Author Topic: So... Big New Update to Marvel Heroes...  (Read 3316 times)

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
So... Big New Update to Marvel Heroes...
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:03:50 AM »
I am... less than impressed, personally.

It has been my 'go-to' for my super hero fix (CO was too 'uncanny valley for me, and DC just didn't suit- mostly the online group I play with, though the movement powers were pretty cool) and to kill time when I have 10-15 minutes to run some side mission thing or do a daily... I knew the changes were coming, and have actually logged in less and less since hearing about it, because what was the point of putting in effort to work on things that won't work the same way anyway... and, well, here it is.

Having a 'wind up' to activate travel powers is just one of the many WTF? moments I've had slogging through it so far. Clunkiest. Mechanic. Ever. And my inventory exploded on me.. mostly with artifact boxes and what I'm almost positive are replacements for cores that were removed from my costumes and given back to me as some other McGuffin (that's already bound to players that I now have to sort through and re-assign... I guess... on all the characters I own (There are only 2 I don't own)

Overall, it seems to me like something to make you want to buy more inventory, futz with numbers more than before even as they seem to mean less as far as I can tell, and sealed with what seems to me a huge overall nerf to characters I worked rather hard to build up well (okay... the three or four I put real effort into at any rate)...

I'm not sure if a lack of discussion on it until now already answers my question... but as I said I, personally, am less than impressed.

Anyone else's thoughts? I'd love any pointers in this 'brave new world'. I'm not a number cruncher _at all_ and even after all this time was just starting to get the hang of the way things worked before.  As much as I futzed around on it, my group and I are definitely in the 'casual player' category.

Lyc~

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
Re: So... Big New Update to Marvel Heroes...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:48:34 PM »
I managed to have all the heroes except for Elektra unlocked with their unique achievement done before the update hit. I was working on cosmic prestige with Rocket before the patch. After the patch he felt so different that I couldn't sort out how I wanted to play him. I didn't even touch Vision who is technically my main. I just decided to take a step back and give it some time. I think I get their reasoning for what they were doing, and I don't necessarily disagree. I think I just need a break. Maybe in a week or two I'll go back and give it another shot.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 07:14:04 AM »
Cap and Ghost Rider are what I consider my 'mains' and they both just feel more 'clunky' to me. Worse is that they took the visual FX off the costumes, and made them unique FX that sits in the same new spot assigned to the buffs that go into costumes... I really hope that doesn't mean we can't have both visual effects and buffs...

The only reason I haven't unlocked Magneto or Green Goblin is for the fact that they're villains (I unlocked the others through BoGos) and have everyone else to 60. All the Uniques except for Jean Grey's egg of the phoenix (again, kept finding myself caring less and less). So, at the end of the day, even if I decide I can't stand any of it, I have the pleasure of having played all the current heroes to 60... but I don't see how that benefits them in the long run... or myself really...

Like you, I think I'll take a break, and come back later with hopefully a different set of eyes. I only bemoan a lack of super-heroic timekiller in the meantime... maybe I'll try DC again... maybe it'll actually let me play part of the Central City expansion I paid for now, other than the powerset (a whole other bucket of worms there)...  :o

Lyc~

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 11:25:47 PM »
I hate it. Hated it on test, hate it in live.

Took me a while to get used to the superfast playstyle compared to CoX but I got there in the end. Now they slow everything down, change all the itemisation, & render (pretty much) useless all the gear I spent an age looking for. I opened the game on live, watched my stash fill to overflow, then wondered whether I could be bothered re-gearing the 20 or so heroes I enjoy playing. Then I got stuck trying to get round a bench. On Nightcrawler.

I haven't played properly since the announcement, and other than a few hours on test to really make sure it was *that* bad, I'm done. This is a live beta at the moment. Maybe if things settle down I'll revisit, but now that Long War 2 is out for XCOM2 I've got plenty to keep my occupied 'till CoT.

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »
I have to agree. Whatever it is they *think* they fixed... the lead-time on travel powers, and the enforced cooldown on rush powers  (as with so many other enforced cool-downs or limits per use powers) has just been painful. I can't bring myself to play it anymore. I log in, get my goodie... and most cases log out... when I try... I just shrug, sigh, and log rather quickly.

(for those who don't know, imagine trying to toggle a travel power and then having to wait for a couple heartbeats before it actually happens...) I just can't get past it. The previous 'rush' power that costs 'endurance' all characters get can do it up to 3 times with a 1 second cooldown in between any recharge so... zip, zip, zip... sit, sit, sit, sit... sit... when in a game that lacked overall creativity (or new content) but the gameplay was quick and easy... now it's the same gameplay you had before but bogged down. (that's to say the same single story line for *every* character, *all* the time... but now even longer and more repeatable, but harder to beat...)

I've actually been plugging in a lot of time in the Lego superhero games lately... they at least seem to get what I'm looking for, even though they're not as open world as I would like for my super hero fix... they've been better than almost all my other alternatives.

Still this update to Marvel has had me miss my City, hard. :(

Lyc~

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 03:26:29 PM »
I just can't get into it. The Diablo clones have never really been my type of game anyways, but I sometimes find them enjoyable in short bursts. Now I don't think I've been able to last more than about 15 minutes logged in to MHO before getting annoyed and logging back out.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 12:44:03 AM »
I decided to give it a try again. I don't care to go back and look through all of the changes that've been made, but that game is fairly enjoyable again. It does seem like a lot of work has/is being put into it. This recent FF IP thing is a bit weird, but for the most part It's alright for the moment. I'm going to give it some more time before making any real judgments.