Author Topic: Statesman is Back... in MXM  (Read 40092 times)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
Re: Statesman is Back... in MXM
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2017, 01:20:57 AM »
Respectfully downix,

Trademarks expire by law after 10 years unless the owner files an Application for Renewal before the end of the tenth year following the date of registration. Provided there are no problems, the trademark will be renewed for another 10 years.

Renewal of the application is far less expensive or time consuming than including the iconic character in an unrelated property.  ;)
Only if active. Inactive trademarks can be lost after 5 years.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2017, 02:09:34 AM »
CoH Freedom is a live trademark.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2017, 02:49:43 AM »
CoH Freedom is a live trademark.
Yes, and it would have been a dead trademark if not used.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2017, 03:33:25 AM »
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

ScottyB

• Minion
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2017, 04:42:12 AM »
And a list of things that have (and have not) been used to excuse nonuse of a trademark compiled by [Smith & Hopen](http://www.smithhopen.com/news_detail/561/Is_Non-Use_of_a_Trademark_Excusable) that I found interesting.

It looks like negotiations for sale of the IP might be an excuse for nonuse to maintain the trademark, since it's presumed the buyer would have those rights assigned as part of the sale and would then use them.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »
Thanks ScottyB.  ;)

Wow, lawyering is HARD.

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2017, 11:01:58 PM »
Watching the official PlayMXM channel and asked a question about potentially seeing more CoH/V Masters for the game.

I don't want to read too much into what was said but Sean Orlikowski (the individual who pushed to get States in the game in the first place) stated that there is only one more Master coming before Launch but they aren't going to be talking about it until the Open Beta Phase. Given who it was from and that was the direct answer to my question it could mean there is at least one more "City of" character coming with Launch.

Or they could just want to dodge the question, lol.

I like to think that we have at least one more coming, so I'll report back when I can :)

EDIT: Sean just elaborated that the last character yet to be revealed IS from an NCSoft game, so that does weight more towards getting another CoH (could also mean someone from any other random NCSoft game lol)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:32:26 PM by ross134 »
Missing this great game.

Surelle

« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2017, 03:15:22 AM »
Watching the official PlayMXM channel and asked a question about potentially seeing more CoH/V Masters for the game.

I don't want to read too much into what was said but Sean Orlikowski (the individual who pushed to get States in the game in the first place) stated that there is only one more Master coming before Launch but they aren't going to be talking about it until the Open Beta Phase. Given who it was from and that was the direct answer to my question it could mean there is at least one more "City of" character coming with Launch.

Or they could just want to dodge the question, lol.

I like to think that we have at least one more coming, so I'll report back when I can :)

EDIT: Sean just elaborated that the last character yet to be revealed IS from an NCSoft game, so that does weight more towards getting another CoH (could also mean someone from any other random NCSoft game lol)

Honestly, I think that as the reaction from former CoH players to Tyrant being in MxM has been so universally bad overall, I doubt they will put another CoH character into MxM anytime soon.  If I was them, I'd stick to characters from live games, though, instead of dredging up someone from, say, Tabula Rasa next or something.  Even if they have another CoH character ready to go, they'd be way smarter to back-burner it for the foreseeable future.

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2017, 03:52:30 AM »
Honestly, I think that as the reaction from former CoH players to Tyrant being in MxM has been so universally bad overall, I doubt they will put another CoH character into MxM anytime soon.  If I was them, I'd stick to characters from live games, though, instead of dredging up someone from, say, Tabula Rasa next or something.  Even if they have another CoH character ready to go, they'd be way smarter to back-burner it for the foreseeable future.

Don't you think we'd still have our game if they cared about reactions from our community? ;)

For realz tho, Statesrant has actually been pretty well received by the non-CoH players of MXM. People are slowly beginning to realize that he's pretty good in the game and it's given some people reason to check out what the game used to be. Kinda a win there IMO.
Missing this great game.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2017, 04:51:28 PM »
MxM will be competing directly with LoL, DOTA, HOTS, Smite, and other MOBAs, there have been multiple MOBAs closed down (DC Infinite Crisis, Dawngate, Sins Of A Dark Age, WH40K Dark Nexus)

What does MxM offer that those others don't? Are any of the IPs they own strong enough to carry the game to a large audience (considering the bridges they've burned with their own game communities) The only one of their masters I even recognise is Statesman. it looks like a very generic MOBA from the videos i've seen.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2017, 05:19:07 PM »
MxM will be competing directly with LoL, DOTA, HOTS, Smite, and other MOBAs, there have been multiple MOBAs closed down (DC Infinite Crisis, Dawngate, Sins Of A Dark Age, WH40K Dark Nexus)

What does MxM offer that those others don't? Are any of the IPs they own strong enough to carry the game to a large audience (considering the bridges they've burned with their own game communities) The only one of their masters I even recognise is Statesman. it looks like a very generic MOBA from the videos i've seen.

Good point.

The weight of adding Statesman to this game does not draw my interest.
If I was into MOBAs it would be "Hey, that's cool." But I am not.
Clearly, I am not the audience.  :)

ScottyB

• Minion
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2017, 10:36:11 PM »

The only interesting mechanic, IMO, is the tag-out (you choose two masters, and can switch between them with a cool down, and the master in reserve regens health/energy). So you can pair a DPS with a tank, or a CC with a DPS, or different types of DPS (sustained auto attack + nuke) switching either as the situation calls for it, or using the tag-out for the brief damage immunity buff.

There's also a lot of PVE content, and PVE-specific challenges. Free players can only do random PVE stages* unless they buy or grind for tickets, which is the only thing keeping PVE from being like handing out a free single-player game. * Although there are some PVE stages that are always available, because they're used for grinding event tokens or parts to unlock masters. The PVE is fairly satisfying, and I enjoy switching from my DPS to Statesman when things get tough. (He's more of a bruiser than a straight tank, too.)

10 of the 30-ish masters are from NCSoft titles, the remaining 2/3 being original characters for MXM, so it's not strictly an "all-stars" game like Smash Bros.

They're going to have an uphill battle, though. Not only because other MOBA are well-established by now and other latecomers have already died, but grinding out in-game currency is hella easy - even if it gets nerfed before going live; and cash shop currency while not strictly "more expensive" is at the higher end of current MOBAs (and can be earned free by grinding). I think the rewards fall well within the majority of gamers' grind tolerance. But if they go and nerf rewards without making the cash shop better bang-for-buck or getting players hooked, they're going to be in for a bad time.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2017, 06:27:30 AM »
It appears Ghost Widow is also in MXM

http://i.imgur.com/6mq8KAS.jpg

Sigh

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
She got a bit thick in her time off.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2017, 05:56:05 PM »
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

RybackStun

• Minion
  • NT-Flamer
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2017, 02:34:34 AM »
The worst part about it, if you want to earn her, you gotta spend tokens AND earn event currency in order to unlock her. Hella annoying honestly but I'll still grind it out.
Missing this great game.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2017, 02:54:30 AM »
She got a bit thick in her time off.

She's got a mag 100 hold on the cookies.

Surelle

« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2017, 02:59:32 AM »
It appears Ghost Widow is also in MXM

http://i.imgur.com/6mq8KAS.jpg

Sigh

Yeesh.  Well, after the initial kick in the teeth that was Statesman, it doesn't really matter what they do now.  They can't really piss off CoX fans any more than they already have.  We're at max velocity in that department anyway.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2017, 03:11:39 AM »
We look toward one or more successful launches of replacements to our beloved game.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2017, 02:34:56 PM »
Yeesh.  Well, after the initial kick in the teeth that was Statesman, it doesn't really matter what they do now.  They can't really piss off CoX fans any more than they already have.  We're at max velocity in that department anyway.

Not necessarily true -- how would you feel if you woke up tomorrow to learn your main was now an MXM character?