Author Topic: Star Wars The Old Republic  (Read 4079 times)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Star Wars The Old Republic
« on: January 09, 2017, 12:17:46 AM »
This is one game that I have a love hate relationship, if they did not have a poor f2p model, such as f2p gets 50% less xp gain. (no other game I know does this). Which makes some members elitists, thinking they are better then f2pers. The story is nice, and worth playing through, but unfortunately the less xp gain is what causes many people just to try then just leave.
I get members should get the keys to the kingdom, I always thought that is fair. However, when the game dev. intentionally gimps f2pers, that makes people not want to really. I wonder if the devs of Star Wars tor, got rid of that moronic xp gimp, how many people would play? I know I would play more then I have been.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Star Wars The Old Republic
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 12:49:35 AM »
Regular xp feels gimped in that game too. I played a toon of every type to Ziost, all but 2 during 12x xp, which is perfect speed for just doing the main stories and getting out. Was still somehow boring.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 08:07:12 AM »
Oddly enough, the thing that I think ultimately turned me off from TOR in the long run was the RP community. I always felt dumber and like I needed a shower after dealing with them.

I generally sub when that's an option so I can't really speak to the f2p limitations. Since I couldn't get any one to play with me there was little reason to keep investing time into the game after playing through some of the stories so I haven't been back in a while anyways.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:55:35 PM »
Regular xp feels gimped in that game too. I played a toon of every type to Ziost, all but 2 during 12x xp, which is perfect speed for just doing the main stories and getting out. Was still somehow boring.

Ever since KOTFE came out last year levelling is almost too fast without any boosts. You can easily do just the main class and planetary quests and level up at the proper rate. It wasn't nearly that fast in the beginning.

The game is ok, but it could be so much more if they cared about more than just a quick cash grab. I'm seeing that now as I play through KOTOR 1 on my tablet.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 11:13:06 PM »
Ever since KOTFE came out last year levelling is almost too fast without any boosts. You can easily do just the main class and planetary quests and level up at the proper rate. It wasn't nearly that fast in the beginning.

The game is ok, but it could be so much more if they cared about more than just a quick cash grab. I'm seeing that now as I play through KOTOR 1 on my tablet.
The leveling might be too fast for members, but for f2p and prefs. it is a slosh, that feels like you are going up hill in deep mud. That is true for member when it only comes to members that they only have to do the class stuff, that is not true for f2p's, they have do all of the content, kill almost every mob, just get close to a reasonable xp gain.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 06:55:21 PM »
The game doesn't have a F2P model, it effectively has a F2Demo model. The limitations are preposterous, I personally sub but would absolutely not bother without it.

Otherwise... KOTFE and KOTET are another game from what was before, and unfortunately one that doesn't interest me very much. Still, after CoX I have played SWTOR the most and I still hope new developments will renew my interest. I too have a love/hate relationship with it, it draws me in so much yet so many design decisions are cringeworthy. For example I don't mind the lack of new ops and flashpoints, but the new loot system is a joke even though its intentions are the best. As a result I practically haven't played the game since KOTET came out.

Meh, best not get on a rant.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 06:49:30 AM »
Personally I just hate the overly restrictive F2P limitations, even if you've given them money in the past you're still locked out of almost everything. The 350k currency cap especially - there's literally things from vendors that cost more than that but nope, you either subscribe or you're screwed out of those because there's no way to increase it. Every other F2P game I've ever played that has a currency cap lets you pay to lift it, but I guess that'd make too much sense for something run by EA.

And then there's the constant praising themselves about how amazing their story is when since KOTFE it's been an utterly generic chosen one story with almost zero variation from player actions despite constant promises that our choices matter. And it doesn't at all fit the gameplay either, especially in KOTET 90% of the actual story is in cutscenes where the supposed main character, the player, isn't even present. Which is a shame because the class storylines in the original game were actually pretty good, as far as MMO writing goes.

Also it still runs like absolute dogshit even on a relatively new and decent computer because their engine is an even bigger pile of hacks and spaghetti code than CoH was. Practically melts my graphics card just standing around idle, when much more graphically intensive but actually halfway optimised stuff like the new Doom doesn't do that.

If I didn't have an RP group I actually sort of like, I'd have dropped it long ago and gone back to far better games. Champions maybe, which should tell you something of my opinion of SWTOR right there.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »
With KOTFE and KOTET, I think they were trying to go with a Mass Effect-style of storytelling. More cinematic in nature. I can't say I'm a big fan of it. Especially since it's a totally single player experience, and really doesn't make a lot of sense unless your character is a force user. I've been playing KOTOR I quite a bit lately on my tablet. It's somewhat jarring how this game and the original don't feel anything alike. If not for the obvious clues, I might not even know the two take place in roughly the same era of the SW timeline.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I do wonder if, based on the conclusion of KOTET, they're planning on adding a 3rd "faction" (I put that in quotes cause it seems to be a common practice to half-ass the 3rd faction; see: Romulans in STO, Pandas in WoW, and our own Praetorians). I'm sure it's unlikely since they can barely pull off two factions, but SWTOR management hasn't exactly been all that great at good decision-making.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 08:48:37 PM »
With KOTFE and KOTET, I think they were trying to go with a Mass Effect-style of storytelling. More cinematic in nature. I can't say I'm a big fan of it. Especially since it's a totally single player experience, and really doesn't make a lot of sense unless your character is a force user. I've been playing KOTOR I quite a bit lately on my tablet. It's somewhat jarring how this game and the original don't feel anything alike. If not for the obvious clues, I might not even know the two take place in roughly the same era of the SW timeline.

Spoiler for Hidden:
I do wonder if, based on the conclusion of KOTET, they're planning on adding a 3rd "faction" (I put that in quotes cause it seems to be a common practice to half-ass the 3rd faction; see: Romulans in STO, Pandas in WoW, and our own Praetorians). I'm sure it's unlikely since they can barely pull off two factions, but SWTOR management hasn't exactly been all that great at good decision-making.
I agree with you, I think that the KOTET is far better then the base chapters 1-3. I like where the story is going, i have yet to finish the chapter. Right now I am trying to recruit all of the pets that I can.
For your theory it is not bad, but it is not right. The reason being is that it would cost EA more then it brings in. Look at the cut scenes in the new expansions, some did not have character voice. Also from what I have seen and read the new chapter will be about the player protecting their galactic alliance.

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 06:21:14 AM »
For your theory it is not bad, but it is not right. The reason being is that it would cost EA more then it brings in. Look at the cut scenes in the new expansions, some did not have character voice. Also from what I have seen and read the new chapter will be about the player protecting their galactic alliance.

Oh for sure. I'd be surprised that EA hasn't already cut the game off, except I saw something recently that it's one of their highest grossing Star Wars games behind Galaxy of Heroes.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 04:36:24 AM »
I found another bull-pancake thing about tor. Tor is if you hope to play past l70 and earn command points, you will not earn them. They make it hard for preferred and f2p leveling as hard as they can. Then when you get to that magic number 70, and think you will get anything more. I hope you like the story because that is the only reward someone of the f2p and preferred will get.
I visited my l70 just to do a few recruiting missions and a off mission, before you get 2 cps for killing an elite, now I got nothing. Plus the 20 cp xp, nothing.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 01:10:53 AM »
Yes this time around they completely gated the endgame behind subscription. You can't even buy weekly passes or whatnot for it anymore.