Author Topic: Favorite NPCs!  (Read 5655 times)

princezilla

• Boss
Favorite NPCs!
« on: July 14, 2016, 01:01:17 AM »
So, everyone loves their own characters, that goes without saying, but we also loved the game characters who made up the world. They were a big part of what separated CoX from other inferior games in the same genre. Thus I ask who do you miss the most? Who do you think had the best story? It can be anyone from a contact, to a signature hero/villain, to a recurring or even one off minor character.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
Re: Favorite NPCs!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 01:39:28 AM »
I was a big fan of Agent Six.  I made her part of my main character's backstory and included her in a couple of Architect missions.  The fact that there was only a little information on her worked rather well since it left me with a lot of room to come up with my own story for her.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 02:01:10 PM »
I was a big fan of Agent Six.  I made her part of my main character's backstory and included her in a couple of Architect missions.  The fact that there was only a little information on her worked rather well since it left me with a lot of room to come up with my own story for her.

I loved Ms. Liberty. She would just stand there and do nothing during invasions right in front of her.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 06:18:25 PM »
I was a big fan of Dean MacArthur.  I really enjoyed his dialog with my female villains.

Plus, he did show up during the battle with Mot so he wasn't just talk.

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 06:56:30 PM »
I had two that I always seemed to go to, one was a magic shop vendor in Talos (I did lots of magic characters early on), and the other was a specific Icon employee in Steel Canyon I always did my costume changes at. Out of habit I always went to these two, so they stand out to me.

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 08:38:58 PM »
David Wincott in the hollows.  He reminds me of the good ol' days where you would team up with other lowbies where the greatest challenge was having to run clear across the map, dying1-2 times each, just in an attempt to even make it to the mission map! Such a challenge, but so fun and comical. 

Frostfire - And since we're on the subject of mischief in the Hollows, I loved taking down the legendary Frostfire! Always a good time

Detective Freitag - Going to Kings Row knowing that soon enough I'd be earning that much revered Raptor Pack, which was exceptionally useful for the aforementioned.   :P

Serge - I'm sure we all spent countless hours spent with Serge while creating new costumes in Steel Canyon icon.

Fusionette- She was like everyone's naive little sister who was in constant need of rescue...

Faultline - and since we were rescuing fusionette so much, we all go quite acquainted with her boyfriend Faultline, too.

Jonathan St. John Smythe - Since 99% of my characters were all science origin, I spent a lot of time getting to know him.  Plus he was my ticket to gaining access to aura's for my costumes!

City Representative - The first person I would visit once I hit levels 20 and 30 to unlock capes and auras!

Justin Greene - I enjoyed the story behind this contact, and I always loved taking my characters through his missions in Independence Port. 

Newsie - You could catch Newsie saying the funniest of things from time to time. 

Ms. Liberty - One of my all time favorites to visit, of course, because each time I saw her I was gaining new levels and powers!

Maria Jenkins - Because I knew once I made it to her, I was on my way to defeating the Praetorians for my accolades.

And last but certainly not least, the citizens of Peregrine Island in general.  Of all the patrons of Paragon City and the Rogue Isles, I found that the funniest things imaginable were always professed by the patrons of Perigrine Island.  Anyone else pick up on this as well?

Okay I'll stop there, although I could go on for days.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 12:03:41 AM »
City Representative - The first person I would visit once I hit levels 20 and 30 to unlock capes and auras!
I still wish they'd changed her name or modified her info text to make her name official.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 01:21:13 PM »
I still wish they'd changed her name or modified her info text to make her name official.

I didn't even know that much, great article thanks for sharing!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 03:23:51 PM »
Westin Phipps, 'cause book punching never gets old.

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 09:08:19 PM »
I really liked Faultline, Fusionette, and Penelope Yin, they were very dynamic characters and I loved that we kept seeing them pop up in different places as they progressed their own stories as we did ours. It really made the game world feel connected and alive.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 04:46:00 AM »
Synapse is my favorite because he's the only signature hero that have Super Speed and I love the aura effect when he runs. He's like the City of Heroes version of The Flash.

Mynx because I like cats. [Don't Judge Me]

Blue Steel I was so curious what was his powers when I first met him standing in front of the Police Department holding a shield. I thought it was cool to see a captain of the PPD a hero. When Issue 22 came out along with the Incarnate story arcs I finally got to witness his powers!

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 06:36:42 PM »
Coyote.  Because it was my brother's character. 

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 08:05:13 PM »
I liked the Red Caps, as far as missions went. The outside maps were always different from the usual stuff - but even better was the dialogue. Or, maybe I should say dialect.

It wasn't what they said, it was the peculiar speech, it just seemed so funny to me.

As for character - Desdemona from the UGT is too cool for words. And a distant second is Augustus Romulus of the ITF.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2016, 09:41:08 PM »
Red-side:  Mender Tesseract who had the most entertaining TF/SF in the entire game, and Doc Buzzsaw who had the most entertaining arc.
Blue-side: I'm split between *hoorb* the lovable Dillo and Mr. Yin.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 08:22:44 AM »
I liked Dillow. Enthusiastic fellow, him.

But I have to say one of my favorites was Ohmtown (had to look it up) from the Diviner Maros arc. For whatever reason I like the Freakshow, and the way he was written made him a great ally and friend in that arc, particularly for the two Freakshow characters I made. He was friendly and genuinely wanted to help the characters, which for a villain was a breath of fresh air... honor among thieves and all that ;)

Lyc~

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 11:53:38 PM »
Hooooorb! Enthusiastic airnoises in favor of Dillo!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 02:31:31 AM »
Great entries so far, now it's my turn.

I like Kalinda so much, I modelled Kolissa after her.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 04:00:33 AM »
The Dark Watcher.  It's all about the mystery.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 06:52:42 PM »
I do love the Dillo. *Horb*

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 09:19:38 PM »
I was a big fan of the Clockwork King. For the most part, he wasn't so much outright evil as insane and unbalanced. Before the Positron TF revamp, his Clockwork had only ever killed one person and was probably an accident. The revamped Posi TF had CK killing one of the COT or Vahzilok in an attempt to protect Faultline (and Penny Yin) from destruction.

A lot of the COX villains didn't start out with the intention of becoming villains so I felt a ceratin amount of sympathy for them. Clockwork King. Vanessa Devore (who gave herself over to to the mask in order to help fight off the first Rikti invasion) and Frostfire (who went to prison for accidentally killing a civilian in an attempt to thwart a robbery).

The Frostfire thing is particularly interesting to me in light of a later mission given out by Crimson or Indigo (I forget which) where you thwart a Malta attempt to frame an up and coming young hero. They were going to kill some Skulls and make it look like he did it. As a more experienced hero, you showed up before the new guy to stomp Malta and the poor little level 16 Skulls.  :)

That particular mission made me wonder if Frostfire had been victim of a similar frameup.