Author Topic: Slope is back!! Some Tips/Tricks (W/ Video, 44 second run)  (Read 2673 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Slope is back!! Some Tips/Tricks (W/ Video, 44 second run)
« on: January 20, 2017, 10:35:12 PM »
Trick 1: Remember basic racing lines:  With only super speed and super jumping, the acceration is limited on the snow but the maximum speed is still the same.  This means that minimizing speed loss is critically important.  Thus, when approaching a tight turn, try to always come in from the far side, approach the corner, pass it, and come out on the other far side.  Failing to do so will often leave you in situations where you'll run streight into the outside of the corner, OR you'll run yourself into the inside of the corner.  In both cases though, even if you do NOT hit a corner, you end up having to turn so sharply as to lose a lot of your speed, and thus killing your time.

Trick 2: From the portal, jump streight to the next gate across the gap, you'll save time.

Trick 3: Jump from THAT gate after the portal to the ice on the small section of track.  Make sure you try to jump as soon as you land in the portal so you have a chance of landing on the ice.

Trick 4: The worst left turn is immedietly after that spot, on the streight away position yourself on the RIGHT and begin a tight turn, it takes practice, and in the video I actually exit slower than my best times(over turned to tightly), but hitting the wood sticking out of the ice at the end of it can throw you into the air and lose you speed.

Trick 5: The left forks are always better, even the one with the jump in it.  The second left fork is significantly shorter and can shave a half second off your time.

This video gives a solid 45 second time, which is well under the gold of (I think) one minute(it may be under 50 for gold, I do not remember).

https://youtu.be/Qt3FE_sGqE4

Edit: As of posting this, I found the left fork in the second y junction to be the better route.

In fact, I have a new record from a near-perfect(Actually looking back at it, I think the hard turn at the end I messed that one up still) run: 44.045 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du-pZtHr0P4&feature=youtu.be

I know, it's hard to see but look closely enough it's visible enough(I was only on 480 in this recording, I do not typically record at max resolution due to space concerns, I probably should though).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:04:07 AM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
Re: Slope is back!! Some Tips/Tricks (W/ Video, 44 second run)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:13:54 AM »
I used to be really good at the slopes, and now... not so much. Always had fun on it.

Need to practice again :) (when I can find time! :-\ )

Lyc~

Marine X

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 09:05:49 PM »
I have been quite a miserable excuse for a Skier lately, just can't seem to stay IN the run, I think once I actually almost collided with the floating Truck. Next I'll probably end up splattered all over Pocket D's Windows like a bug on a windshield. Used to be pretty good at this,just lost the talent I guess, BUT I WANT THOSE BADGES!!!!

Be warned, the slopes are now frequented by a clumsy, careening Marine, keep your heads down and eyes open....lol.
When it's too tough for everyone else,
It's just right for me.......
( unless it's cold, or raining , or dirty,
 or there are Sappers, man I Hate those Guys )
                                                                   Marine X

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 04:27:26 AM »
NEW RECORD!

I have a screenshot but I don't want to upload it into the wrong place :(.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.