unless because he was a time remnant it made a difference?

My explanation for the instant reaction when Eddie shot himself is that there was a wormhole open to Thawnes time right in the corridor with them.  So the effect was able to propagate instantly.