Author Topic: Paragon Chat 1.0.8 Patch Notes  (Read 26290 times)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Paragon Chat 1.0.8 Patch Notes
« on: December 27, 2016, 10:07:01 PM »
Patch notes for version 1.0.8
Update branch: Release
Release date: 27 Dec 2016

Events
  • The Winter's Gift event has been revamped. There are many changes from the initial version.

• Powers gained from opening gifts, such as the Holiday Rocket Pack, will now persist across sessions.
    • The Holiday Rocket Pack now lasts for 30 days after you receive it.
    • The Snowball power lasts for 14 days after you receive it.
    • The Snowball power can now be used on NPCs as well as other players.
    • Two new rare reward powers added, in addition to the one that already existed (which is now a permanent reward). These three special toys can be found only in Mysterious Gifts given to you by other players. Or yourself, if you're antisocial and dual-box it.
    • Candy canes can now be collected! Large boxes in the world may contain 2-4 candy canes. Small Mysterious Gifts from other players may contain 4-7 candy canes. Finally, the 'dud' gifts that only show a message now also reward 1 candy cane as a consolation prize.
    • Candy canes currently do not have a function, but future plans include adding a vendor to redeem them. The most likely use of these will be to obtain the various fun toy powers if you don't receive one from opening a gift. Getting a Snowball off-season (or perhaps a permanent one) is another idea under consideration.
    • The Snowball power now has a small chance of being found in the present boxes scattered around the world, rather than only in Mysterious Gifts. Mysterious Gifts from other players still have a much higher chance of containing a snowball and are a more reliable way to get one. Being hit by other players' snowballs enough times is another way to obtain it.
    • As the protocol for synchronizing powers has changed in this version, the Holiday Cheer power to give a gift to a player now requires that the target be running Paragon Chat 1.0.8 or higher. If you try to use it on a player running an older version, it will fail with an Invalid Target error to prevent you from wasting a charge on someone who cannot receive the gift.
    • Reduced the interaction time required to open present boxes in the world.

As the first week did not include any kind of persistence, for this year only the event has been extended to run through January 15, 2017. Subsequent years will run on the normal schedule of December 7 through January 6.
Powers
  • A basic powers system has been added to centralize the standard behavior of powers rather than implementing everything ad-hoc.

The power effects are still hardcoded, but the structure for things like range and target checks, how powers are added, etc. has been unified and a number of assumptions removed.

The new system has many features designed to make powers feel more like actual in-game powers behaved, such as:

• Power queuing
    • Recharge
    • Flexible toggle groups
    • Ability to disable specific powers (needed for the rocket board and friends)
    • Persistence of power ownership across sessions
    • Powers with a usage count
    • Time-limited powers
    • A standardized system for synchronizing power effects over XMPP without having to write a custom protocol for every power.

Patch notes for version 1.0.8.1
Release date: 29 Dec 2016

Events
  • Fixed an issue where opening a present would rarely show "You cannot enter" instead of the correct message.

• Fixed a bug preventing spawn state of presents from being remembered through map changes.

• Reduced the respawn timer on presents from 10 minutes to 5.

• Properly clear spawn point lookup table when zoning. This should prevent the occasional cases of presents randomly floating in midair.
Powers
  • New travel power: Teleport. The new powers system was a big step towards a working Teleport, though it still took a few more enhancements to it (as well as the animation system) to make it happen.

NOTE: Teleport in Paragon Chat works slightly different than the retail game. Instead of 4 seconds of a forced hover, after teleporting, you remain in dimensional flux, motionless and unaffected by gravity for 10 seconds. Attempting to move will break the flux early and drop you to the ground.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 07:04:14 AM by Codewalker »

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
Re: Paragon Chat 1.0.8 Patch Notes
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 10:45:50 PM »
I never really got into the Winter Event back when CoH was live, but I still enjoyed it to an extent, granted, I was only like 8 at the time, so it was more surprising that I was even playing a Mastermind rather well.

On a semi related note, The sound you hear when you're close to a Present is making me long for missions.

Now on a related note, thank you for all the work you've done CW (and anyone else who may have helped him, if anyone did).

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:55:31 PM »
CodeWalker, this is So Much More than I thought possible for the Winter Event. Thank you tremendously!!

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 04:41:55 AM »
Pretty fun!
Also, I got two gifts that had a "You Cannot Enter" in them.

Kassandros

• Dead Already and Dead Again
  • Minion
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 06:15:09 AM »
Amazing! Got hit by a snowball which I never thought would happen again.

Linuial

• Lieutenant
    • Survivor: a City of Heroes novel
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »
Codewalker, I haven't even tried it out yet, and I am already blown away just from your list. 

All I can say is: "All hail the mighty Codewalker!" 

...and...thank you. 
Liberty and a plethora of others.  Altaholic.  SG Starfire.
"...and it's never too late to stop being afraid..." 
"...have you ever been caught in a sea of despair?
"And your Moment of Truth is the day that you say, "I'm not scared!"
"Unity" - - Shinedown

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 03:29:07 PM »
Pretty fun!
Also, I got two gifts that had a "You Cannot Enter" in them.

Oops. There was an error in one of the world gift messages and it fell back to the failsafe door message (since I reused the door code's random message selection). If you see that, it was supposed to say "On the fifth day of CoHmas, my true love gave to me... five Rikti drones!"

Fixed it internally, it'll go into the next patch whenever that is.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 04:06:44 PM »
Wonderful fun opening gifts last night, and the candy canes accrued quickly.  I got the Jingle Jet again after only a few gifts, but it took opening everything in 4 zones to finally get Snowball Fight.  A "Rare Drop", that brings back memories, ha!

Also, I saw one gift floating in mid-air, but with the Jingle Jet, no problem getting to it.  If I run across it again today, I'll post the loc.

I hope your Christmas has been as wonderful as the one you've given all of us, CodeWalker!  Thanks!!

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 04:34:54 PM »
Hmm, today although I'm supposedly getting gift boxes a lot, they're not appearing in my powers bar.  Is there anywhere else I should check for them?

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 05:58:27 PM »
Fuuuun! Thanks.

Have a Happy New Year!
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

bcslaski

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 09:43:35 PM »
After this update AVG is blocking me. I have ParagonChat.exe set as an exception but I still get a 'Failed to set up client' error. I'd only JUST discovered Paragon Chat too. Any ideas what else I can do apart from the exception in my virus program?

EDIT: Nevermind. It looks like AVG had already sent ParagonChatClient.exe to the vault. Restoring it and adding that to the exceptions fixed me. Whew!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:00:27 PM by bcslaski »

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 11:31:35 PM »
Found my Gift Boxes.  I'd forgotten that in addition to the Powers Tray, there's also a Powers Tab, which lists other items like Flying Disk and Toy Bat.  Gift Boxes were there, and have been restored to the Powers Tray, yay!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2016, 07:04:42 AM »
Updated the OP with patch notes for a new release.

Patch notes for version 1.0.8.1
Release date: 29 Dec 2016

Events
  • Fixed an issue where opening a present would rarely show "You cannot enter" instead of the correct message.

• Fixed a bug preventing spawn state of presents from being remembered through map changes.

• Reduced the respawn timer on presents from 10 minutes to 5.

• Properly clear spawn point lookup table when zoning. This should prevent the occasional cases of presents randomly floating in midair.
Powers
  • New travel power: Teleport. The new powers system was a big step towards a working Teleport, though it still took a few more enhancements to it (as well as the animation system) to make it happen.

NOTE: Teleport in Paragon Chat works slightly different than the retail game. Instead of 4 seconds of a forced hover, after teleporting, you remain in dimensional flux, motionless and unaffected by gravity for 10 seconds. Attempting to move will break the flux early and drop you to the ground.

Kassandros

• Dead Already and Dead Again
  • Minion
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 08:14:23 AM »
"Minor patch. Fixed this bug, that bug, made a few tweaks to this and that oh and also TELEPORT IS LIVE."

You're the best, Codewalker.

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 12:43:25 PM »
Lol I thought the "you cannot enter" was just a spoof message, didn't even realize it was a bug.

I did crash to desktop twice while zoning yesterday. Once when using a macro for mapmove menu to go to Talos, and once just walking into the tunnel that leads to Skyway city. Both times I had SJ and SS toggled on. On the second crash I had to reload twice to get Paragon chat channel to work again.

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 02:50:51 PM »
OMG! TELEPORT! Wheee...

Fixed an issue where opening a present would rarely show "You cannot enter" instead of the correct message.
For all of you cats, out there, I'm guessing this still won't allow you to play inside the boxes, unfortunately.

Have an even Happier New Years! You're awesome, Codewalker.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 02:54:21 PM »
Codewalker,

I have a question. Is the PCIT (Paragon Chat maintenance tool) needed to start Paragon Chat? Would you make it that these features are in the PC program within the gear settings? I think it'd be much better as an all in one. Know what I mean?

Thanks!  ;D

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 05:04:25 PM »
The Bootstrap/Setup? No, it's only needed for the initial download, it doesn't need to be run through that. It has a run button only in case somebody runs it again for some reason (and I think the tequila manifest that's floating around launches it). Once it's installed you're better off using the start menu or desktop shortcut to run PC directly.

It does contain the uninstall and repair functions, which would be nice to have integrated. There's a lot of things related to the install process that are dependent on a future milestone of patcher improvements to support more complex installs. Right now everything is bundled into a single .exe file.

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 05:52:14 PM »
The Bootstrap/Setup? No, it's only needed for the initial download, it doesn't need to be run through that. It has a run button only in case somebody runs it again for some reason (and I think the tequila manifest that's floating around launches it). Once it's installed you're better off using the start menu or desktop shortcut to run PC directly.

It does contain the uninstall and repair functions, which would be nice to have integrated. There's a lot of things related to the install process that are dependent on a future milestone of patcher improvements to support more complex installs. Right now everything is bundled into a single .exe file.

That makes sense. I never used Tequila before to start PC. Ever since I opened it, it auto updated something for PC. I do not know how to remove it though, because it also updated the desktop icon.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 06:19:22 PM »
I have a question about candy canes and gift boxes (Holiday Cheer).  Will these persist after the Winter Event ends?  I was thinking they'd make nice prizes for Costume Contests, something we could actually give to winning contestants.