Author Topic: Statesman is Back... in MXM  (Read 40055 times)

zaprobo

• Minion
    • Journal of a Mastermind
Statesman is Back... in MXM
« on: March 21, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »
Not the kind of relaunch news that most of us want to hear, but NCSOFT has brought Statesman back to life through their upcoming title MXM. I had the chance to play him during a press briefing at PAX East and you can find my writeup (and I had them dig up all the lore for us CoH nerds!) over on MMO Central...

http://www.mmo-central.com/2017/03/21/pax-east-city-heroes-statesman-join-mxm-closed-beta-announced/

And my wife has weighed in on the blacklash MXM is getting...

http://www.mmo-central.com/2017/03/24/statesman-rising-city-heroes-fan-mxm-backlash/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 02:40:25 AM by zaprobo »

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
Re: Statesman is Back... in MXM
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:44:58 PM »
Well this could be the reason they never wanted to sell the game or IP as they wanted to use it still! It seems to me this is an attempt by NCSoft to try and appease the CoH player base by giving them something back from the game... Sorry but I won't be trying it!  >:(

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:27:06 PM »
I hope Nate and team are allowed to and can give an update now. As Statesman is officially being used by NCSOFT I doubt COH is coming back any time soon and that negotiations did not go through. If that's the case it would be nice to not be left hanging.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 02:36:41 PM »
Regardless of what this may mean for a relaunch of CoH - I'm glad that NCSoft will at least be using the IP instead of just putting it in a closet, forgotten forever.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:15:15 PM »
I don't think this means anything beyond that NCSoft used a bunch of characters they had license to for a game. I wish it did mean more, but I don't think it does. At least, not in regards to any future plans they have on releasing or resurrecting CoX in some way. Perhaps they'll prove me wrong. Pardon me if I don't hold my breath waiting.

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
I don't think this means anything beyond that NCSoft used a bunch of characters they had license to for a game. I wish it did mean more, but I don't think it does. At least, not in regards to any future plans they have on releasing or resurrecting CoX in some way. Perhaps they'll prove me wrong. Pardon me if I don't hold my breath waiting.

I find it hard to believe that they'd let someone else use the IP while they have it in use. Plus they developed a backstory which is ahead of where the game was at sunset. If they are controlling the IP, at best they would probably restrict future stories to not compete.

kathena

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:29:22 PM »
If it helps any story-wise that explanation of States' return is straight out of the loregasms and is how it probably would've gone down in CoH.
"In which case, the only question I have to ask is this: How much explosives are you carrying?" -Shadowe

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 03:31:32 PM »
I am just praying that this sparks further news for better or worse. 

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 03:38:41 PM »
Just found out.  Someone must have been rummaging around in the IP junk drawer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra7O7LqNh5w
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

zaprobo

• Minion
    • Journal of a Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 03:44:12 PM »
Not sure anyone has put up the B Roll gameplay footage that was supplied to media yet - where you can here Matt Mercer's voice acting for Statesman... I'll see what I can throw together this evening with it (probably throw some CoH tracks on it as background music and call it a day)

Harermuir

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 04:36:05 PM »
I really admire how you are able to look at this on the bright side ... Personnaly, I just feel insulted once more by NCsoft.

mallerick

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 05:26:44 PM »
Any thoughts on the revamped Atlas Park theme music in that video?

WildFire15

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 07:18:59 PM »
While still not pleased about CoH's shut down, I stopped being angry some time ago. This announcement has made me more curious then anything else as I doubt they'll dredge States out of the 'forgotten IP bin' unless they're either doing something with CoH or dredging out other forgotten characters.

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
I'm not going to read tea leaves over what this could mean.  All I'll say is "not happy."
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 08:02:27 PM »
It is not...inspiring  :(
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 08:27:34 PM »
I really admire how you are able to look at this on the bright side ... Personnaly, I just feel insulted once more by NCsoft.

Me too. If anything it seems to me a legal use of the IP to keep it from being considered 'abandoned' while not really having to do anything with it other than retain the right. This does nothing to bring our City back. If anything, the opposite.

To me, at its most benign, it's an ill-thought out attempt to try and draw former CoH players to play another of their games. I don't care for MOBA's, and overall I just really find it in poor taste, considering how callously they treated the IP and it's player-base.

Lyc~

Surelle

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 08:38:13 PM »
Me too. If anything it seems to me a legal use of the IP to keep it from being considered 'abandoned' while not really having to do anything with it other than retain the right. This does nothing to bring our City back. If anything, the opposite.

To me, at its most benign, it's an ill-thought out attempt to try and draw former CoH players to play another of their games. I don't care for MOBA's, and overall I just really find it in poor taste, considering how callously they treated the IP and it's player-base.

Lyc~

I'm with you on this one, and I agree with the general consensus here.  It's poorly thought out at best.  If they wanted CoH fans to be happy, they should have allowed CoH to be rezzed.  How can they be stupid enough to think they're going to draw CoH players by sticking that Statesman puppet into New RPG#915 of theirs that's just going to get shuttered in a year anyway?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:44:16 PM by Surelle »

JordanYen

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 09:42:22 PM »
Not the kind of relaunch news that most of us want to hear, but NCSOFT has brought Statesman back to life through their upcoming title MXM. I had the chance to play him during a press briefing at PAX East and you can find my writeup (and I had them dig up all the lore for us CoH nerds!) over on MMO Central...

http://www.mmo-central.com/2017/03/21/pax-east-city-heroes-statesman-join-mxm-closed-beta-announced/

Lol. I won't be giving any money to NCSoft ever again after the crap they pulled. They have far from earned our forgiveness. Even if they apologize, they need to make it up to us. I don't see how I would accept anything less than open-sourcing the original game at this point..

JordanYen

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 09:43:53 PM »
I find it hard to believe that they'd let someone else use the IP while they have it in use. Plus they developed a backstory which is ahead of where the game was at sunset. If they are controlling the IP, at best they would probably restrict future stories to not compete.

It really makes no sense. We already know CoH wasn't popular in Korea. What are they reserving the IP for? They already burnt all bridges with the US market when it comes to heroes.

JordanYen

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 09:44:31 PM »

Ding! This is just a slap in the face.