Author Topic: What's with all the hate?!  (Read 4093 times)

adgramaine

• Underling
What's with all the hate?!
« on: September 27, 2016, 09:02:29 PM »
Joke. Mostly.

I love my Chromebook... I truly do. Work online, offline, it is all saved. But nothing else seems to even like the OS! I mean, I just want to get in the character generator....

So, do you think there will be a Chromebook friendly version? If not, why?
Game Designer for Haphazard Projects

Original Tester for the CoX Games

Most Played Character: the Kwipster

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: What's with all the hate?!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 12:50:41 AM »
Let's take it back a step: Chromebook = Linux.  In essence a Chromebook is a hardware optimized Linux computer.

Reposing the question: "So, do you think there will be a Linux friendly version?  If not, why?"

The simplest answer: there is no Linux client for City of Heroes.  And Cedega ran it once upon a time, but it is no longer available for anyone to use, access or see the source code.

If someone can manage to get Paragon Chat running on a Linux machine and reproduce it successfully on more than one system with written instructions on how to do it, then there is a shot.

(Except that Chromebooks and Video Cards don't really mix well... even the NVidia Tegra models are ARM-Based which will NEVER run City of Heroes or other MMOs, since those apps are written for Intel/AMD Processors.)
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
Yeah, we don't actively not target Chromebooks. We target the existing CoH clients, and the platforms they run on. It might work someday, but the priority is on adding features, not porting to alternate platforms.

Manga

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 01:05:08 PM »
You have two separate problems here: 

I have been trying to get Island Rum to launch the Icon and Paragon Chat clients properly in Linux, but it's a struggle.  It doesn't want to work the same way it does on Mac, though they're similar.  The troubles I'm running into are because of the way the graphics drivers work in Linux.  I'm sure there are some people who have solved the problem, but unfortunately the nature of the Linux community is not to share; every person must figure it out for themselves.

The second problem is Chromebooks are often Chromebooks because they lack the horsepower to run Windows 10, which means it also lacks the horsepower to run Icon or Paragon Chat.  Even more so because running it in Linux means an extra translation layer via Wine or whatever.

adgramaine

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 09:32:38 PM »
At least that answers the question.

Now I am off to buy a new desktop!
Game Designer for Haphazard Projects

Original Tester for the CoX Games

Most Played Character: the Kwipster