Author Topic: Wild Cards - finally - yes yes yes yes!!!  (Read 2649 times)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Wild Cards - finally - yes yes yes yes!!!
« on: August 08, 2016, 10:46:19 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/george-rr-martin-has-another-tv-show-in-the-works/ar-BBvlCu1

Been wondering if they would get to this. One of the best original Super Hero series. I read just about every book.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Wild Cards - finally - yes yes yes yes!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 02:27:08 AM »
One day I will have to try and familiarize myself with this Wild Cards thing that I frequently hear about.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 03:58:08 AM »
Personally I am strongly amused by the new covers.  Tiny letters: "edited by".  Letters taking up the top third of the book: "George R.R. Martin".  And no mention anywhere on the cover of the ten or so other writers in each book.

I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 06:24:42 AM »
I'm all about the digital books these days.  There seem to be at least 5 volumes available for Kindle.  I may check them out when I'm done with this Long Earth series.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 11:34:49 PM »
Personally I am strongly amused by the new covers.  Tiny letters: "edited by".  Letters taking up the top third of the book: "George R.R. Martin".  And no mention anywhere on the cover of the ten or so other writers in each book.

I remember those stories from way back. I'm curious if, when old anthologies go to the screen, do the original authors get recognition or income from it?

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 01:51:37 AM »
I remember those stories from way back. I'm curious if, when old anthologies go to the screen, do the original authors get recognition or income from it?

I would hope so. Guess it depends on the deal that is made with the publishing company.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 11:37:51 AM »
I would hope so. Guess it depends on the deal that is made with the publishing company.

Nope.  The publishing company, unless they specifically got movie/TV rights in the anthology contracts (unlikely) have nothing to do with it.

Whatever happens will depend entirely on the agreement the authors and Martin made with each other.  For instance, the contract I worked out with my SWC buddies gave each of us certain shares depending on how early we had come into the anthology and giving me an extra share as editor.  We bought Steve Libbey out when he was unable to continue, so should we sell media rights, we already have a method of dividing whatever we get up that was all pre-agreed to. 

Whether or not Martin and his co-writers have that in place, I do not know, but I hope they were all smart enough to.  Nothing sours a deal faster than an in-fight.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
Nope.  The publishing company, unless they specifically got movie/TV rights in the anthology contracts (unlikely) have nothing to do with it.

Whatever happens will depend entirely on the agreement the authors and Martin made with each other.  For instance, the contract I worked out with my SWC buddies gave each of us certain shares depending on how early we had come into the anthology and giving me an extra share as editor.  We bought Steve Libbey out when he was unable to continue, so should we sell media rights, we already have a method of dividing whatever we get up that was all pre-agreed to. 

Whether or not Martin and his co-writers have that in place, I do not know, but I hope they were all smart enough to.  Nothing sours a deal faster than an in-fight.

I remember reading that the cast of Gilligan's Island signed a deal for royalties on a limited number of repeats. So after a few years of reruns they stopped getting paid even though the show has been in constant reruns for like 40 years.

I hope that the authors of these stories do get something from this TV series as compensation or royalties on characters used.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »
For instance, the contract I worked out with my SWC buddies gave each of us certain shares depending on how early we had come into the anthology and giving me an extra share as editor.  We bought Steve Libbey out when he was unable to continue, so should we sell media rights, we already have a method of dividing whatever we get up that was all pre-agreed to. 

As an aside, I've read your Secret World Chronicle books, and enjoyed them. It did remind me of CoH quite a bit -- I had a character in a soviet themed supergroup for a while.

I did read Wildcards way back, and don't remember a great deal about it, though the Turtle and the Astronomer both stick in my mind.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 02:46:34 AM »
As an aside, I've read your Secret World Chronicle books, and enjoyed them. It did remind me of CoH quite a bit -- I had a character in a soviet themed supergroup for a while.

I did read Wildcards way back, and don't remember a great deal about it, though the Turtle and the Astronomer both stick in my mind.

I always felt COH reminded me a bit of Wild Cards as well, had a whole history going back decades with aliens and super heroes and villains.