Author Topic: Super Group Site Hosting Site  (Read 3823 times)

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
Super Group Site Hosting Site
« on: December 08, 2016, 07:30:50 PM »
What was it? A lot of groups used it. I cant remember the site name.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
Re: Super Group Site Hosting Site
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:56:17 PM »
I remember a lot of groups using GuildPortal.com (I think). But I don't think it's around any more.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 08:21:17 PM »
:( it isn't

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 05:05:43 AM »
Depends on what you want to do.

If you're looking for past content, The Wayback Machine is your best shot for the defunct GuildPortal. (There's a beta Site Search, but for the most part, you have to know the URL or address of the page you are looking for.  If your group used a purchased domain to redirect to the GuildPortal link, that part is easy.  If not, well...)  It also works for SGs that didn't use GuildPortal. (One example: Triumph's Fusion Force.)  As long as the website allowed spiders (Search Indexing), it will appear in the Wayback Machine.

If you want to make a place for your current or past group, you still have options.  Enjin.com isn't bad, that is, if you're looking for a new home for your Super Group or a MMO Guild in another game that behaves very similarly to GuildPortal.  Other non-Gaming hosts include Weebly, Wix, or Google Sites which will get a revamp that G Suite users have access to that I imagine will land on the public side soon. (Nevermind, the new Google Sites has soft-launched.)

There's also Discord, which is like Slack for gamers (with Multi-User voice chat baked instead of Slack's Calling feature).  Discord may be more player-friendly if you don't want to go through "putting a site together" and like social media discussions more than Web 2.0 stuff.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:11:54 AM by Tahquitz »
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 06:31:10 PM »
Depends on what you want to do.

If you're looking for past content, The Wayback Machine is your best shot for the defunct GuildPortal. (There's a beta Site Search, but for the most part, you have to know the URL or address of the page you are looking for.  If your group used a purchased domain to redirect to the GuildPortal link, that part is easy.  If not, well...)  It also works for SGs that didn't use GuildPortal. (One example: Triumph's Fusion Force.)  As long as the website allowed spiders (Search Indexing), it will appear in the Wayback Machine.

If you want to make a place for your current or past group, you still have options.  Enjin.com isn't bad, that is, if you're looking for a new home for your Super Group or a MMO Guild in another game that behaves very similarly to GuildPortal.  Other non-Gaming hosts include Weebly, Wix, or Google Sites which will get a revamp that G Suite users have access to that I imagine will land on the public side soon. (Nevermind, the new Google Sites has soft-launched.)

There's also Discord, which is like Slack for gamers (with Multi-User voice chat baked instead of Slack's Calling feature).  Discord may be more player-friendly if you don't want to go through "putting a site together" and like social media discussions more than Web 2.0 stuff.
Thanks a ton. This question is actually for my EVE online corporation. Big help :)

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 07:52:46 PM »
My Star Trek Online fleet uses gamerlaunch.com for its fleet (guild) page.