Author Topic: Plaques Badges  (Read 3923 times)

T-Manster

• Underling
Plaques Badges
« on: January 10, 2017, 12:14:52 AM »
Is it possible to turn on the badge system and information that was available from the plaques?

JordanYen

• Minion
Re: Plaques Badges
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 01:05:46 PM »
What I hear is that the plan is to restore the function, but that the text will have to change due to copyright. Apparently the plaque text was stored server-side so it's not preexisting in the client.

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 02:34:05 PM »
So does Codewalker need our help making new plaque text?

I for one propose dirty limericks.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »
That's correct, the plaque text is not stored clientside, and while there are copies of it on places like Paragon Wiki, I'm leery of bundling it with Paragon Chat. To date, we've gone to great lengths to avoid distributing any potentially copyright-protected material along with the program, preferring instead to load it all from client data.

In the chat channel I floated the idea of getting community submissions for new, original, text for the plaques. The replacements wouldn't need to be exact stand-ins (they could talk about some other aspect of the history of the city for instance), but text that's at least somewhat related to the badge they're tied to would be a plus. Unlike silly metagame things like the door messages, I'd prefer that plaque text not be fourth-wall breaking and maintain the tone of the original game.

I haven't set up any formal project or anything for that -- if there's someone who wants to take the lead on it and help gather, select, and edit the submissions for quality, please feel free to step up and do that.

JordanYen

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:10:13 PM »
That's correct, the plaque text is not stored clientside, and while there are copies of it on places like Paragon Wiki, I'm leery of bundling it with Paragon Chat. To date, we've gone to great lengths to avoid distributing any potentially copyright-protected material along with the program, preferring instead to load it all from client data.

In the chat channel I floated the idea of getting community submissions for new, original, text for the plaques. The replacements wouldn't need to be exact stand-ins (they could talk about some other aspect of the history of the city for instance), but text that's at least somewhat related to the badge they're tied to would be a plus. Unlike silly metagame things like the door messages, I'd prefer that plaque text not be fourth-wall breaking and maintain the tone of the original game.

I haven't set up any formal project or anything for that -- if there's someone who wants to take the lead on it and help gather, select, and edit the submissions for quality, please feel free to step up and do that.

I started the ball: https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12432.0