Author Topic: Which "successor" shows the most promise?  (Read 15475 times)

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
Re: Which "successor" shows the most promise?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 07:27:06 AM »
I appreciate your thoughts.  Please keep them coming.  :)

But there is no art taken from COH in SOH.  None.  Zippo.

If you want to say that Apotheosis City reminds you of COH, well, your opinion is valid.  But for many who travel from country to country today, a very  common observation is how much cities in China or Europe or America all have striking similarities.  We used urban design principles in laying out Apotheosis City.  So for example, you see shout-out features to cities in the US and the Middle East and Asia in the level.  This is an example of people of the future bringing remembrances of the past on earth into the ship.

Of course, Apotheosis City is created in Unreal 4, so the engine, the assets available to purchase for the engine, and the level of detail are all completely different from any previous game.  So the City is completely unique.

Each future level of the Justice, and the worlds visited will be similarly created, and similarly unique.

I don't mean the city, that's clearly new (although the "robots" were just assets that ship with Unreal Engine).  No, what I mean is your UI design and nomenclature for primary/secondary power sets. It's clearly copied straight from CoH. Sorry if you can't see that, but it is.  Hopefully it's just a temporary placeholder whilst you come up with your own.

Oh, and raids against other ships -- those are counter-raids against alien ships who have stolen our stuff, not raids against human or allied species.  And that is right in the sweet spot for heroes.

Thanks again.

Heroes don't steal from others, or attack others except in defense of their own.  Raids sound like a great GAME mechanic, but heroes just don't do that, sorry. What you describe are the actions of pirates.

What was the last time you saw the Justice League preemptively attacking someone and stealing their stuff?

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 12:15:05 PM »
Heroes don't steal from others, or attack others except in defense of their own.  Raids sound like a great GAME mechanic, but heroes just don't do that, sorry. What you describe are the actions of pirates.

So how did you envision drops from defeated enemies in CoH?
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 06:46:10 PM »
So how did you envision drops from defeated enemies in CoH?

I didn't, at all. Thankfully CoH didn't have you rooting through the defeated opponents pockets so any drops I got I just completely ignored from a story point of view. It was a pure game mechanic to me, nothing more.

Acts of piracy, on the other hand, are a little harder to ignore from a story point of view.  Like I say, I'm sure they'll be an absolute -blast- as far as pure game play mechanics go, but I just don't see how that would work story wise. Heroes are not pirates.

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 09:16:59 PM »
I didn't, at all. Thankfully CoH didn't have you rooting through the defeated opponents pockets so any drops I got I just completely ignored from a story point of view. It was a pure game mechanic to me, nothing more.

Acts of piracy, on the other hand, are a little harder to ignore from a story point of view.  Like I say, I'm sure they'll be an absolute -blast- as far as pure game play mechanics go, but I just don't see how that would work story wise. Heroes are not pirates.

But heroes can certainly APPREHEND pirates and restore ill-gotten gains to their rightful owners.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 11:12:36 PM »
Am I the only one who remembers us invading Praetoria and beating up mental patients and shutting down power plants?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 12:42:15 AM »
Am I the only one who remembers us invading Praetoria and beating up mental patients and shutting down power plants?
And some of the mental patients weren't even strictly crazy. You could be institutionalized in Praetoria just for being a stickler about game mechanics matching particular notions of proper character behavior.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 07:18:50 AM »
But heroes can certainly APPREHEND pirates and restore ill-gotten gains to their rightful owners.

Absolutely! And if they want to couch the raids in THAT sort of manner...That you're going after a space pirate to make the space lanes safer etc, then I'm all for that as it's far more heroic than just attacking another city ship to steal their stuff!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 07:21:14 AM »

I didn't like that, either. :p

Raids are fun. yes.  But if you're giving your game the theme of heroism, then raids should be phrased as being done for GOOD, not convenience.  That raid would have been better if you were rescuing mental patients from illegal detention and mistreatment.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 01:32:03 PM »

What was the last time you saw the Justice League preemptively attacking someone and stealing their stuff?

Well, it wasn't the entire Justice League, but Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman stole about 2 1/2 hours of my life last summer.  I'll never get that back.

;D

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 12:53:15 AM »
I didn't like that, either. :p

Raids are fun. yes.  But if you're giving your game the theme of heroism, then raids should be phrased as being done for GOOD, not convenience.  That raid would have been better if you were rescuing mental patients from illegal detention and mistreatment.

It's kinda sounding to me like maybe SoH just isn't right for you

Personally, I am looking forward to CoT, but SoH has me interested.  I really appreciate that one of the people working on it is here and interacting, gotta love that.  VO I may try to, I have 0 intention of playing H&V though.

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 01:52:53 AM »

Personally, I am looking forward to CoT, but SoH has me interested.  I really appreciate that one of the people working on it is here and interacting, gotta love that.  VO I may try to, I have 0 intention of playing H&V though.

Personally, I'd love to play H&V.  I just don't expect to.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2017, 01:09:06 PM »

I'm a roleplayer. For me, the reasons for doing something are infinitely more important than the game mechanic of doing it.

I have 0 intention of playing H&V though.

I'm the same.  Maybe if certain persons weren't heavily involved in it, I might. But I just can't stand that... person.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »
I'm a roleplayer. For me, the reasons for doing something are infinitely more important than the game mechanic of doing it.

I'm the same.  Maybe if certain persons weren't heavily involved in it, I might. But I just can't stand that... person.

Ya I get that, I honestly am not much of a Role Player but in CoH I couldn't help but get a little submerged.  I can see how coming from CoH to another game the bar would be set quite high because of how RP friendly CoH was, especially if you are a seasoned RPer.  CoH and the Souls games always get me Role Playing, at least I have the latter still.

As for H&V that is the exact reason I won't be playing it too

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2017, 06:49:58 PM »
CoT all the way for me - it's the only successor I see myself growing attached to ala CoH...

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 04:52:01 AM »
https://www.shipofheroes.com

The site does look good, I have to say that.

Speaking of which.... One of the biggest reasons I have trouble getting excited about CoT is that their site is a nightmare to navigate so I can never find the info I'm looking for about the game and it's setting.

Warhead

• Underling
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 07:01:02 PM »
CoT seems to have the overall concept I am hoping for but I feel its the one we have seen the least content from. In the end, I will play whatever releases first, but overall CoT seems to have a good story lore and will have the most available upon launch.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 08:01:07 PM »
Speaking of which.... One of the biggest reasons I have trouble getting excited about CoT is that their site is a nightmare to navigate so I can never find the info I'm looking for about the game and it's setting.
Working on it whenever there is a lull in other work.

Heck, if you or anyone knows someone who wants to go through the piles of material to create the website writeups, and organize them, let me know!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:33:00 PM by downix »

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »
Haven't looked at any of the successors for awhile.  So, I used this as an excuse to look in on CoT.  I must say, it looks and sounds very promising.  I like what I read about the powersets and costumes.  They get a big thumbs up from me so far!

Can't wait to play!

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 03:47:25 PM »
Erm. Doesn't Superman keep a museum of "retrieved" items in his Fortress?

Pretty sure the Batcave has similar.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:53:49 PM by MyriVerse »
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

princezilla

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2017, 10:10:30 PM »
I don't mean the city, that's clearly new (although the "robots" were just assets that ship with Unreal Engine).  No, what I mean is your UI design and nomenclature for primary/secondary power sets. It's clearly copied straight from CoH. Sorry if you can't see that, but it is.  Hopefully it's just a temporary placeholder whilst you come up with your own.

....What are you talking about? Heroes and police, both in real life and in comics do preemptive raids all the time to confiscate illegal weapons, drugs and other such things before they can be used.