Author Topic: The lost easter egg  (Read 4138 times)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
The lost easter egg
« on: November 28, 2016, 10:08:43 PM »
Paragon Chat has a number of easter eggs in it. All but one have been discovered, and it's one that has been there for over a year, but was never discovered. I dropped a few hints about it when it was first added, and figured that somebody would eventually run across it by accident. Apparently no one did, and I didn't think about it much after that.

On November 10, 2015, Paragon Chat 0.99b was released, which among other things (like the monorail dialog), included a new easter egg. For the completionists out there, here's how to find it. Triggering it on purpose requires a little planning, as it was designed to be a very rare random occurrence.

1. Find a TUNNEL portal that is relatively close to another door. Make sure the other door is one that gives you a cannot enter message.

2. Click repeatedly on the portal. You'll get a series of random messages.

3a. If you get a message that includes "Whoa", "lunch", or "sign", STOP. These are one-shot messages, and once you get one of these, you can't get another one-shot message (or the easter egg), no matter how many times you click. If you get one of these, go click on the other door to reset the flag and start the cycle over.

3b. On the 10th click and after, if you haven't gotten one of the other one-shot messages, you have a small chance of getting the easter egg. You'll know it when you see it.

Due to the one-shot mechanic, the minimum number of failed attempts, and the fairly low weight in the pool, it's something that would only happen to people spam-clicking on doors to try to see all the messages, and even then be quite rare. The conditions are also set that way to make sure it's not something that a roleplayer could accidentally stumble into, as it's quite immersion-breaking (be warned before you try this!).

So, uh, good luck! If somebody bothers to try this, I'll figure out something special to do for the first person who posts a screenshot of it.

For bonus points, 3 of the other messages are pop culture references. One is super easy, one is fairly easy, and one is a bit obscure.

Kassandros

• Dead Already and Dead Again
  • Minion
Re: The lost easter egg
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 02:38:52 AM »
I had clicked on the Tunnel and gotten several of the messages before (I recognize Doctor Who and Portal references), but never enough times to get this. Hahaha. Beautiful:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:47:10 AM by Kassandros »

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 02:46:26 AM »
Is this also a step toward combat or are you just teasing??
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:25:41 AM by LateNights »

Kassandros

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 02:49:47 AM »
I should note the Go to Hospital button does not work. It seems that I am dead dead. I wonder if my corpse appears for anyone venturing to the portal in Grandville? I've stayed there. My character won't move. Cause I'm dead.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 03:12:45 AM »
Nice, that was quick! Now I'll have to think of something cool for you. ;D

I should note the Go to Hospital button does not work. It seems that I am dead dead. I wonder if my corpse appears for anyone venturing to the portal in Grandville? I've stayed there. My character won't move. Cause I'm dead.

Right, the hospital button doesn't do anything. Didn't make sense to implement a whole system just for a goof. If you log out and back in, it'll clear.

People who visit you will see your character lying on the ground, but they'll see you at full health rather than 0, since character attributes aren't synchronized.

Kassandros

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 03:24:23 AM »
Nice, that was quick! Now I'll have to think of something cool for you. ;D

Thank you!

Since I haven't gotten into roleplay or making a bunch of costumes, there's rarely much for me to do in ParagonChat other than fly around and reminisce, so this was something I could actually do! And curiosity has definitely killed the dragon. I also am a bit disappointed I never kept clicking before - I think I stopped before when the messages kept repeating with no new ones. So I probably was your target audience but I just didn't quite keep on clicking long enough the first time.

Right, the hospital button doesn't do anything. Didn't make sense to implement a whole system just for a goof. If you log out and back in, it'll clear.

People who visit you will see your character lying on the ground, but they'll see you at full health rather than 0, since character attributes aren't synchronized.

It's tempting to just stay logged in so people see my corpse lying in front of the portal, but no one goes to Grandville, alas.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 02:45:03 AM »
I think that's Forum Title worthy. :D
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Kassandros

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 04:44:05 AM »