Author Topic: Paragon Chat Patch Notes Discussion  (Read 72319 times)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: Paragon Chat Patch Notes Discussion
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2017, 03:18:39 AM »
Patch notes for version 1.0.15
Update branch: Release
Release date: 26 Oct 2017

Events
  • For 2017 only, Trick-or-treating has been extended to run through Nov. 16.
Miscellaneous
  • Non-local players managed by another instance no longer incorrectly regenerate hitpoints.
Powers
  • Energy Flight is now exclusive to Peacebringers.

• New Peacebringer-exclusive powers added:

• Bright Nova
    • White Dwarf

• New Warshade-exclusive powers added:

• Shadow Step
    • Dark Nova
    • Black Dwarf

Patch notes for version 1.0.15.1
Update branch: Release
Release date: 26 Oct 2017

UI
  • Attempt to detect when running under Wine, and fall back to using the old Windows XP folder chooser rather than the new one introducted in Vista.

This may make it easier to choose the COH installation folder on Macs, which seem to have an incomplete implementation of the new common file dialog.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:26:34 AM by Codewalker »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2017, 02:54:03 PM »
Well done Codewalker.

As if  having a working TP with cool aura wasn't enough.  We get recall friend too!  Which I've had fun using in...

The Halloween Event has been fun to take part in. :)

I have all but the last fashion badge and a bucket of salvage.  (I guess that's the one I have to delete temporary powers NPC costumes to 're-collect' enough of them to get to 50?)  I even got my rock.  (Prized possession.)  Though if I could have one request would be to have the stone mallet spawn in my hand...  (It's a guy thing...)

This is an interesting patch:

Tasks.  Somethings to do.
Temporary NPC spawn powers that you can transform into...and be affected by.
A Zombie npc that 'spawns' and walks around?  (Did I see that correctly, he comes out the ground and/or emerges from or goes into a door?)
An 'easter egg' in Croatoa (map design...at work...)
Powers that affect the PC. 
Working hit points from those environment spawn powers.
A working hospital.  (Never thought I'd be glad to see that working again...or feel the existential 'joy' of dying in game...)
Care of the instant death Orbital 'nuke.'
Salvage that you can collect from the environment.
To be...traded in later...from a vendor for...'other stuff.'
Badges.

...these may seem like subtle additions to some under the cloak of an 'event' but I think they are significant.  They demonstrate another test bed of functionality that was previously 'missing' from Paragon Chat...and that we have working hit points in Paragon Chat (and a working Hospital!) is tantamount to teasing.

It suggests that the 'team' are intimately connected with the inner workings of the CoH client and 'arcane sorcery' to plug into said client.  The list above begs the questions we all want to ask but daren't.  it's just best to enjoy the bricks of functionality being 'sensitively' and 'diplomatically' restored to the CoH community.

Rightfully under the 'radar', this patch finally demonstrates the further potential functionality of the Paragon Chat and Client combo with the quiet suggestion of more to come.  A quietly confident release.

And if that wasn't enough...

We get Peacebringers and Warshades with transformational powers 'right after' the event release.

And this is 'only' 1.0.15.  (Can we imagine what a 2.0 release would have?)

Well done to Codewalker and his team.

The CoH legacy is in safe hands.

Azrael.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:02:50 PM by Azrael »

MomentaryGrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »
For 2017 only, Trick-or-treating has been extended to run through Nov. 16.

W00T!! :D

Scrapperlock in ten... nine...

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2017, 02:43:33 PM »
I just tried it on my old Mac and my husband's newer PC.

On the Mac some weirdness to note:
  • None of the damage dealing Tricks were significant enough to defeat me. When I saw other people talk about how fun it is use the Hospital button again, I assumed they must be getting multiple damage Tricks in a row. The death from above nuke didn't even do any damage.
  • The Mot Tentaport doesn't teleport my toon anywhere. Instead I just can't move anywhere. Usng /stuck or the Teleport power will change my toons location but I still can't turn, run or jump. Quitting to Log In screen was the only work around.

On the PC:
  • The first time I logged in the floating island was in Croatoa but there were no other halloween updates. No trick or treating, no new powers, nothing. I reloaded it again to make it work.
  • I still find that going to Pocket D makes the whole thing quit suddenly after a few minutes. No idea why.

Misc. Fun things:
  • It's possible for Rikti Monkeys to have tiny redcaps banging their head.
  • Nova form doesn't turn into a Rikti monkey.
  • Rikti monkeys ride Rocket Boards and Flying Carpets around their wastes.

Thank you, Codewalker!!!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2017, 04:46:43 PM »
None of the damage dealing Tricks were significant enough to defeat me.

Interesting.

By design, the Mot chompers should not be enough to defeat a player. Including the final big tick, standing in the patch the entire time should take you down to about 20-30% HP.

The blue patch from the sword, however, should do enough damage to defeat a player who stands in the patch for about 6-7 seconds (varies slightly depending on AT).

And the orbital strike does more than enough damage in a single tick to defeat a player - there is no anti-oneshot code in Paragon Chat.

I honestly can't think of anything that could cause such specific weirdness without breaking everything else in the program.

Carnada

• Minion
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2017, 06:41:26 PM »
What can we use the salvage for?
"Choose your causes carefully, if not, if you try to champion every good cause that comes along, you'll wear yourself out, at best, and worse, become a dilettante -- an ineffective dabbler. Pick a few that are the most near and dear to you, and give them your all, trusting that others are out there handling the other causes with equal fervor."

Kassandros

• Dead Already and Dead Again
  • Minion
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2017, 11:34:17 PM »
Thank you, Codewalker! You and Null the Gull made my dream come true. Now I'd like to have that as a costume power, however....

(Is leveling up a thing? I got a notice about being able to level up but it seems that doesn't work, right?)

slickriptide

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2017, 05:18:33 AM »
What can we use the salvage for?

Halloween salvage is basically a placeholder right now. It exists (both now and in the past) as something to fill in the gaps when you had acquired all or nearly all of the costume powers.

Candy canes can be taken to the Candy Keeper in the ski chalet and traded for winter holiday goodies.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2017, 06:03:15 AM »
Halloween salvage is basically a placeholder right now. It exists (both now and in the past) as something to fill in the gaps when you had acquired all or nearly all of the costume powers.

Candy canes can be taken to the Candy Keeper in the ski chalet and traded for winter holiday goodies.

Specific emphasis here: DO NOT DELETE Halloween Salvage if you have it (Halloween Masks).  A shop is coming in the future that you can spend this salvage on temp powers, badges and similar goodies like the Candy Keeper offers over in the Ski Chalet.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Arcia

• Underling
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2017, 05:10:12 PM »
Specific emphasis here: DO NOT DELETE Halloween Salvage if you have it (Halloween Masks).  A shop is coming in the future that you can spend this salvage on temp powers, badges and similar goodies like the Candy Keeper offers over in the Ski Chalet.

Hihi, for test I deleted all SALVAGE but when you re-obtain the same salvage name all the stack acquired respawn in your bag.
I'm French, sometime Google translate help me.

Carnada

• Minion
« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2017, 10:28:33 PM »
When does ToT end?
"Choose your causes carefully, if not, if you try to champion every good cause that comes along, you'll wear yourself out, at best, and worse, become a dilettante -- an ineffective dabbler. Pick a few that are the most near and dear to you, and give them your all, trusting that others are out there handling the other causes with equal fervor."

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2017, 05:41:03 AM »
When does ToT end?

See above...

Events
  • For 2017 only, Trick-or-treating has been extended to run through Nov. 16.

The event ended last Thursday.  Don't worry, "Winter's Gift" starts in a couple of weeks!

Carnada

• Minion
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »
See above...

The event ended last Thursday.  Don't worry, "Winter's Gift" starts in a couple of weeks!

Odd, I got salvage yesterday.  That's why I was asking

Surelle

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2017, 03:38:19 AM »
See above...

Yay, OMG!  :)  Wooooooo!  Can't wait.  We finally got a couple more employees into my department at work, so I may go back down to my normal hours soon and be able to play again!  8)

Carnada

• Minion
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2018, 05:03:05 PM »
HELP!!!

I can't log into paragon chat after I got the latest Windows 10 update.  It gets 3/4 of the way to logging in and then fails.  I've tried the repair function but I get an error message that says "there is a problem repairing paragon chat.   Check that you have completely exited Paragon Chat before attempting to repair".  I am all the way out of Paragon Chat, task manager confirms this.

What can I do to fix that that doesn't make me lose all of my badges?

M

MyriVerse

• Prom King 2017
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2018, 10:07:03 PM »
Before you do anything, backup your character database to a flash drive.

It's located here:
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\ParagonChat\Database\ParagonChat.db

Everybody should really be doing this frequently. I do a lot of db hacking for costumes, so I backup at least once a week. I also backup other things like demos.

Not sure what your main problem could be. I'm on Win10, as well, and haven't run into problems.
aka Majadi | Sugar Cane | Absinthe | Killer Antz | Bogatyra | ...
Best Video Game of 2016 -- Paragon Chat!!!
Codewalker for Mayor of Paragon!

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2018, 04:28:21 AM »
Open the side panel of your PC.
Your will find little black boxes with white switches.
Flip the little white switches one by one until your problem is gone.
This procedure comes highly-not-reccommended by anybody who knows anything about computers.
Enjoy!

And as always, don't try this at home, or on your own PC.

lunawisp

• Minion
    • lunawisp - general gaming blog!
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2018, 08:00:20 AM »
Before you do anything, backup your character database to a flash drive.
Everybody should really be doing this frequently. I do a lot of db hacking for costumes, so I backup at least once a week. I also backup other things like demos.

Agreed! I'm still amazed that it's necessary to stress this so often. Computers are machines. They do break. Your backup is the only thing securing the data.  The OS can be replaced, it just takes time. In most cases, the data can't - especially photographs!

Whenever I change *anything* remotely important, I shoot it up to Google Drive as an off site backup, then I copy it to another internal drive and once a week I archive the lot to an external drive. It doesn't take long using one of the multitude of free tools available out there for doing just this sort of thing. It may seem like a lot of messing about but if you lose those once in a lifetime photos or important financial data or anything else you've spent hours or weeks working on, you'll be kicking yourself!

Anyway, getting off my soapbox now :)
lunawisp was my Peacebringer in City of Heroes, she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2018, 06:02:02 AM »
I agree that backups are very important.
I have a separate directory on my c-drive just for backups.
 :)

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2018, 03:46:13 AM »
I agree that backups are very important.
I have a separate directory on my c-drive just for backups.
 :)
I can see this plan not failing. :)