Paragon Chat > Development

Holiday Event Ideas?

(1/3) > >>

Codewalker:
Hey COH community!

Throwing together a barely tested last-minute patch to add a holiday event is becoming something of a Paragon Chat tradition. I'd like to do something fun for the Christmas/Hanukkah/Festivus season but am coming up short on ideas, so I'd appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions. Obviously some ideas may end up being more feasible to implement in the next week or two than others.

The snowfall will of course operate the same as it did last year; with small flurries starting to appear in December and increasing in frequency and duration as we get closer to New Year's.

To get the ball rolling, one possible low-hanging fruit is clickable presents. The spawn points for them are embedded in the zone maps, so it wouldn't be too difficult to make some of them randomly appear. Somewhat more work to synchronize them over XMPP so other players see them disappear when you click, but doable I think.

The sticky point is what happens after you click on the present. We don't have inventory so influence and candy canes when you've been nice is out. We don't have combat, so winter horde attacking you when you've been naughty is out too. We need to think outside the box, if you'll pardon the pun.

So, thoughts, comments, suggestions? Don't feel limited to just the presents if something else comes to mind.

Tahquitz:
Click on a present...

-- to change your costume to something Christmas themed or a City of Heroes Character?  Or extreme scale changes? (This year, Paragon Chat wants you to go Elf Yourself!)*

-- Jingle Jet.  Click on a present to get one.*

-- Click on a present for a temporary title?*

-- Click on a present for zone wide parts of christmas lyrics with $player name in it?  (See if others can click on presents in the right sequence to complete a lyric?)

* Since there's no 'server' to speak of to control duration, perhaps the temporary part could be it wears off immediately if you log, zone out or if you try to head to a Icon tailor and edit.

(Also, full disclosure: while I'm a Titan Network forum moderator, I have no idea what the development looks like in Paragon Chat.  I don't even beta test the client.  I have no more idea of what can and can't be done than you: my suggestions and ideas are on the same level as the general public...)

Kassandros:
I like the costume idea. Could the client temporarily (until you change it again) modify your costume to add one piece of seasonal apparel so it looks as if it was inside the box? This would be visible to you and to others and is the closest thing to a real object in the game. You could even have a set of various costume pieces considered festive so you could try to collect them all - of course, if you wanted to cheat, you could add them in manually, but who cares? I just don't know if there would be an issue with force modifying a costume or ways it could work without ruining the existing costume. I don't know enough about the complicated costume part modifications to know if parts can be patched on over top or what not. I've heard of fx being added though so maybe a special effect?

Title is also good I think and maybe there could be various collectable titles that your client "unlocks" as you get them.

saipaman:
How about if you open a present and are then randomly teleported?  "Nice" sends you to a blue zone and "naughty" sends you to a red zone?

Garble:
I still associate presents with "getting things"

Since we don't have loot any more, how about clicking the present spawns a random npc?
Or maybe just a piece of debris from the Grav Control Propel power?

"Hey I got a Jack Frost!" or "I got a forklift!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version