Author Topic: Paragon Chat 1.0.2 loaded, but no characters / costumes?  (Read 3283 times)

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
Paragon Chat 1.0.2 loaded, but no characters / costumes?
« on: August 13, 2016, 10:18:37 PM »
Today I uploaded loaded Paragon Chat 1.0.2, and all my costumes / characters seem to be present in the Costume folder, but when I open Paragon Chat and log in, there are no characters at all on my first screen.  I actually had 2 pages of Alts, but now can't see them.

I tried deleting the Paragon Chat program (after carefully saving my costume folder and screenshots folder on a thumb drive), and then reinstalling using the download link in the ParagonChat 1.0.0 thread.  The version I now have is 1.0.2, but I can't see any characters or costumes, despite the folders being there, with all the files in them. 

I'm running on Windows 10, and up till today, Paragon Chat seemed to be working fine.

Any idea how to get Paragon Chat 1.0.2 to 'see' my characters and costumes again?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Paragon Chat 1.0.2 loaded, but no characters / costumes?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 10:57:09 PM »
A few questions.

1. What version were you running before you updated to 1.0.2?

2. If you click on the gear icon and open the database browser (button near the bottom of the window), what do you see?

I tried deleting the Paragon Chat program (after carefully saving my costume folder and screenshots folder on a thumb drive), and then reinstalling using the download link in the ParagonChat 1.0.0 thread.

I really hope that you didn't do that, or that you backed up the entire thing before deleting it (not just those two subfolders). Your characters are saved under the Database folder, not Costumes or Screenshots...

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 11:51:15 PM »
I was running version 1.0.1 .

When I click on the gear button, I see a number of things.  What specifically am I looking for?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 01:57:30 AM »
The database browser button; it's near the bottom of the options panel. In the window that opens, does it show any accounts at all or is it blank?

The only other thing I can think of that might explain it is if you had a split configuration with the program one place and the data another, but that's something that you would have had to go out of your way to do.

When you use the folder button on the main screen it should open an explorer window. What is the full path (click on the bar to copy/paste it -- you can edit out your username if you want)?

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 05:32:38 PM »
At this point, my BIN folder has 4 .exe files in it, and the PC login window claims it can't find the right path to execute (although when I click on the folder icon at the bottom, it shows the correct location:  AppData -> Roaming -> ParagonChat .

I do have an older version backed up on my portable hard drive, from back in April.  However, that version shows the 4 .exe files:

ParagonChat (1).exe   (with the little mask icon)
ParagonChat (1).exe.old   (icon is just a little page with a top corner folded down)
ParagonChat.exe.old
ParagonChatClient.exe.old

Would be better to just delete what I've got on the main drive (not the backup), and re-install from scratch?

If so, once that's done, what would I need to copy over into the new ParagonChat folders from the old backed up version (on my back-up drive)?

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 07:57:48 PM »
Thanks for all the help with this.  It helped me figure out where to look, and pointed me at the folders  I needed to update and get Paragon Chat working correctly again, with version 1.0.2 !

*Does the Snoopy Dance of Joy!*

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »
Excellent, I was just about to post to rename your existing directory, install fresh, and copy over Database (as well as Screenshots and anything else you want). But when I clicked on the thread I got "Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.", heh. Glad you got it figured out though!

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 03:00:57 PM »
Not as glad as I was.  But my thanks to you, and to others here on the P.C. forums, who've patiently helped me out over time with my Paragon Chat problems.  Kudos to all of you, a constant reminder of the amazing community of COH :D!