Author Topic: Request for Comment: Candy Cane Costs  (Read 9031 times)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Request for Comment: Candy Cane Costs
« on: January 03, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
Since Paragon Chat is decentralized, there is no server I can datamine to see how quickly people are amassing Candy Canes. So I need some feedback on proposed post-season vendor costs. I'm starting with the numbers the wiki has for the retail game Candy Keeper and going from there.

Things are a bit different in PC. There are no winter horde enemies to drop candy canes, and no repeatable father time mission. However, the glowy presents drop more candy canes than retail, and the Mystery Gifts drop far more.

Badges
Cold Front Badge - 20 candy canes (down from 25)
Gifted Badge - 20 candy canes (down from 25)
Frostbitten Badge - 20 candy canes (down from 25)
Holiday Spirit/Scrooge Badge - 20 candy canes (down from 25)
Joyful Badge - 20 candy canes
Miraculous Badge - 20 candy canes
Crystallized Badge - 20 candy canes (up from 10)
Frosty Badge - 20 candy canes (up from 10)
Longbow Reservist/Jet-Setter Badge - 20 candy canes (decoupled from the jetpack, up from 10 to make it consistent)
Festive Badge - 20 candy canes (not previously available with candy canes)

Temporary Powers
Holiday Cheer - 5 candy canes (can be used on other players to give them a Mystery Gift)
Mystery Gift - 10 candy canes (for opening yourself to drop junk objects and a chance at the permanent powers if you don't already have them)
Snowball - 5 candy canes (lasts 14 days*)
Holiday Rocket Pack - 10 candy canes (lasts 30 days)

Permanent Powers**
Flying Disc - 50 candy canes
Nevermelting Snowball - 75 candy canes
Toy Bat - 100 candy canes
LKT Rocket Pack - 150 candy canes

* The temporary snowball is self-replicating and can in theory be maintained indefinitely if two players coordinate to log in at the right intervals and throw it at each other.

** All of the permanent powers except for the inherent (non-expiring) snowball can be obtained by opening Mystery Gifts. These are here as a safety value for people who open a lot of gifts and get candy canes, but are unlucky and don't get one or more of the powers.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:33:07 PM by Codewalker »

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Re: Request for Comment: Candy Cane Costs
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 07:19:28 PM »
I got 20 candy canes in 15 minutes.  Based on that, I'd say the suggested prices are fine.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 07:28:01 PM »
Hmm, looks like I missed the Crystallized and Frosty badges, which are listed on the badge page for 10 candy canes each, but not on the Candy Keeper page.

There's also Festive, which was auto-granted during the event from 2009 onwards.

I'm thinking add those 3 badges, and lower the costs to 20 per badge across the board since there's so many.

EDIT: Added those 3 and updated the costs. That makes it an even 200 candy canes to get all the badges.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:34:36 PM by Codewalker »

Carnada

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 08:50:30 PM »
so 1000 candy canes is overkill?  :)
"Choose your causes carefully, if not, if you try to champion every good cause that comes along, you'll wear yourself out, at best, and worse, become a dilettante -- an ineffective dabbler. Pick a few that are the most near and dear to you, and give them your all, trusting that others are out there handling the other causes with equal fervor."

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 11:37:16 PM »
so 1000 candy canes is overkill?  :)
Well, if Wentworths ever opens again, you could probably make a killing in the Candy Cane market.  *Grin*

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 03:33:53 AM »
After three days of "routine harvesting" on opening presents alone, I've found it reasonable to amass 100 canes in a 2 hour session if I'm not focused (during the harvesting, I'm chatting with folks, and answering frequent interruptions in RL).  If I didn't chat, nailed a route where I was opening a present every 10-15 seconds, and left zones if the present drop rate wasn't being kind to me, I'd be a bit faster at it, but not at the rate of 100 canes per hour.

I don't know if that helps.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Apocalord

• Mr. Paragon City 2016
  • Underling
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 01:08:36 PM »
Wanted to log in and go get more candy canes now that I see what some of the rewards are but there seems to be no presents now.Is this because I just waited too long or maybe had something to do with adding the badge maps to the game?

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 04:28:26 PM »
Yes, Apoc. The event ended on Jan 15.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Apocalord

• Mr. Paragon City 2016
  • Underling
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 07:51:53 PM »
Well.my fault for not coming on more,thanks for the answer.Is there anyway we could still get the flying disc?I know it's just a minor thing but just seems like it would be fun to do while standing around or talking with other people.Also,before I forget,thanks so much to Codewalker and anyone else involved for all these cool features and the work done to give us this.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 04:42:28 AM »
Well.my fault for not coming on more,thanks for the answer.Is there anyway we could still get the flying disc?I know it's just a minor thing but just seems like it would be fun to do while standing around or talking with other people.Also,before I forget,thanks so much to Codewalker and anyone else involved for all these cool features and the work done to give us this.

Ask a friend if they have some Holiday Cheer boxes left.  There's a chance you'll get one with each present opened.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 03:23:41 PM »
Are we going to be able to purchase the Christmas Badges with the Candy Canes in the future?

Korbian

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 12:33:12 AM »
Are we going to be able to purchase the Christmas Badges with the Candy Canes in the future?

That's the plan.  Not sure how soon we can look for it, though.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »
That's the plan.  Not sure how soon we can look for it, though.

Okay thanks for the reply, will watch the Patch Notes as and when they appear

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 10:51:11 PM »

aeb

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 08:11:52 PM »
The costs work great during the Winter Gifts event, when gifts and candy canes are common. Now that that's over, new folks are having trouble getting in on the fun of toy bat/flying disk/snowball fights. Only a temporary snowball is feasible for most, which feels like a disadvantage. {Smile}

Having them easy to get helps make the Winter Gifts event special, but if there was another way - even a rare or not-easy way - to get a candy cane or few the rest of the year, it would let newer players and characters join in the fun more. {SMILE}

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 11:25:48 PM »
You can get candy canes from gifts from other players. If you see me (Majadi) in-game, hit me up for some. I've got hundreds stashed up just for this.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »
Quick question about "days" that a holiday item like snowball or Jingle Jet lasts:   If it says "30 days", does that mean 30 game-days, i.e. only when you log in does the counter start), or 30 days Real Time?