Author Topic:  (Read 24139 times)

Consultant

• Underling
« on: November 27, 2016, 05:09:02 PM »

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »
Um ... I applaud the idea but wouldn't NCSoft just be able to sue you out of existence if you tied yourself into the City of Heroes franchise?

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 08:12:25 PM »
Whatever you do, don't fall into the "repair your gear" trap.

That's the most annoying aspect of many games.

I'd much rather replacement my enhancements as I level up than be continuously running somewhere for a gear repair.

Fireheart

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 08:46:46 PM »
Where does 'ship' come into this?

Be Well!
Fireheart

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 10:04:03 PM »
Where does 'ship' come into this?

Well, there's this from the front page of the site: "Imagine a universe where the City of Heroes defends the Star Trek Federation." Guessing it has something to do with Spaaaaaace!!

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 02:34:11 AM »
Um ... I applaud the idea but wouldn't NCSoft just be able to sue you out of existence if you tied yourself into the City of Heroes franchise?
This is my sentiment as well. It is one thing to mention City of. as lore or something of the like. It is quite different, to use copy righted material. Just from looking at the web site, it is obvious that you ripped a lot from City of. I would recommend that if this new attempt was going to make a successor, change the names of the ats, and the character creator. The only reason I listed these two, is because anyone whoever played City of. will look at these two, and say the same thing as me.
I genially like your idea, however, it should be your idea and not ripped from another game.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Consultant

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 03:12:14 PM »
We appreciate the feedback.  As the game evolves, we can make changes to things like the names of archetypes if that seems appropriate.

But Ship of Heroes is a successor game, not a re-make.  It's a new vision of a game, taking the best ideas we can think of to make a fun game.

Jeff Anderson

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 02:35:10 AM »
Looks awesome I hope it happens

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 02:48:35 AM »
We appreciate the feedback.  As the game evolves, we can make changes to things like the names of archetypes if that seems appropriate.

But Ship of Heroes is a successor game, not a re-make.  It's a new vision of a game, taking the best ideas we can think of to make a fun game.
I can understand where you are coming from. Just was listing a few things that might cause Nc. to take a look at your game. I do have high hopes for this game, I think the outline you listed, is very interesting. Where aliens could be enemies or friendly, is very interesting.
Question, will there be planets to go to? If so, will they be level locked?
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 09:20:19 AM »
That's cool.  Hope we get to strike back at the Rikti on their own turf.  Looking forward to hearing great things about Ship of Heroes.

Consultant

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
We are really excited about Ship of Heroes, so we're glad you are too.

Right now, we don't think the planets should be level-locked, although making a new alt and jumping down to the planet might be difficult since a new alt has so few powers.  In some ways it might be analogous to going to the Rikti Warzone in COH -- you could do it at level 1, but you'd have more fun at a higher level.

One of the fun things we have planned for Ship of Heroes is an increased opportunity to join raids.  Aliens are raiding our ship and we can counter-raid on their ships.  Enabling pick-up-groups to participate and succeed in defensive and offensive raiding is another cool element, which will also help make the social side of the game fun.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 03:27:27 AM »
I don't think the class names should be a problem.  I know the other games are avoiding using CoH's AT names, but words like "scrapper" and "mastermind" long predate CoH.   You may have problems with using "Star Trek", even just as a mention, because Paramount/CBS is uppity about their IP.

Right now, the thing that's most worrying on the website is that the image of what is supposedly your character creator is clearly just the CoH character creator with a few small edits, and that is something that NCSoft will almost certainly crack down on.

(That said... still excited.  I still miss The City after all these years.  Let's see what you got)

Edit: Oh, you might also have issues with the company name, as there's already a Heroic Games, making their own superhero-themed RPG (but not a MMORPG): http://www.hmd-game.com/press/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:55:18 AM by Thunder Glove »

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 02:44:01 PM »
Good luck.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 01:58:33 AM »
Right now, the thing that's most worrying on the website is that the image of what is supposedly your character creator is clearly just the CoH character creator with a few small edits, and that is something that NCSoft will almost certainly crack down on.
It looks like a slightly awkward mashup of CoH and CO graphics. The timeline seems somewhat unrealistically short to me since based on the images i've seen so far it seems like there isn't even a concept artist/designer on board at this point. Starting from basically zero right now i'd expect the playable alpha to be ready in the mid 2020s at the earliest barring the involvement of an already established game studio or the funding to start up a full time, full size studio from scratch. Just using Hello Games and No Man's Sky as an example, it took a team of 17 even without any sort of netcode or multiplayer, and that ended up being disappointingly lacking in depth and variety even with the procedural generation gimmick. So, at best i'm a little dubious, but i hope it works out regardless.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 05:24:45 AM »
So you have some polls, one of which I will quote:

SOH will have enhancements to powers that do not affect appearance at all, as in COH. Which option do you prefer?
  • Similar to COH. Max of 6 enhancements per power.
  • Let me go up to 8 or 9 per power
  • Give each power the same number of slots.
  • Something different from COH enhancements (future poll subject if this wins)
  • No limits! Let me put all my enhancements into a couple of favorite powers.

It seems crazy to me be polling about this, or the level that team play drops should be boosted, when there's no actual info about game mechanics whatsoever.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Consultant

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 04:32:11 PM »
Again, we appreciate the feedback.  A couple of thoughts:  we're a small team, and we started with mock-ups and concept art -- that's what you see on our website.  A few days ago we posted some screenshots from inside the game for the first time, in the Latest News section.  We intend to update this section as we finish items in order to flesh out the game.  So you can see the good and the bad.  It certainly takes years to make an MMORPG, and we know that.  There's a balance that we need to strike between letting people know that we're working on a game, but not promising too much too soon.  So we have gone ahead and published a set of milestones we want to achieve by next April, including the announcement of the game last month, the first in-game screenshots in this month (December), a demo video of a working character creator in January, etc.  From our point of view, fulfilling these milestones illustrates what we are creating and demonstrates steady, predictable progress.

What we try not to do is to over-promise.  We do not promise a totally finished first ship level this month, or a million costume pieces in the character creator next month.  But we will be showing what we have, and letting the community give us feedback. We think the City of Heroes community still exists, more than four years after the game officially closed, because we are passionate about the experience we had in the original game.  I know I am.  So over-promising to a passionate crowd would be a disaster. 

It's actually a bit complicated to let the community know that we exist, and to react to all of the feedback.  And we've had a lot of feedback.  :)

Please keep us in mind.  We're going to be revealing some very interesting stuff over the next few months.  And as I said at the start, we really do appreciate the feedback, even if it takes us a little time to react.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 09:35:17 PM »
Apotheosis City? That's too long of a name to type in chat. Hmmmm... I know! I'll just call it AP. XD
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 10:46:27 PM »
Well i certainly don't have any objections to more groups trying to make an homage game, and i hope it succeeds despite all the obvious obstacles. It's worth noting that CoH did not start out as a big budget MMO either, but then prior to WoW a big budget MMO was a very relative term and not the norm. At this stage it's the more the merrier and we'll see how it all settles out later.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Consultant

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »
We agree.  A small fun game can grow big if the community embraces it.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 07:28:50 AM »
New dev: "hey guys, here's a new city of heroes spin off were working on"

Me: Awesome can't wait!

Spin off / emulator haters: Hey aren't you worried that you'll get sued for that?

Me: *shakes head*

Ignore the usual legal experts here and keep working on your project. We'll never get anywhere without risks.