Author Topic: Straw Poll: Base item limits  (Read 7882 times)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
Re: Straw Poll: Base item limits
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
Okay, okay, I think we have a landslide. Consider per-room limits and placement limits gone. ;)

I probably will keep the basewide hard cap, but set it at 30,000 to start, just to keep anybody from shooting themselves in the foot too badly. That's a 50% increase from live and should allow expansion of existing bases. Will reevaluate later depending on how stable the editor is (or isn't) with huge bases near the cap.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 02:10:31 AM »
With everyone saying "Off with their heads!" - oops, I mean "Off with the limits!", I hate to be a nay-sayer.

I'd like to see the original limits still in place. You need a power room to put a power generator, a teleport room to put in your teleporters, etc.

Personally, I think you could put enough in to make it slow as heck, but why do that? And, if there's a "memory leak" - why push it to crash the game? And, if one-day we get the game back, it would be nice to have practiced the game with the original limits in place. And let people see what they could build with those limits. Maybe even put in a limit that you can't have both Paragon City and Rogue Islands beacons to be a Hero or Villain base.

Now, this version would should let you just buy anything, even though you haven't earned the badges (you can't earn badges right now), but let people see what they can build. Maybe even keep a record of Prestige spent. This way, you can see what you'd need to build your "ultimate base". For me, it was to get the base functional (a functional teleporter to each zone, functional medical bay, etc.) and then let my friend decorate to his heart's content. Actually, this was sometimes a contention between us - I'd save Prestige to build something in the base, and my friend would see that prestige just sitting there and start decorating like mad and buying decorative rooms. Eventually, we agreed that I would get everything functional, and then he could decorate when I'm done. So we'd end up with everything that we need operationally near the entrance (workroom/teleport/medical) and then he could add whatever else he wanted. It made for a nice base.
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 06:49:19 AM »
With everyone saying "Off with their heads!" - oops, I mean "Off with the limits!", I hate to be a nay-sayer.

I'd like to see the original limits still in place. You need a power room to put a power generator, a teleport room to put in your teleporters, etc.

Personally, I think you could put enough in to make it slow as heck, but why do that? And, if there's a "memory leak" - why push it to crash the game? And, if one-day we get the game back, it would be nice to have practiced the game with the original limits in place. And let people see what they could build with those limits. Maybe even put in a limit that you can't have both Paragon City and Rogue Islands beacons to be a Hero or Villain base.

Now, this version would should let you just buy anything, even though you haven't earned the badges (you can't earn badges right now), but let people see what they can build. Maybe even keep a record of Prestige spent. This way, you can see what you'd need to build your "ultimate base". For me, it was to get the base functional (a functional teleporter to each zone, functional medical bay, etc.) and then let my friend decorate to his heart's content. Actually, this was sometimes a contention between us - I'd save Prestige to build something in the base, and my friend would see that prestige just sitting there and start decorating like mad and buying decorative rooms. Eventually, we agreed that I would get everything functional, and then he could decorate when I'm done. So we'd end up with everything that we need operationally near the entrance (workroom/teleport/medical) and then he could add whatever else he wanted. It made for a nice base.

Over-ruled.  (said the way the judge said it in the movie 'My Cousin Vinny".)

Since we can't earn prestige, there is no point to the limits, because part of the limits were the cost in prestige for the item.
The base "minigame" in Paragon Chat will be a design contest.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 06:50:11 AM »
I downloaded PC just to say no limits

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »
As a base lover, I just have to say "no limits" as long as it doesn't prevent us from building (or later featuring) bases. I actually miss doing that, and if it's a 'thing' I'd rather if I could.

I miss basebuilding in a weird way, and for a lot of reasons. I actually made a demoedit for our SG of the base so that it was always there (just as much for myself as anyone) and having actually lost a player in RL since, it's kind of a 'thing'. I don't mind the stacking desks, and the other tricks to get it to work right... and I might even say I could get a couple of my SG to log into PC if I could tell them they could see their old base again, or even better some variant.

The ONLY reason I'd say stick  to previous limits is if it broke anything that might make it accessible to anyone in the current Paragon Chat (and beyond, if there are any hopes of that) because at the end of the day, Base building is another thing we can share with everyone else. I'd be even happier with no prestige just to unleash our creativity, but if that could be an incentive to get folks "doing" in the City again, I'm okay with that. Some folks need reasons to be here, and that's as good as any!

The most important thing is to keep the City going! Paragon Chat is a great start, and I wish I had more computer savvy to offer more, but if this is a 'thing' I'll gladly make stuff for people to look at if it works more or less the same way as the original editor in some bases!!

That and AE missions... I had some I-1 updated transfers developed that had gotten dropped by the wayside (like the 'Path of the Dark' stuff I connected to some Romulus lore- but I figure that's outside the scope of things currently... *sigh*)

Still...

Lyc~

Mister Hassenpheffer

• Boss
    • 3D printouts?!
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 01:45:01 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkEXGgdqMz8

There's no lemon!

I can see a future where Paragon chat is used to hold insane base related events.

I have one planned that Iv'e been sitting on for quite some time. (since i13)

I live to see this eventuate.