Author Topic: Hours Played  (Read 3395 times)

Cinnder

• Boss
Hours Played
« on: October 13, 2016, 01:22:34 PM »
Is the number of hours a character has been played (the info we used to get from conversing with a civilian whose name started with 'M') stored in the Sentinel+ data?  If so, how does one extract it?

It's just curiosity, but I'd like to check how much of my life I actually devoted to my two mains.

Thanks.  :)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Hours Played
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 02:21:15 AM »
I looked at XML files saved in Sentinel+ for my toons.  I didn't see any timer or counter in it.  Sorry.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 03:24:10 AM »
I would be afraid to look even if it were to be honest.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 03:59:23 AM »
You can look at the XML file output from Sentinel+.  Just don't try to change the document or save anything (it's checksummed.)
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 05:58:21 AM »
No, I would be afraid to see how many hours I played on some of my characters. That's back when some of my health problems started keeping me largely home bound. I spent a huge amount of time just sitting in game chatting and stuff.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 06:14:50 PM »
Thanks for checking Tahquitz.  Rats, I guess that data is gone forever.

I know what you mean, Castegyre -- I didn't have any illness as an excuse and I'm pretty sure I had spent literally months of my life playing my main by the time the game shut down.

FourSpeed

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 11:09:07 PM »
Well, if a UK survey (2014) of avg hours awake / day is representative, most folks spend about 475 hrs / month awake.

Given that, it's a pretty safe bet that you've (possibly / probably) spent a literal month (or more) worth of waking hours just playing a single character. If you also had altitis, you may have boosted that to a year or more (~5700 hrs) worth of waking hours playing all of your characters  --  particularly if you got into the game relatively early...

And, since we're talking time here, we're also getting fairly close to the 50% line -- ie. the game has been gone for almost 50% of the time (4 yrs this Dec) as it ran for (8 yrs & change from 4/2004 - 12/2012).

For some of us older farts the probability that we'll croak before it returns is becoming much, much more realistic.

...and that cheery news concludes my post here for this year -- If I'm still alive next year, I'll check back to see if TFHM negotiators have awoken from their seemingly uncommunicative comas to make any progress whatsoever on reviving the game.

ttfn,

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 08:56:12 PM »
I suspect I clocked up close to 20K hours on this game, although not totally extreme numbers on any one character (I had like 250)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 12:08:14 AM »
I spent many an hour on City of. at first it was 12 hours every day. Then at one time I spent 18 hours at first doing the good Dr's mission in the Shadow Shard, which feel apart after hour 10.
After, that I needed a break so I cut of Sunday's, then it included Friday's.
Onan average week, I would say any where between 40-50 hours playing.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 12:40:24 PM »
I suspect I clocked up close to 20K hours on this game, although not totally extreme numbers on any one character (I had like 250)

250! I thought I had a lot with like 40. LOL.

I had to stop with the alts after a while, I only had a few 50's and too many in the 30's and 40's. The last year or so of the game I just used my 50's doing all the Incarnate stuff.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 12:12:55 AM »
That's interesting. I wonder how many characters I rolled over the years. I was pretty infamous for constantly rolling alts and then deleting characters for all sorts of reasons, usually because I decided I didn't like the concept after all. I must have made hundreds of characters, but only a few dozen ever made it to 50.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 12:48:54 AM »
I would have sworn there was an hours played thread here from back before the game closed.  I remember looking up some of hours on my oldest characters.

I can't find though.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 09:15:40 AM »
There was one on the CoH page:

https://wayback-beta.archive.org/web/20120905120111/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=295984

I remember checking one of my mains and had 620 hours or something, I was too scared to check my other characters.

Hells Fury

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 06:50:51 AM »
My first character was Hells Fury, a fire-devices blaster.  I played 589 hours with her when I checked once.  I estimated that I played 1800 hours in one year.

I miss it.  I haven't played since 2008 or 2009.