Author Topic: Wasn't sure where to post this but...  (Read 2212 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Wasn't sure where to post this but...
« on: January 20, 2017, 04:38:50 AM »
Was in chat with codewalker earlier before heading to bed, so I thought i'd share this with everyone here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sumZLwFXJqE

Yes, I know, real life money for in game.....whatever...it brings up good points imo.  Specifically on combating hyper-inflation.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Wasn't sure where to post this but...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 06:54:27 AM »
I love Extra Credits' videos. :D

So, I know now how Questionite, Astral Diamonds and Dilithium in Cryptic games came about. :O
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: Wasn't sure where to post this but...
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 09:25:13 PM »
Whats interesting to me, is how questionite cannot really quality as the "Diamond".  Questionite see is earned in-game, so it's in a way, a second "Silver piece".  But whats interesting is how Questionite is tied to Zen, which is the real "Diamond" of CO(and other PWE/Arc games).  As with the "Diamonds" in the Extra credits, Zen is not tradable, the best you can do is sell Zen for questionite or buy zen with questionite.  The Q to Z ratio varies, of course, and has risen over the years(at first around 200q per zen to around 450-550q per zen), but it was a slow and steady inflation.  Of course I think the lack of inflation, and even deflation of Cosmic keys, indicates a shrinking economy in CO.  But that has more to loss of players and lowering of demand for lockbox content.

Overall, I think without Q and if zen was by itself in CO, I wouldn't have been surprised if globals inflated out of control like influence did in CoX.

It makes me think though, if the methods explained in the extra credits video could be used in future CoX successors.  Including of course setting a maximum limit on how much a "diamond" can be worth.  It'd make the economy inflate/deflate more naturally, similar to how I'd been seeing in CO.

It makes me wonder, how Astral diamonds and Dilithium inflated/deflated in the other cryptic games.  Has the amount of those currencies necessary to purchase zen increase or decrease over the years?  How about farm method adjustments even and how they impacted it?
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.