Author Topic: Statesman is Back... in MXM  (Read 39844 times)

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
Re: Statesman is Back... in MXM
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2017, 05:58:33 PM »
Initial Report:

Game has stupidly catchy music. Was able to pick up Statesman in the beta after 2 tutorial things and grabbed his Tyrant Skin as well (which is what I'll be using, given that he is actually Tyrant :P ). Using him in the game is fairly interesting given he doesn't have dodge mechanics like most others do, he uses and invuln shield instead (which makes sense).

I'll be playing some more and checking out the non-story missions with Statesrant to see what is up.

My only current problem with the game is that it basically forces you to use two characters in each of the game modes so you can "tag in" and out with your other character. IDGAF about the other characters (unless they release more CoH/V characters, which they very well could) and just want to play Statesrant :P

I'd say if you even have an inkling of interest, check out the closed beta, don't buy anything (I won't) and you should get a good idea if you want to play the game when it fully launches.
Missing this great game.

Surelle

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2017, 06:35:24 PM »
Initial Report:

Game has stupidly catchy music. Was able to pick up Statesman in the beta after 2 tutorial things and grabbed his Tyrant Skin as well (which is what I'll be using, given that he is actually Tyrant :P ). Using him in the game is fairly interesting given he doesn't have dodge mechanics like most others do, he uses and invuln shield instead (which makes sense).

I'll be playing some more and checking out the non-story missions with Statesrant to see what is up.

My only current problem with the game is that it basically forces you to use two characters in each of the game modes so you can "tag in" and out with your other character. IDGAF about the other characters (unless they release more CoH/V characters, which they very well could) and just want to play Statesrant :P

I'd say if you even have an inkling of interest, check out the closed beta, don't buy anything (I won't) and you should get a good idea if you want to play the game when it fully launches.

I have no interest in playing myself, but I am trying to picture just what type of game this is.  Is it a MOBA like LoL where everyone has to be stuck in "lanes" and fight their way down their alleyway to a certain goal point at the end?  People also tend to call arena shooters like Overwatch (which is really just Team Fortress 3 with World of Warcraft-type characters in it) MOBAs, too, when they're really not much like RPG MOBAs (LoL, Heroes of the Storm, etc.).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:05:47 PM by Surelle »

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »
They do have a traditional 5v5 Dota Style map to play with some different and interesting changes, but they also have a 3v3 Deathmatch style game mode that is fairly fun as well. In addition to those they also have some story mode missions that you play your characters (since you are required to take a second person for tags and RPS mechanics) through against a bunch of minions and a boss or two (maybe more)

WASD to move, you have QER for abilities and ultimates, Right Click for avoidance abilities and C for some special powers for any character to use. Aim with your mouse, left click for basic attacks.

I'm sure they'll have other modes down the line, they seem to be focusing on allowing people to play their masters just about any way they want.
Missing this great game.

ScottyB

• Minion
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2017, 11:13:20 PM »
It's worth pointing out they give you 20K currency during the beta. I don't think you even can spend money yet, and I expect other than test-specific titles all progress will be reset before it goes live.

Outside of beta, Statesman should still be easy to get for free. Completing the tutorial and 1 day's worth of challenges should net the 10 SOL to unlock him. (Gross SOL of 12, at least 2 SOL spent during the tutorial to unlock another Master unless you buy one with other currency.)

Statesman/Sizuka is a risky melee combo, you could build Statesman for tank/support and Sizuka for damage.

Statesman/Merope seems to work well, States being melee and Merope being ranged. Her run animation is flight which is nice.

I think MXM has the potential to catch the interest of a lot of casual players with the ARPG solo-able content.

There's a Blade & Soul map to fight Poharan and collect items to unlock her; which prompted someone on reddit to suggest a Task Force-themed map, with links to ParagonWiki, and a dev replied that was an "epic idea" (no promises, obviously). It would probably be a good way to introduce at least one more City of Heroes/Villains character.

Within an hour of beta opening, I saw a handful of other players in the social hub using Statesman and/or Tyrant as their representative master. Considering the fact that he's not a cute and/or sexy anime girl, I suspect that's quite an achievement. Time will tell if players show interest in Statesman, or if the devs try to incorporate more COH content, and (longshot) if this does anything to get NCSoft interested in running a legacy server.

zaprobo

• Minion
    • Journal of a Mastermind
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2017, 08:01:54 PM »
I am seriously hoping for Lord Recluse to make a splash into MXM though from a lore perspective I'm not sure how you'd shoehorn Stefan Richter into being on the good side of things. Probably be more likely to bring in some more Freedom Phalanx, alas (though having Recluse as a Summoner type bringing in Bane Spiders would be cool..)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2017, 08:42:04 PM »
I don't even like that CoT is doing any sort of business with NC, and if I had known that I probably would NOT have pitched into their kickstarter to be honest.
... CoT is not doing any sort of business with NCSoft.  Where did you hear that?

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2017, 11:21:57 PM »
I am seriously hoping for Lord Recluse to make a splash into MXM though from a lore perspective I'm not sure how you'd shoehorn Stefan Richter into being on the good side of things. Probably be more likely to bring in some more Freedom Phalanx, alas (though having Recluse as a Summoner type bringing in Bane Spiders would be cool..)

Well they put a Blade and Soul Boss into the game, so it wouldn't be too hard to put any other character into the game.

All of the Masters are working together to free Earth (a generic Earth it seems not any specific Earth) from an enemy force known as Atlas. So it's perfect that Lord Recluse (and Arachnos) would come here to try and take over.
Missing this great game.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »
I don't even like that CoT is doing any sort of business with NC, and if I had known that I probably would NOT have pitched into their kickstarter to be honest.
CoT isn't doing any business with NC. I helped a group be introduced to NC, independent of my work with CoT, and once that was done my part was finished.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2017, 01:11:37 AM »
If anyone was going to buy MxM due to States being in it, prepare to be pancaked off https://www.playmxm.com/en/shop/founders . For the lowlow price of $100 you can play as the once great hero yourself :(
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2017, 01:20:01 AM »
If anyone was going to buy MxM due to States being in it, prepare to be pancaked off https://www.playmxm.com/en/shop/founders . For the lowlow price of $100 you can play as the once great hero yourself :(
*gerk*

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2017, 01:26:36 AM »

So much for "maybe they're being nice to City of Heroes veterans."  Asking us to pay to be Statesman in this game is forgivable at certain tiers, but past $30 it becomes less of an apology... and more of a middle finger
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Surelle

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2017, 02:03:55 AM »

Holy smoke, that's disgusting.  I'm not playing it anyway, and haven't even played the beta, but maybe they will let people buy only the single characters they actually want for a much more reasonable price after launch?

That's gross, though.  *shakes head*  Which doesn't really surprise me, now that I think of it, because this *is* NCSoft we're dealing with after all.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2017, 02:40:25 AM »
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2017, 06:36:23 AM »
Folks, chill.

This is a standard practice in this section of the industry. Statesman is NOT exclusive to that $100 pack and you can get him using in-game, non cash shop currency.

The design of these packs is to get people to buy out the characters they want and frontload a bit of their profit to continue development of the game.

You can get States without paying a dime, don't get angry over things that aren't actual problems.
Missing this great game.

ScottyB

• Minion
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2017, 07:09:33 AM »
In addition to Sol for unlocking masters for free, it looks like there's enough one-off challenges that award Xcoin that picking up a couple of the cheaper skins (which is Tyrant's price point) should be possible for free, as well.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2017, 02:56:25 PM »
I'm sure MxM is a fine game but that, for me, is not the point.

Putting States/Tyrant in the game does not attract me to the game.
While the lore of CoX was fun, the individual NPC's do not make me
drool to play a game that I don't want to play.

Playing my OWN creation in that lore was what drew me to the game
initially.

The masterfully crafted community system is what kept me playing to the end.

I've played other MMO's that should have offered the same experience.

CO was fine, quirky and klunky, but fine. Just not what I was expecting as a
long-time player of the tabletop.

MCUO was okay, but as much as playing the Marvel toons was a childhood
fantasy of mine, I quickly got over it.

DCUO was good with the lore, engaging right away but the pay wall ruined
an otherwise acceptable game.

I'm not asking much, but please do not try to placate me by jangling keys
in my face and saying 'Oh pretty, pretty'.   ;D
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2017, 04:06:31 PM »
I think a fair amount of us get that.

But there is also a certain amount of former CoH players who loved the established heroes just as much as their own.

This decision to put Statesman (and potentially others) into this game won't attract the entire CoH audience or even a small amount of them like they hoped they would, and in fact will repulse a large amount of players due to the "flaunting of our IP in our faces", but there will be some people who are happy seeing their universe at least acknowledged by someone other than ourselves.

No one HAS to play this game, no one HAS to give NCSoft money. But I've turned from absolutely furious about their lack of foresight into mildly interested to continue playing this at launch and each time a new CoX character comes out (if that happens).

I also can't be angry at the people working on and promoting this game because a vast majority of them either weren't with the company at the time of the Sunset or weren't involved with that decision. If you want to be angry at someone, be angry at the original Korean decision makers.
Missing this great game.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »
Hey thanks ross134.

To be clear, I am not so much angry at NCSoft as I am disappointed.

Any character in their IP is theirs to do with as they see fit. No argument from me.

From a business standpoint it would make sense to include States IF there was a
chance that the player base would want to crossover.

This would be even more effective if the game that was crossing over was still in
the market.

However, NCSoft is shying away from the market that was interested in CoX.
So one might surmise that they are:
1) Using a model that they already have to save money (does MxM run on the same engine as CoX)
2) Utilizing an old IP that will move the community to a new IP (bit of a gamble for very little payback)
3) Signalling a change in direction with the IP in question (possible but unlikely, I think)
4) Simply incorporating the IP as part of a wider marketing strategy (no such thing as bad press)  ;)
5) Either they are gloriously clueless or malignantly cruel (neither of which I readily believe)

Or there may be other motivations, I can't read minds. But I have been in the boardrooms of
companies larger than NCSoft and I have a glimpse of experience when it comes to how this
particular animal thinks and acts.

When companies roll out a product, they do well to lay the ground work.

If NCSoft is trying to build goodwill with the CoX player base in the hope that it would buy into MxM,
they should lay the ground work in such a way which engages the community. This did not.

I hope that NCSoft does well with any of their properties, but I am not the demographic they are looking
for in their current lineup.

downix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2017, 09:17:02 PM »
Remember, Trademarks have a "use them or loose them" nature. One of the reasons why City of Titans has t-shirts for sale is to maintain our trademark. The inclusion of Statesman would be considered "use" of the City of Heroes trademark.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2017, 10:01:22 PM »
Respectfully downix,

Trademarks expire by law after 10 years unless the owner files an Application for Renewal before the end of the tenth year following the date of registration. Provided there are no problems, the trademark will be renewed for another 10 years.

Renewal of the application is far less expensive or time consuming than including the iconic character in an unrelated property.  ;)