Author Topic: The Magic of CoH, What was and could have been  (Read 1686 times)

JordanYen

• Minion
The Magic of CoH, What was and could have been
« on: February 21, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »
I posted a consolidated summary of my feelings about CoH and my hopes for any game that tries to follow it: http://www.jeremyduffy.com/jordans-town/?page_id=41499 (not a page endorsement, that was just the best place for me to put this).

I welcome comments and suggestions for improvement. I intend it to be a consolidated place for me to list my feelings about what made CoH great and what it needed to do differently.

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
Re: The Magic of CoH, What was and could have been
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:07:57 AM »
Well done!

PseudoCool

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 06:12:18 AM »
Absolutely spot on.

I'm a "solo-builder" myself, and I have to tell you, I LOVED when they came out with the auction house and all the new enhancements with bonuses.  It literally made my original character (level 50 Energy/Electric/Electric Blaster) worth playing again, and making him solo-ready was amazing as well.  Sure, with a little tweaking, my rad/rad/rad defender was the bee's knees (only GM or AV I couldn't basically solo was Ghost Widow), having a blaster that could once again single-shot snipe Lt's from the safety of a window ledge was oh so much fun.

This is the type of things that I, as a "solo-builder" look for in a new game.  I want to build my character to an exacting detail.. I want to have a backstory and a REASON for being there fighting crime (or DOING crimes).. and I want that flexibility to say "ok, this build is for solo, and this build is for teaming" and be able to swap them out, which CoH did really well also near the end.  It's also why I'm chomping at the bit to see actually pulls the rabbit from the hat with the new game.. so far, my money's been here.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »
Good article.

I particularly enjoyed the option to change builds on a single character.
If I wanted a different focus for Dr. Knockem Outcold, I could select my alternate build and alakazam I had my perfect build for a situ.

I miss the game.

Not really sure that any successor can fill it.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"