Author Topic: Smartphone question  (Read 3530 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Smartphone question
« on: February 08, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
I'm thinking of replacing my Palm Treo 680 (long overdue, I know). I don't have Internet access on my phone account, but I'm able to add new apps to the Treo by downloading them on my computer, and then doing a Bluetooth hot sync to install them onto the phone. Is something like that possible with an Android phone, with the computer as middleman? Or do you have to have Internet capability, and download directly onto the phone? Thanks for any help.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
Re: Smartphone question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:38:51 AM »
Android apps come as .apk's.  If your only Internet is on the computer, you can use a USB Cable or SD Card to move apks to the device.  If you find a Wi-Fi hotspot, there's mobile sites where you can download them directly. 

(Very helpful, say, if you want to get a Amazon Fire tablet to sideload the right combo of apps to enable Google Play.  Still takes some trial and error.)

Bluetooth file transfer I haven't tried since my Samsung Moment, and that implementation was terrible.  I haven't done it since.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 07:05:16 AM »
Well, with Palm devices, you could do a "hot sync" to back up your device files on your computer, and to install new files and apps onto the device.

My phone account doesn't have data capability (just phone and text), and I assume that a wi-fi download would still require being able to access the Internet, so it'd have to be the USB cable or the memory-card transfer.

Now, I'm also looking at Windows phones, but I'd assume that USB or memory card would work there, too.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 03:36:41 AM »
Yep.  Windows phones would connect the same as an Android via USB, or using files through SD Card.  Obviously, they'll manage apps very differently.

Personally, I'd avoid Windows phone, as the more popular app developers are either discontinuing support or abandoning their apps from low usage.  (As a former Palm Pre 2 owner, I'm not trying to be anti-Microsoft, the same thing happened there after the HP Touchpad fiasco.)  And it's not as clear where to get Windows phone apps on hobbyist sites.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »
I was informed by T-Mobile that, if I use a wi-fi hotspot, I can connect to the Internet independently of my phone account. So, that should simplify getting apps. (I occasionally use one with my notebook computer, so I don't know why I didn't figure that it would work the same way for a phone; it's just a computer that does voice communication, too.)

LateNights

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 10:37:27 AM »
If you find a Wi-Fi hotspot, there's mobile sites where you can download them directly. 

Must be getting old Mr.Firebug...

;D

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 12:09:43 AM »
New question. In Windows Phone 8.1, how do I set Sunday as the first day of the week, in the Calendar week view? (And never mind telling me to upgrade to Windows Phone 10; I have an animosity against 10 ever since Microsoft tried to sneak it onto my computer without my knowledge or permission.)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 05:57:14 AM »
New question. In Windows Phone 8.1, how do I set Sunday as the first day of the week, in the Calendar week view?

Never mind; I just needd to update my new phone's 8.1 to Lumia Cyan. That gives the option to set the first day of the week.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 02:24:33 AM »
So I'm confused.
With a Windows phone you can make shady calls.
People will be able to see right through you.
You can call home, if the window is open.
You can use the phone to prop open a window.
With a windows phone, you can call the door man.
Are windows phone for the blind?
I shutter to think of using one.
This is an open conversation.
Maybe I should look into a windows phone.